Anyone currently hanging out with a guy with Asperger's?

sfveggie

I am in a strange (non-sexual) relationship with a guy with Asperger's. Not sure what we are. I guess we are very affectionate buddies. We see each other once a week or so. Sometimes he is very physically affectionate and kinda sorta romantic with me (hugs, hand holding, hair stroking, back rubs). Other times, he's completely detached, won't even touch me, and acts like a 6 year old. He often tells me he loves me and wants to be with me in the future. He even has told me that he never says "I love you" enough. Then a few days later, he says he wants to be alone or tells me has fantasies about being with men. He's a yo-yo and I'm feeling like I want to jump off. He cycles from "forever" to "never" and shades in between from week to week to week. I know feel like I can be his pal but I can't take -anything- he says seriously. Would love to hear from others.

I've never dated one, but I've treated a few. Part of the disorder is the inability to be socially appropriate, and that does not diminish over time. What you see is what you're going to get with this one.

• Author

Thanks. Right- so the yo-yo inconsistency and mixed messages will never improve?

Oh, I made typos and tried to edit my first post but you had already replied...here's my edit.

I am in a strange (non-sexual) relationship with a friend with Asperger's. Not sure what we are- something like affectionate buddies. We see each other once a week or so. Sometimes he is very physically affectionate (hugs, hand holding, hair stroking, back rubs). Other times, he's completely detached, won't even touch me, and acts like a 6 year old. He often tells me he loves me and wants to be with me in the future (unlikely for many reasons including a large age gap). He even has told me that he never says "I love you" enough. Then a few days later, he says he wants to be alone for the rest of his life or tells me has fantasies about being with men. He's a yo-yo and I'm feeling like I want to jump off. He cycles from "forever" to "never" and shades in between from week to week to week. All the physical affection is really confusing to me. He vaccillates from being very clear about what he wants to being so confused.

I still feel like I can be his platonic pal but I can't take -anything- he says seriously. I have begged him to refrain from saying things he doesn't consistently mean but my words fall on deaf ears.

Would love to hear from others.

Edited by sfveggie