Hopeless romantics

fral945

I've been dating for a while now, and I find there to be a lot of women who classify themselves as "hopeless romantics". They seem to believe in destiny and finding "the one". My current GF regularly talks about things "that are meant to be" and when certain things happen she will say "maybe it's a sign". There may be women that don't fit into this category; I just have yet to date one. :laugh:

I wonder sometimes if I should even bother dating women like this, because I'm not and never will be a "hopeless romantic". I don't believe there is one person for me, I don't believe I'm "destined" to be with one person.

I have 2 questions:

1) Have you ever been involved in a relationship like this (where one person is a hopeless romantic and the other is not)? If so, I would love to hear your explanation of how the relationship went.

2) Do you feel two people can have a successful, long term relationship if one is a hopeless romantic and the other is not?

The better question is to ask "Am I hope One?"

If they cannot answer or say no.. then you are wasting your time. By admiting that you are not "the one" that means they will always be on the lookout for "the one" and should they come along..

I've been dating for a while now, and I find there to be a lot of women who classify themselves as "hopeless romantics".

One thing you have to understand about women is that there is a world of difference between what they say and what they do. When a woman describes herself as "traditional", "old fashioned" or "conservative", it usually means that she's a slut. If she describes herself as a "easygoing and fun", it likely means that she is moody and emotionally unstable. As for women who describe themselves as hopeless romantics, from my experience, they are usually gold diggers.

harmfulsweetz

I don't know. I'm sort of a hopeless romantic (Not gold digger, Johnny M if I was, I've been with the wrong blokes lol) I do believe not in destiny, so much as, what will be will be. I believe that if something is meant to happen, it will, if it doesn't, then it wasn't meant to be. I suppose that's destiny, I'm not saying that two people are predestined to fall in love, just that the circumstances and the character of the individuals allow at that time for love to happen. I'm idealistic. Perhaps because I believe being too logical and realistic is slightly boring, and where's the romance? (Been reading too many romance novels...:o)

Do I think it can be successful? Depends how much weight each of you place on that characteristic alone. If you constantly think about that, you may neglect thinking about your other compatabilities.

Ruby Slippers

^ :lmao:

I think just about all women want to be hopeless romantics. Time and men wear us down, though, and some of us turn into either cynics or realists.

But some of us will always be romantics, striving for our ideals. If we are mature, we will finally acknowledge that we might never reach all our ideals, but we will continue to do our best.

I think that as long as you are not a completely bitter cynic, you can do fine with a dreamer.

I, a dreamer myself, have had bad luck with the hardened cynic types. I mean, crash and burn bad. :p

confusedmuch

Personally, I used to be a hopeless romantic until I met someone that ruined that ideal image for me. We would go to "romantic" places like cider mills out in the country but he was always so lovey dovey in the creepiest of ways. But, I have also dated guys that did romantic things that just made me melt. So I think what matters is the two people have to be on similar levels in that regard.

1. I've never been involved with a hopeless romantic but most of the men I've been involved with, were/are more romantic than I am, paticularly my husband.

2. If the two of you can respect and appreciate each other's differences, than yes, it can work. If one or both of you see it as a major character flaw in each other or find yourselves working too hard to make the relationship work due to a lack of respect for differences, I'm not sure it will ever become a healthy relationship.

Hopeless romantic is just a trait. What difference does it make?

Your partner can be a hopeless romanic, a pessimist, a narcissist or an optimist. It doesn't really make a difference as long as you two are compatible.

Yes, I have been in a relationship with a hopeless romantic. Again, his hopeless romance didn't really have any effect at all, only that he was romantic. Ultimately we broke up, but that was because he was a manipulative, controlling and jealous psycho. lol...

Hopeless romantic is just a trait. What difference does it make?
Language and currency of love, are very important.

What is that really-"hopeless romantics"....I just want to fall in love really, really hard and hope it will last forever....does that make me one?

Ruby Slippers
What is that really-"hopeless romantics"....I just want to fall in love really, really hard and hope it will last forever....does that make me one?

Yes. :)

A better name for us is "hopeful romantics". It is hope that we embody, not hopelessness.