matching tattoos??

sarah1268

]Ok so my boyfriend and I are having our one year anniversary next month and he gave a suggestion about what we might like to do, i was expecting dinner etc like a normal couple but no, he wants us to get matching tattoos! Not names or anything but something that is meaningful to both of us

Now, I like tattoos, I have one and so does he, but he knows I’ve got a thing for sleeves on guys and now hes got his heart set on one ( i hope its not to impress me) but anyway Im only 19 and hes 20, i just hope im not making a mistake getting one with him when im so young, what does everyone think? Romantic or stupid

Feelin Frisky

Sorry but tatoos are always a subtraction and never an addition.

xpaperxcutx

As romantic as it sounds, it's still stupid. I mean getting branded about another person is always an uncertainty especially if you're not sure about the future together. You may be lovey dovey, but there's always the possibility of breaking up. Not to mention, tattoos can only be removed with laser surgery, and most likely you'll have a scar in the future.

I would suggest you guys stick with something practical and save the tattooing for the future, at least until your " golden' anniversary.

I love tattoos on me and on others, but this is just a stupid idea. Get a tattoo for you and not for anyone else.

I remember what my tattooist had in his studio:

"Never get a tattoo concerning another person. Relationships come and go. Tattoos are for life."

You don't for sure know that you won't be looking at that five years from now and thinking "I wish I'd never had that done! The guy was such a douchebag!"

Tattoos are only a subtraction when they're done for dumb reasons.

Some tattoos in some cultures are ceremonial, and some Buddhist monks have tattoos for personal practice reasons.

so to make a wide and sweeping statement like "tatoos are always a subtraction and never an addition" is ill-thought-out, careless and inaccurate.

The difference between people with tattoos and people without tattoos, is that people with tattoos don't give a schyt, that other people don't have tattoos.

Apart from when they make senseles remarks like that one. :rolleyes:;)

MyNameIsJane
]Ok so my boyfriend and I are having our one year anniversary next month and he gave a suggestion about what we might like to do, i was expecting dinner etc like a normal couple but no, he wants us to get matching tattoos! Not names or anything but something that is meaningful to both of us

Now, I like tattoos, I have one and so does he, but he knows I’ve got a thing for sleeves on guys and now hes got his heart set on one ( i hope its not to impress me) but anyway Im only 19 and hes 20, i just hope im not making a mistake getting one with him when im so young, what does everyone think? Romantic or stupid

Okay... ignoring how some above posters feel about tattoos, I will say a few things.

I love tattoos.... *ahem* I love MY tattoos... Meaning...more often than not... nobody really likes your tattoo but you...

obviously your bf will - but to be honest... I have been with my BF a year, and if he asked me to do it - I would... But I feel like I would in a heartbeat, where as you almost talked yourself out of it in your initial post.

I would say wait - It isn't like it is a deal breaker if you dont get it - and if you are in it for the long run... hey, tattoos are for life, it wont matter if you get it now or a year from now

Eh, I would agree with most.

If I read the post correctly... sleeves was a thought? Those get awfully pricey.

The shop that I go to, all of the artists refuse to do to tattoos of that nature.

Hate to rain on the parade.. but at least wait.

I have friends that do this. BUT!

They are married, and they get the matching tattoos to celebrate new places they visit; not their commitment to each other. Even if they someday divorce, the tattoos still mean something personal to them as individuals.

Don't do it.

I like tattoos and everything they represent, but I'm not sure that even I'd do this...

Tattoos should be significant enough so that what they represent will never change. Getting a person or a band is dumb because you could stop liking either of those.

I have a single tattoo relating to my heritage, because that won't change until the day I die.

No no no no no no no

Do not invest in a tattoo with another person. Its a bad bad bad idea. Tattoos should be highly personal and they are permanent, whereas the boyfriend is most likely not.

Honestly, its the stupidest anniversary idea I've ever heard of. I"d reconsider the amount of time I spend with him based on the judgment shown in the suggestion.

Mimolicious

Stupid when it is done for another person. 10 years from now, when you look at your tat you are going to think of the person... most likely not in a *lovely* way. Don't do it. Get matching bracelets or a charm.

Actually, it is both romantic and stupid. Romantic because getting a permanent mark on yourself that relates to your SO is a pretty flamboyant statement of affection. Stupid because if your relationship ever sours, you may be sorry you ever made that flamboyant statement.

reservoirdog1

The badness of that idea can't be overstated, particularly given (a) your young ages, and (b) the fact that you've only been together for a year.

About three years ago, the woman I was dating at the time told me she wanted to get a tattoo. The particular design she wanted, while small, symbolized her and me. I thought this was a very bad idea, given that we'd only known each other for about nine months, and we'd had a breakup and been back together for only a couple of months.

The problem was, it turned out there wasn't really a good way for me to express that I thought it was a bad idea. Much as I tried to put it delicately, she took my views as "unromantic" and an indication that I wasn't committed to the relationship. That led to a fight which led to the first of many near-breakups after the two-month one. Totally a no-win situation. When the relationship finally ended a year and a half later, the badness of the idea was made even more clear.

Tattoos are permanent. Relationships often aren't.

make me believe

This is a HORRIBLE idea!!

DON'T DO IT.

Even though it's not his name, it's still a symbol of him/your relationship. And lets face it, you are only 19, it is very unlikely that you are going to spend the rest of your life with this guy. So a few yrs from now, when this guy is long gone, will you be happy having a reminder of him inked onto your body forever? That'll be a fun one to explain to future boyfriends.

• Author

I would like to thank you all for your input. But guess what, were booked in! I understand peoples point of view and i bought it up with the bf, so we have both decided to get something that is meaningful to us as individuals as well as a couple. we are both atheist and our views we share on this are individal, (i felt this way before we met) and its something we have in common so were going to get a quote that symbolises this.

thanks for all your input guys.

What's the old saying? "Love may not last forever but your tattoo will"

Something like that. The only way I would consider getting a tattoo regarding my significant other would be if we were married.