Dating A Single Parent

White Dove

I am a single woman in my late 20s and I'm seeing a single father in his late 30s. In a few weeks, I will be joining him permanently. As of now, it is a LDR.

I have never met his kids and I'm sure when the time is right, he will introduce me to them.

I'm hoping for some insights on dating a single mother/father. Maybe from single parents who are dating and also, singles dating single parents.

I have never been married and have no kids of my own, however, I was told that I am good with kids -- mostly with my siblings' and friends' kids.

I hope to hear from posters who are in the same situation and especially those who are seeing their partner's kids regularly or living together.

Thanks in advance!

My stepdaughter was five when I started dating her father; we're married now and she lives with us three days out of every week.

How old are your bf's children? How many of them are there? How long has he been separated/divorced from their mom?

I am a little disturbed that you will "be joining him permenently" in a few weeks and haven't met the kids yet.

I would never ever move someone into my home without introducing them to my kids and WATHCING THEM LIKE A HAWK before making that choice.

On the other hand, my asshat ex husband introduces our sons to a new step mom and step kids about twice a year, we don't hear from him when he's single.

I guess I'd recommend caution with the guy. the kids, don't try to boss them around, that's his job, and don't try to buy them off with generic gifts. Be pleasant and let them monopolize his time when they get to come over and when yo get to know them better, be their friend.

Yeah its a little disturbing that you are moving in without meeting the kids.

Im a single parent dating a single parent and its not easy.. I would guess not ever having children will make a little more difficult for you, not know how to react and what to expect.

Good advice about not bossing the kids around, but you need to make a huge effort to build some sort of relationship with the child... And you and the father need to sit down way ahead of time and hammer out some of the details.. Wait.. do the kids live with him?

I am a little disturbed that you will "be joining him permenently" in a few weeks and haven't met the kids yet.

Yes, this leaped out at me, too. I am hoping 'joining permanently' does not mean 'moving in with right away'.

Are you moving near this guy or actually joining his household?

• Author

Joining him permanently in his country, not living with him. We'll be living separately.

His kids are not staying with him, however he can have them over whenever he wants to and definitely on weekends.

The kids are 9 and 5, a girl and a boy. He's been divorced for about 4 - 5 years now. Because of the distance, we've had several fall-outs and about a couple of years ago decided what we wanted from one another.

I do not wish to boss anyone around. I don't even boss my nieces around!

Loxx, what sort of details do I need to talk over with my bf?