Is wearing glasses a turn off?

SadandConfusedWA

SadandConfusedWA

So at 31, I have discovered that I am somewhat short sighted and need glasses. I got them today and I am completely amazed how beautiful and sharp everything looks. I thought it was normal for the world to be a bit blurry. My prescription is pretty mild at -1, but the difference is huge.

Now I am worried that wearing glasses will turn men off. I think that my frames look pretty cool (Chanel no less) but still.... I remember when I was around 20 I thought that men with glasses are not as sexy. Nowdays, I do not care at all.

The thing is, I can get by without wearing glasses all the time. I am just wondering if this is a big deal to men in late 20's and 30's.

harmfulsweetz

I wear glasses all the time. Have to, my sight is awful without them. I adore my glasses, the frames are sparkly and pretty, I don't care for men who would actually reject me based on something I have to wear. Maybe they aren't as sexy, but you can always get contact lenses for nights out, dates etc. Some people find that better.

I suppose I'm just used to wearing them, I've had them since I was 11, I feel sorta lost without them now lol. :laugh:

I think if the girl is a turn on, with or without glasses, she'll remain a turn on, unless her frames aren't for her (and I've seen a few odd ones!). I wouldn't reject a girl just because she's wearing glasses. Though, I don't know if this is just some stupid observation of mine, but I always see couples where both partners wear glasses. When I think of all my friends (who wear glasses) that are in relationships, their partners also wear glasses too.

I see where your coming from though. A lot of people opt for contacts because they think glasses will be a turn off for the opposite sex. I say, who cares! If you need them, then you need them!

• Author
SadandConfusedWA

Well, for dates and nights out - I can just go without, I don't feel I need contacts at this stage. But I was told that my vision will get worse if I don't wear them much.

I just took a picture of me with glasses and texted it to my dad, and he said that I look "gorgeous". And yeah, I am choosing to beleive my dad :cool:

Simon Attwood

If a man can't see beyond the glasses, to the person you are behind them, then I would consider that a good filter, wouldn't you? :)

I'm almost 28 and don't wear glasses and for me a good looking woman in glasses will still be a good looking woman.

For me, discounting someone just because they wear glasses is very shallow.

I actually find glasses to be pretty hot :cool:

But then again, if you once thought of guys wearing them as unsexy then you shouldn't complain if they think the same about you.

I've had glasses since 2nd grade and am pretty much blind without them. Granted, I wear contacts much of the time but after 20 years of doing so, I have developed an intolerance to lenses and that means I have to wear my glasses more often. About three years ago I got a second pair of glasses and now I choose which pair to wear, based on my mood, outfits, where I'm going, etc.

And for the person who noticed that both people in a relationship tend to need glasses...yep, I've noticed that too. But for some reason two former BF's and my current BF all have perfect vision.

Any guy who would reject you based on you wearing glasses is a tool. The ole "four eyes" insult (and mentality) is something that I hope those of us in our 20's and 30's have long left behind on the playground.

If the glasses match a woman's face and hair, they can be very attractive. I really like how some women look in glasses.

Reminds me of those scenes in movies where someone takes off the girl's glasses and she suddenly becomes "beautiful". How ridiculous.

Jersey Shortie

Glasses on men can be very sexy.

I wear glasses and contacts but I like my glasses very much.

My ex loved me in my glasses ( I didnt have to wear them all the time) But he loved it when I showed up wearing them or he would pop into my office and I would have them on...

Just take time to pick out the right pair.

Norville_Rogers

Keep em. There are more upsides of wearing them (shows maturity, can look sexy, confidence, you can actually see what the guy looks like) than downside (complex of looking like a geek). I don't wear them, but I have never subtracted points for a girl that did.

It's interesting to see the associations we make to glasses, when we say things like "sophisticated" or "intelligent" to describe someone who wears glasses it make me laugh because at the end of the day we are just looking at someone who is going a bit blind. I have been known to make these connections as well. Funny how we think...

I think they are totally hot on guys and I always wanted glasses for some dumb reason, now that I am older I am glad I don't have to wear them but I would totally rock them if I did. As someone else said it can be very fashionable these days so long as you get the right frame.

