"There is a direct correlation between...

sunshinegirl

sunshinegirl

"There is a direct correlation between the level of happiness in one's life and the amount of silliness they allow into it."

Agree? Disagree?

(I posted this in the Dating section because my boyfriend and I are EXTREMELY silly with each other...and I've never been happier.) :love:

I definitely agree that people who are very silly are oftentimes happier - largely becaus they know how to have fun.

Of course, there are a lot of drivers behind happiness, and people can lack the silliness factor all together and still be very, very happy. For some people, silliness is actually a turn off (i.e. inversely correlated to happiness)...to each their own.

• Author
sunshinegirl

Fair enough - "silliness", per se, may not be everyone's cup of tea.

But some version of letting loose, letting down one's guard to let in the fun, and experiencing a good belly laugh on a regular basis...those all seem to be very good for enhancing one's happiness level. :)

Fair enough - "silliness", per se, may not be everyone's cup of tea.

But some version of letting loose, letting down one's guard to let in the fun, and experiencing a good belly laugh on a regular basis...those all seem to be very good for enhancing one's happiness level. :)

Silliness? How about dorkiness? lol

Its good to find humor when and wherever you can.

• Author
sunshinegirl
You two are adorable! :love:

Awww, thanks - we are adorable! (ha ha)

It hasn't quite been 3 months of dating yet, but we've met each other's families and all the friends on both sides have given a thumbs up. I have a good feeling about this one. :love:

That's awesome, SSG! I remember reading your threads about your ex, and it's wonderful to see you've found somebody who makes you feel completely happy. I'm so thrilled for you. :love:

But tell us more! What's he like? I want details! Is he a lot more emotionally expressive/available than your ex was?

Edited by shadowplay
  • Author
sunshinegirl

Thanks, Shadow. :)

It's a pretty good story...the short version is that we were set up by mutual friends but I wasn't interested at first. It took three months for me to agree to go on a bona fide date with him. The poor guy had continued to - respectfully - pursue me even when I was "eh" about him. His efforts paid off in October when I finally pulled my head out of my butt to realize how much fun I always had with him, and to realize that he possesses the kind of character traits and values I'm looking for. Since then it's been nothing but great - he's the guy I didn't think existed. :love:

So: what's he like. He's funny as hell. Very sharp and witty humor, but kind-hearted. He's compassionate and enjoys helping people - I noticed these traits right away. He is a fundraiser for a senior supportive housing network and he spends a lot of time with elderly people, whom he respects and enjoys interacting with. Small children also love him - he is close with his nephews the way I am close with my nephews & nieces. He played NO games with me (I joke that he actually has no game because he is so heart-on-his-sleeve); one of the great things about that is that I am never left wondering what he thinks or feels. He's gregarious, outgoing, and can talk to anyone. We got stuck at O'Hare flying back from my parents' place last week and when we were waiting in line for customer service, he bought a bag of Reese's Pieces to share with the people around us. He's generous, in and out of bed. He can't do quickies - the other night (when I suggested a quickie because we both desperately needed the sleep) he still insisted on taking care of me before himself. He's thoughtful - when I go away for a trip, he tucks a card into my suitcase. We joke about the day that the honeymoon period ends and we both stop doing all the nice gestures and start farting in front of each other. (He has promised that, if nothing else, he will still open my car door for me.) And, oh yeah, we are incredibly silly with each other, and we spend a lot of time laughing, while the roots of our relationship grow deeper day by day.

I could go on and on... I feel like there are a lot of things he does really well that some of the guys on here who are struggling in the dating realm could learn from ... because they are all things that have certainly increased my attraction for him even though he's not a 10% body fat percentage Adonis-type head-turner. But he's mine. :love:

"There is a direct correlation between the level of happiness in one's life and the amount of silliness they allow into it."

Agree? Disagree?

(I posted this in the Dating section because my boyfriend and I are EXTREMELY silly with each other...and I've never been happier.) :love:

Agreed :).

Silly == anything can happen, let's not overthing and have fun

Uptight == afraid to live :sick:

Of course, people need to consistently meet their responsibilities, but that's still no reason to be uptight. My poster boy for uptightness is the stereotypical suburban family that lives in a luxury unimaginable to the rest of the world, yet still are unhappy and obsess with every little bill or logistical detail of their life, and end every day telling each other how exausted they are, so there's no time or money to do anything fun/silly :rolleyes:.

He sounds wonderful, SSG! Do you find that despite the fact he wasn't originally your type, your physical attraction has grown for him because of the emotional connection?

• Author
sunshinegirl
He sounds wonderful, SSG! Do you find that despite the fact he wasn't originally your type, your physical attraction has grown for him because of the emotional connection?

Absolutely.

It's been a good life lesson for me - 8 or 12 months ago I would have said that if there was NO physical spark at the outset, there never would be. After all, it had always been true for me previously. I guess I just had to meet the right guy and be willing to give him a chance. :)

SSG, have you ever noticed Art_Critic's signature? It's true. :)

~~ One day someone will walk into your life and make you see why it never worked out with anyone else.. ~~