Professor-Student dating at universities....

Tony T

We've had several posts in recent weeks from both students and university professors regarding aspects of their dating each other. I saw an article on the subject at msnbc.com and thought I'd leave a link here-----> http://www.msnbc.com/news/903605.asp?0cv=CB20

I was shocked to learn that not all universities have a set policy which forbids such relationships. It boggles my mind that mature university professors would not see the conflict in dating students under their supervision. It is also very unsettling that the professors would take advantage of those younger women smitten with them, their position and their place within a university.

I hardly think a written policy would do much good if two people want to get together and keep their mouth shut about it. But I personally don't trust most people to keep quiet about such matters...and if I were a university professor I would probably be forced to give an undeserved "A" to a female for a course as "hush money."

HokeyReligions
It boggles my mind that mature university professors would not see the conflict in dating students under their supervision. It is also very unsettling that the professors would take advantage of those younger women smitten with them, their position and their place within a university.

Can you say "Horny Old Men" how about "Mid-Life Crisis" :):)

Perhaps, after spending a day thinking and teaching, and reasoning out solutions to problems, these professors choose to spend their evenings thinking with their other heads and having their, a-hem, egos stroked.

:bunny:

First of all, i don't think such a relationship is impossible - especially if the student isn't taking any courses from the professor at the time.

Second of all, many young girls go out with older men for various reasons. How's a university professor diff-t from a business-man?

So, I think it should be forbidden while the student is in the prof's class or under his supervision, but outside of that - why not?

I'm a student, and some profs are very young - just finished their phd's - so late 20s or so - and I don't think the fact that they're professors would stop me from dating one of them, if i were interested.

-yes