So I decided to try OkCupid...

Johnny M

I don't have much experience with online dating. I tried plenty of fish a couple of years back, but then figured it was a waste of time and deleted my profile. So now that I'm single again, I decided to try give online dating another try and signed up for OkCupid. What I find amazing about that site is just how shockingly unattractive the women on it are. It's actually quite mind-boggling. I can literally go through a hundred profiles without coming across anyone I would find even remotely attractive. And I'm not looking for supermodels here - just girls who are not overweight or too short and who have attractive facial features. And no, it's not because of my location - I live a major metropolitan area and there is no shortage of good looking girls here.

So is OkCupid a refuge for ugly women who can't find dates in real life? And are pay sites any better - or is it just the nature of online dating in general?

So is OkCupid a refuge for ugly women who can't find dates in real life? And are pay sites any better - or is it just the nature of online dating in general?

I think it is the nature of online dating.

I was on all of the sites up until the end of last year. The men my age were mostly unemployed or illiterate (can't comment on the women). But I got a LOT of hits from *boys* who wanted a hot cougar (which apparently I am).

I gave up...

I've met some interesting people there, and one who makes me glad I joined that site all alone. Ended up being one of my best friends.

homersheineken

I've thought the site has worked well. I've met plenty of attractive women on there. It's the only site I really use.

• Author
I think it is the nature of online dating.

I was on all of the sites up until the end of last year. The men my age were mostly unemployed or illiterate (can't comment on the women). But I got a LOT of hits from *boys* who wanted a hot cougar (which apparently I am).

I gave up...

Well, that doesn't sound very encouraging...

DustySaltus

I think that on the pay sites you will find women that are a lot more serious about meeting someone but not necessarily more attractive.

I get on the subway every morning and see one or two good looking women in my car of the train out of let's say 50. So it's a numbers game like anything else.

• Author
I get on the subway every morning and see one or two good looking women in my car of the train out of let's say 50. So it's a numbers game like anything else.

Fair enough, but OkCupid's selection seems particularly dreadful. I'm actually getting depressed looking at pictures of women there.

Also remember that some people do not photograph well. I've seen girls that are so-so in a picture, but are very hot in real life. I've been told I look much better in person and that I don't photograph well :eek:. One girl told me that I was very attractive, but my photo didn't show it.

But if they are very overweight, then there is nothing you can do about that. If these girls only knew how much getting in shape would help them in every aspect of their life. Sadly, I've almost given up on that rant. If they want to be miserable, who am I to stop them.

I'm on OKCupid as well and I've met a few great guys, one of whom I'm still seeing. There is a very large share of unattractive men on there though, as I'm sure I'd see on any other site. Like DustySaltus said, it's a numbers game. I had to be patient before I encountered the good ones.

Fair enough, but OkCupid's selection seems particularly dreadful. I'm actually getting depressed looking at pictures of women there.

I've done a free search there too (just curious), and it depressed me as well. Yikes, I mean yikes :eek:. There were a few cute girls, but you know every guy on there is going to message those few so there's really no point.

DustySaltus

Well, I will also tell you that half the ones that look good look nothing like their pics in person.

I met a girl one time that must've had no idea what the world "athletic" means. It was a slap in the face as she was about 5' 10" 220 pounds.....again I don't care, but don't LIE about it.

Tnerforireyeh

Sadly there aren't really all that many attractive people in the world, period. Even here in California, which is known for its "beauties."

But I have slept with almost two dozen women from online dating sites over the years. No real stunners, but as good as the ones I found in bars. Can't complain.

hersmudders

I think it's just the nature of the beast honestly. When I lived in Atlanta I was on it and my god, the guys were lame. It was either full of thugged out guys I don't go for or guys who dedicated full paragraphs in their about me section to how awesome world of warcraft is. I did meet a few guys off it who actually became some of my best friends and I met people through them, so maybe try to treat it as a networking tool more than anything else. I met my current boyfriend on plentyoffish after I moved towns but the selections weren't really much better. It is a numbers game for sure though. Maybe try to just make friends off it so they can introduce you to their hot friends :)

• Author
Well, I will also tell you that half the ones that look good look nothing like their pics in person.

I met a girl one time that must've had no idea what the world "athletic" means. It was a slap in the face as she was about 5' 10" 220 pounds.....again I don't care, but don't LIE about it.

I've been noticing the same thing. It seems "athletic" in online dating parlance means that she'd have enough momentum to crush you to death if she happened to fall on you :laugh:

DustySaltus
I've been noticing the same thing. It seems "athletic" in online dating parlance means that she'd have enough momentum to crush you to death if she happened to fall on you :laugh:

:laugh:

This is why TWO things are essential:

1) Full body pics

2) As a friend of mine does, have them hold a copy of TODAY'S newspaper in their hand so you know the date is correct.;)

for online that is athletic :lmao:

Tnerforireyeh

All right well I just joined OKCupid due to this thread. I see some attractive chicks. I'll try it out, see if it gets me laid. That's pretty much all I can ask for from an online dating site.

Crazy Magnet

I found interesting guys on OkCupid. I found one super hot guy, and we went on several dates.

I'm pretty cute, and I got TONS of emails!

one generally doesn't see too many "A List" people doing online dating

Tnerforireyeh

nobody on LS.org is "A-list" anyway so I don't think we have to have to worry about it.

nobody on LS.org is "A-list" anyway so I don't think we have to have to worry about it.

I beg to differ, I've seen some avatars of some hotties on here. To each his own I suppose.

Tnerforireyeh
I beg to differ, I've seen some avatars of some hotties on here. To each his own I suppose.

I'm not even going to address the obvious flaws in that logic.

I'm not even going to address the obvious flaws in that logic.

Spit it out man, some of the avatars are not really them, big deal. If you wagered most of the women hear are only slightly attractive or below, and I wagered they were slightly attractive and up, I'm confident I'd win easily :cool:.

And I'm quite confident the women of LS do not appreciate being labeled less than an A.

I changed my "what I want" preferences so I could use the quickmatch app to see and rate women's profiles. I went through at least a hundred just now and I'm honestly a bit depressed for you, OP. There were only a few out of the whole lot who I'd personally deem attractive.

• Author
I changed my "what I want" preferences so I could use the quickmatch app to see and rate women's profiles. I went through at least a hundred just now and I'm honestly a bit depressed for you, OP. There were only a few out of the whole lot who I'd personally deem attractive.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Total bottom of the barrel stuff.