Someone has to post the opposite. :laugh:

I prefer women without glasses. It is much easier to see the eyes. And for me, it is all about the eyes.

As someone who has glasses and has had them since 2nd grade, I wear contact lenses 14 hours a day. If I am out in public with glasses, it is because my contacts are bothering me. Besides for me, dirty glasses and foggy lenses are nuisances. I prefer contacts for practical reasons, too.

My wife has glasses and has had them for years, but she also wears contact lenses for part of her day. I think she looks much better in contacts versus her glasses.

Whenever I see someone in glasses who takes them off, I think they look better.

I will never forget the day I got contacts. One girl who I worked with saw me and said, "James, you have beautiful blue eyes. I always thought they were brown and didn't realize they were so big." That settled it. :love: Always had a crush on her anyway. :)

I know that is a personal opinion, and maybe it is not even the majority opinion.

As for those movies that the girl takes her glasses off and is then considered beautiful...I usually see how they do look better.

Women wearing glasses are not suddenly unattractive, but when those same women wear contacts, I do think they look better.

I've never had a problem with guys not liking my glasses. I wear contacts (disposable kind) when I go out or play sports, but I never wear them to work. I once asked a guy I was dating if he imagined me with or without glasses gneerally. He said if he was imagining me in clothes he imagined me with glasses, and naked he imagined me without. He actually seemed to like the contrast. Also, fashionable glasses on a professional woman can be sexy!

As for those movies that the girl takes her glasses off and is then considered beautiful...I usually see how they do look better.

Yeah... but they can't see!

I've never had a problem with guys not liking my glasses. I wear contacts (disposable kind) when I go out or play sports, but I never wear them to work. I once asked a guy I was dating if he imagined me with or without glasses gneerally. He said if he was imagining me in clothes he imagined me with glasses, and naked he imagined me without. He actually seemed to like the contrast. Also, fashionable glasses on a professional woman can be sexy!

I'm liking you more and more:p

I agree with your last statement. It makes them look so sophisticated!;)

It's interesting to see the associations we make to glasses, when we say things like "sophisticated" or "intelligent" to describe someone who wears glasses it make me laugh because at the end of the day we are just looking at someone who is going a bit blind. I have been known to make these connections as well. Funny how we think...

I think they are totally hot on guys and I always wanted glasses for some dumb reason, now that I am older I am glad I don't have to wear them but I would totally rock them if I did. As someone else said it can be very fashionable these days so long as you get the right frame.

I think the reason we have those associations is because the people wearing glasses probably went blind reading all the time and doing other important brainiac work.

Been wearing glasses since I was 11 till now and it has been 14 years. I've never got rejected by any men for wearing glasses.

many of them told me that I look so classy, smart, and sexy with my glasses and they like smart women. :cool:

Whatever men I want to get, I can always get. And all the men I've met, no one found my glasses is a turn off

I never wear contact lense because I'm so used to glasses and also I look very good with my glasses.

So stop worrying about that. As long as the frame looks suitable on your face structure, you will be 10 times sexier than without glasses

I'm very much for glasses. I think they can add a lot of character to someone's face, regardless of gender. I definitely think they are hot on men.I've been wearing my since I was 18, when for some reason my eye sight crapped out. I think they add a certain cuteness to me. :bunny: No one has ever had a problem.

I've never cared for contacts. The posters in the Opticians with the worse case scenario put me off really, plus I'd find it hard having to poke them in my eyes every morning. Come to think of it though, I'm the only person I know who only wears glasses. Everyone else tends to alternate between contacts and glasses.

TouchedByViolet

Glasses on a girl are generally a big turn on for me :)

I myself wear glasses somedays and contacts others just depends on how I am feeling and what I feel looks better that day.

• Author
SadandConfusedWA

Well, I do think I look more sophisticated and classy with them. I know I have the right frame, I had 5 girls go shopping with me and tried on around 30 different frames so they gave their opinions on each. Usually I completely agreed with them. The we narrowed the frames down to top 3. Girls told me chose the "winner" myself as they thought any of the top 3 would look good. I ended up choosing clear lenses and sparkly pink sides.

As for the movies when the girl takes off glasses and is suddenly looks hot, glasses that she had on are usually really big and ugly. It's not like she had stylish frames to begin with.