Using a gift card on a first date??

BWLoca

• Author

We haven't even gone out, yet. This is how he chose to ask me out: "hey, I have a gift card to (restaurant) if you want to go out..." :laugh:

We haven't even gone out, yet. This is how he chose to ask me out: "hey, I have a gift card to (restaurant) if you want to go out..." :laugh:

lol

Im kind of torn on this one. On one hand, it couldve been an excuse to go out, maybe there was less pressure because he was going there anyway kind of thing. But on the other, it just sounds sooo cheap lol Especially on a first date, i mean come on!

That's just awful. You wait until you're in an established relationship to even consider doing that. Which restaurant is it by the way?

That's an all right place to eat and all, but I wouldn't take a girl on a first date there. If I'm taking her to a chain, I'll opt for something more upscale. Otherwise I'll take her to some restaurant that isn't a major chain.

She really likes the guy if she doesnt mind him taking her there. Im sure the gift card wontcover the whole meal anyway. If she doesnt mind, go have a steak and a bloomin onion.

This just seems kind of cheap to me...thoughts?

I don't see the difference between this, cash, credit card, debit card, or cheque. It's just a method of payment.

If he paid $50 from his gift card then he lost $50. No different from using a $50 bill.

Un-Conventional

How dare he use a gift card, you tell this guy of yours to go get one of his gold bars from the safe and that's the only form of payment you will accept from him to pay for your meal!!!!:rolleyes:

This just seems kind of cheap to me...thoughts?

Females like this make me sick ugh. Who cares how it's payed for? What if he didn't tell you he had a gift card and afterwards he paid for the dinner with it. Would an otherwise fun dinner be ruined because he flashed a gift card?

Superficial female that I wouldn't waste ANY money on, not a gift card or cash. How about he paint the gift card green, would it make you feel better? :lmao:

While I agree that cash is cash no matter if it is a gift card, credit card or cash I also agree that the guy is SUPPOSED to be trying to impress and put his best foot forward and show what kind of guy he really is and asking a girl out with the intent only being that it is becuase of the gift card..

Well that is just cheap..

No way around that one.. cheap...

If he had just asked you out and then just paid with the gift card then at the very least he would've believed himself that it wasn't cheap, but the fact that he mentioned it while asking you makes me believe that he also thinks it is saving money and cheap.

I mean.. how many women get asked out with " Hey.. I have my credit card and still have a credit left.. wanna go out?"..

None..

While I agree that cash is cash no matter if it is a gift card, credit card or cash I also agree that the guy is SUPPOSED to be trying to impress and put his best foot forward and show what kind of guy he really is and asking a girl out with the intent only being that it is becuase of the gift card..

Well that is just cheap..

No way around that one.. cheap...

If he had just asked you out and then just paid with the gift card then at the very least he would've believed himself that it wasn't cheap, but the fact that he mentioned it while asking you makes me believe that he also thinks it is saving money and cheap.

I mean.. how many women get asked out with " Hey.. I have my credit card and still have a credit left.. wanna go out?"..

None..

You go on living in your fantasy world. Out here in the real world saving money is a smart thing to do these days, and you should be thankful you are getting ANY food at all. The American Ego Bubble is soon gonna pop, I'm only warnin' ya!

Sweetcheripie

How old is he? Does he have a job? If he is a teenager I think teenage girls would find it cute.

If he is not a teenager, well, he sounds like one.

I have clients that I took out to lunch the other day. It is an older couple and they don't have to worry about money. They ordered one meal and split it. I realized at the end of the meal they picked the place, ordered small becasue they wanted to use their gift card. I paid for the meal -never even entered my mind that they would pay for it. But it was adorable. And I'm sure it is because of this mentality that they are financially set today.

You go on living in your fantasy world. Out here in the real world saving money is a smart thing to do these days, and you should be thankful you are getting ANY food at all. The American Ego Bubble is soon gonna pop, I'm only warnin' ya!

dude.. I'm 46.. I'm living in my fantasy world and have been for many years...

It isn't about saving money.. I save money and so does my wife..

but I can tell you that if I had pulled out the gift card before my first date with my wife I wouldn't have gotten to the second date..

That Son.. is real world..

How old is he? Does he have a job? If he is a teenager I think teenage girls would find it cute.

If he is not a teenager, well, he sounds like one.

I have clients that I took out to lunch the other day. It is an older couple and they don't have to worry about money. They ordered one meal and split it. I realized at the end of the meal they picked the place, ordered small becasue they wanted to use their gift card. I paid for the meal -never even entered my mind that they would pay for it. But it was adorable. And I'm sure it is because of this mentality that they are financially set today.

So true. And yes, so adorable :)

Financial responsibility is SEXY. However, I would be a little turned off if I was told prior to the first date that we were going out because he had a gift card. I'd rather be taken to Taco Bell (YUM!) for the first date and then do something fun and cheap or free if he couldn't afford an expensive dinner. Or a picnic or something. There are lots of cheap/free first date ideas, so there's really no excuse for using the gift card for the first date.

HAHAHA! I did that to woman who was playing games with me.

She blew me off then came running back when I ignored her.

She actually wouldn't leave me alone.

If I told her I wasn't interested she called more.

If I ignored her calls she blew up my VM.

I told her I had a gift certificate for applebee's so i'll take her there.

During dinner I asked her if she swallowed, like anal, what her favorite postion was ect.

Afterword I asked her back to my place for sex.

She politely declined & strangely I never heard from her again.:lmao:

torranceshipman

Why is this a problem? Poorguy...he has the balls to step up and show interest, is nice enough to think of a decent excuse to take you out, involving dinner, & you get all pissy because it's a giftcard he's using? He probably justused that line as an excuse to approach you anyway.

Females like this make me sick ugh. Who cares how it's payed for? What if he didn't tell you he had a gift card and afterwards he paid for the dinner with it. Would an otherwise fun dinner be ruined because he flashed a gift card?

Superficial female that I wouldn't waste ANY money on, not a gift card or cash. How about he paint the gift card green, would it make you feel better? :lmao:

The reason it sounds cheap to me is because it sounds like he got the card as a gift from someone (work, a birthday gift, etc.) and so in that context it seems cheap.

Outback is not a first date type of place for me. I like it to be a little more laid back then the waiter checking up on me 20 times on a busy Friday night to try and get us out of there for the next guests.

I'm sure the gift card at Outback probably looks like a giant willy wonka golden ticket or something, so it was probably hard to disguise :)

To me it's all about the company and the ambiance. An initial connection should be made during the meal and if you do like this person you'll be too busy looking at them to realize what method of payment they are using.

When I didn't have a car girls picked me up in bus stops ans train stations. Soon afterwards I was picking them up in my Infiniti.....material things don't matter, it's a ll about how the person treats you. Now, if you go out on a second date and he does the same thing, be careful lol....but I think that's a longshot here.

The real issue with the gift card, in my opinion, is that it shows a lack of creativity. It tells the girl, "Hey, I'm indecisive about where to take you for dinner, but since I have this gift card, we'll eat there."

laRubiaBonita

he would have lost me out Outback.... i have only gone there with my sister only cause we get cheap beers somenights.

and who says this was a "date" maybe he just doesn't want to eat there alone- or maybe he doesn't want to invest 'real money' on you just yet.

kinda smart if you ask me- test date= gift card... real date= personal money