Couples living together before marriage higher divorce rate?

I've heard that if you live with your SO before marriage, you're more likely to end up in divorce. Can anyone explain to me why this is?

PhillySpecial

I read that its because couples who live together prior to marriage don't have as much respect for the institution of marriage as couples who don't. Also, because couples who live togther for a few years prior to marriage often get married because they feel pressure to do so.

Crazy Magnet

I'm not with the majority on this one, had I lived with my exH prior to marriage I would have found out what a lying, cheating, dirt bag he was before I walked down the isle and saved myself extreme heart ache and financial strain. I can't say I'd get married again without living with someone.

Could also be that couple that won't live together also don't end a bad marriage as easily as couple that will live together.

I read that its because couples who live together prior to marriage don't have as much respect for the institution of marriage as couples who don't. Also, because couples who live togther for a few years prior to marriage often get married because they feel pressure to do so.