Bait and switch from an online dating site...any recourse?

I just joined a seemingly large online dating site after creating a profile and doing a search for members within a 50 mile radius.

Supposedly there were thousands of members within the 50 mile radius but I noticed that the "last time logged in" information was only for paying members.

I figured even though a lot of these profiles can be old members that I had a lot to choose from and there was sure to be a lot of active members to choose from...well my mistake...

After signing up and doing the search again, this time with "last logged in" info. ALL of the profiles staged "logged in within one month" or "logged in over 1 month ago" (I'm assuming the maximum so this can mean any time period). So out of the over 1000 profiles available in my area, there were absolutely no active members with the closes being at least 1 month old. The classic bait and switch.

Do I have any legal recourse for a refund or am I just screwed?

SoulSearch_CO

Gotta read the fine print when you get on a site like that. They would have mentioned how to go about a refund (if even possible). If I were you, I'd try calling customer service and being REALLY NICE and explaining what happened and ask if they would give a refund. Sometimes if you kiss ass, they'll help you out.

I usually check an online business with the BBB before giving them any of my info. How is this company's rating? If you can't get a refund from customer service, try making a complaint through the BBB. After that - not sure. You'd have to read through the terms and conditions that you agreed to when you signed up.

Gotta read the fine print when you get on a site like that. They would have mentioned how to go about a refund (if even possible). If I were you, I'd try calling customer service and being REALLY NICE and explaining what happened and ask if they would give a refund. Sometimes if you kiss ass, they'll help you out.

I usually check an online business with the BBB before giving them any of my info. How is this company's rating? If you can't get a refund from customer service, try making a complaint through the BBB. After that - not sure. You'd have to read through the terms and conditions that you agreed to when you signed up.

Great Answer Soul Search. I tend to print out whatever I order online and if it were a dating site I would print the rules if any...

hoping2heal

Yes, to expound upon what soulsearch said, make sure anywhere you pay gets a pass from the BBB. It does sound suspicious.