A date I didn't think was a date that turned into a date

tigressA

There's a guy I was talking to on OKCupid for the last few weeks. He had sent me an initial message that left me with the impression he was just looking for a new friend or two (he said he was relatively new to where he lives). We talked fairly often, hit it off, and agreed to meet up yesterday. There was nothing prior to the meeting to indicate it was a date, all correspondence was 150% platonic. I'd friendzoned him, basically.

We met up for drinks, but then it turned into dinner. He was really nice, very charming. Not totally my type physically, but still cute. Things got flirty. It wasn't long before I was seeing him in a whole other light (if it matters to anyone he paid, despite my protests).

He was a straight talker, saying he preferred to get certain things out of the way early so there are no questions later. We talked about what we're looking for (long-term), and then he said he wanted to make out with me. I haven't had a guy say that to me ever, and I'm not sure why, but it really turned me on. :laugh: We had a hardcore makeout session in the backseat of his car.

We've exchanged a few texts so far today, and have tentative plans for this weekend. It's strange because I went into it with the intention of coming away with a new friend, and now at the thought of seeing him again I feel a little tingly. :o I guess I'll see what happens from here on out...

There's a guy I was talking to on OKCupid for the last few weeks.

Do you mind posting his physical stats?

He was attractive in person (even though virtually 'friend-zoned') and made provocative statements on your first date. You responded with 'tingly'.

Enjoy :)

Star Gazer
It's strange because I went into it with the intention of coming away with a new friend, and now at the thought of seeing him again I feel a little tingly. :o I guess I'll see what happens from here on out...

That's exactly how I felt about my BF when we met... Hehehehe...

• Author

As far as the attraction went, I found the straight-talking--in addition to his accent ;)--helped a lot. I do find myself very attracted to no-nonsense guys, as I'm pretty no-nonsense myself. I'd seen a couple pictures of him on his profile, but didn't think he was really anything to write home about. Once the whole package came together in person though, things changed.

Well, if this one's a local (no traveling), that sounds great. In-person is always the litmus test, IMO. Glad it went well and, more importantly for this guy who rarely does, he met a cool single lady. Gives me hope :)

• Author

Aw, thanks Carhill. :love: You've always been one of my favorites here on LS, so I feel very honored.

He isn't local, but he does live closer than almost any of the other guys I previously posted about, which is good, and he doesn't have any qualms about commuting. If things continue, soon enough I'll be able to make trips of my own, so it'll be more even.

So, not as far as DC, but out of the city. OK, cool. Having done some online dating the past few months, it's nice to be pleasantly surprised in person. Hope things work out :)

somedude81

Isn't OKCupid a dating site?

Why would you assume a man you met on a dating site wouldn't want to have a date? That's not one of the first places men go to make female friends.

I'm glad it worked out for him.

Crazy Magnet

You can set preferences on OKC I believe to indicate what you are looking for. I'd considered looking for new friends guys and girls on there, but I haven't had time to get around to it.

I'm glad things took an unexpected turn for the better! That's always a nice surprise!

• Author
Isn't OKCupid a dating site?

Why would you assume a man you met on a dating site wouldn't want to have a date? That's not one of the first places men go to make female friends.

I'm glad it worked out for him.

Yeah, it is a dating site, but in his initial message to me he clearly said he was looking for a "good friend"...and as I said, there was nothing in our subsequent contact, until the date itself, to make me believe otherwise.

CM: Yeah, you can set preferences. I'd looked at his profile and his details said he was looking for "activity partners", nothing else. And I don't really think it was a turn for the better. I would've come away with either a new friend or a relationship prospect. Just happened to be the latter, is all. :)

somedude81
Yeah, it is a dating site, but in his initial message to me he clearly said he was looking for a "good friend"...and as I said, there was nothing in our subsequent contact, until the date itself, to make me believe otherwise.

CM: Yeah, you can set preferences. I'd looked at his profile and his details said he was looking for "activity partners", nothing else. And I don't really think it was a turn for the better. I would've come away with either a new friend or a relationship prospect. Just happened to be the latter, is all. :)

Got it. It's obvious what his plan was, and it worked.

As long as the both of you had a good time, that's all the mattered.

We've exchanged a few texts so far today, and have tentative plans for this weekend. It's strange because I went into it with the intention of coming away with a new friend, and now at the thought of seeing him again I feel a little tingly. :o I guess I'll see what happens from here on out...

yes it always happens when u least expect it

• Author

There wasn't any contact between us since the text messages I mentioned, until yesterday. He'd sent me a message on the site saying "So how was your week? I must admit that you were very distracting all week :)". I thought, "Hmm, if I were really that distracting, you would've contacted me before this, and set up another date." I'd mostly forgotten about him until he contacted me yesterday. I don't care much about what happens now.

I had an all-day date with someone else on Thursday that went very well, so I'm going to see where that goes.