Seems like everyone's getting engaged/married these days...

conehead

I'm 26, so I suppose I'm at that age bracket where ALOT of people I know are getting engaged/married. I know at least 3 couples who just got engaged within the last 2 months. My sister is getting married next year and I'm her MOH. I'm happy for everyone, but can't help feeling more lonely/sad at the same time for myself. I've had 2 serious bfs, but neither lasted more than a year.

I'm not sure what the point of this post is....perhaps spending thanksgiving without a SO and seeing that I will also spend xmas/new year's alone kind of saddens me. I dreamt of my ex yesterday and I think it was brought on by this realization. That I will be alone while everyone around me is engaged and happy.

That being said, I should be grateful for what I have. I have a great family and career...but what I don't have -- friends/SO -- still sucks.

I'm 26, so I suppose I'm at that age bracket where ALOT of people I know are getting engaged/married. I know at least 3 couples who just got engaged within the last 2 months. My sister is getting married next year and I'm her MOH. I'm happy for everyone, but can't help feeling more lonely/sad at the same time for myself. I've had 2 serious bfs, but neither lasted more than a year.

I'm not sure what the point of this post is....perhaps spending thanksgiving without a SO and seeing that I will also spend xmas/new year's alone kind of saddens me. I dreamt of my ex yesterday and I think it was brought on by this realization. That I will be alone while everyone around me is engaged and happy.

That being said, I should be grateful for what I have. I have a great family and career...but what I don't have -- friends/SO -- still sucks.

Wow, I think I made a post very similar to this before :confused:

I know what you are saying. It does seem like everyone is getting married or is engaged. I honestly think its true. Its great if they have found the one, but I really think some people are just doing because their friend is , or their sister etc.

The more I hear about marriages not working out, and relationships failing, it makes me question whether I even want to get married.

Boundary Problem

I wouldn't worry about what everyone else is doing.

Just look after those close and special to you, and the rest will all come out in the wash

The grass is always greener on the other side, so there are 2 sides to a story, majority of those engaged/married people gonna get divorced, many of them after marriage will think of those days when they were single and think how great it was. My point is enjoy your time now as a single person without the commitments.

Aww you should be spending Thanksgiving with your family!

I agree with the "grass is always greener" statements.

When I was in those scenarios, I'd busy up myself so I'm not sitting there depressed, but I'd also take notice of how much it's not all roses and mistletoe for everyone.

Imagine how many couples will fight this holiday season for one thing or another...be it money, someone getting trashed at a holiday affair, someone not wanting to go to the holiday affair, etc. Even toss on there the stress and anguish around Valentine's Day.

I also agree that half of those who got engaged/married will end up divorced...or regretting at one point and envying those who are single and/or childless.

Now...I'm not making a case against marriage, but more saying you shouldn't have your sense of self-worth even remotely come into play with if you're dating or not.

Just live your life, see both sides of the scenarios, and wait for the ideal guy. Plus try to be realistic and normal in your search. Stay open and sociable. If you want marriage, then you need to be open to eligible men to find you...not sit in an ivory tower and expect the alpha prince to climb up to get you.