Reading 'shy' girls?

Hi, Im Mikey and new here. Im a shy guy who's finally having the courage to finally break out of my god-damned shell.

here's my story:

I have known this girl from work, and last week she asked if she could join me for lunch at the park. "It would be a pleasure," I said. She smiled. Great!

The date went well, I teased her a lot, and she took them well. She asked open-ended questions, and I got on well as well. It fantastic. She finds me funny, and gave me an ultimate compliment - " I really admire you." I am not sure if her reason was platonic or not, but she definitely made my week :thumbsup:

Forward to today. I told her how much I enjoyed the conversation, and she was a bit non-chalant about it :confused: She did bring up details of the conversation, but I am getting mixed messages; I dont know WTF is she thinking!

anyway, shy girl is a foreigner from europe and notice two peculiar habits about her:

• She does not maintain eye contact when we ae talking. I am assuming that she is busy doing the translation in her head, or she can't stand the sight of me;
  • She is quite averse to touching me (though she is a salsa dancer). eg. I graze her hand and held contact for a while, until she pulled back. She tends to accidently kick my foot occasionally though.

Is she just being friendly or does she have interest in me? Is she seeking more cues from me with regards to how I feel about her before whe warms up further?

I am going laptop hunting with her later this week. I will tell her how i feel about her, yet I am preparing to suffer the temporary pain of rejection over regret.

Cheers LS!

SoulSearch_CO
I will tell her how i feel about her, yet I am preparing to suffer the temporary pain of rejection over regret.

Oh, my. No, no, no, no, no. You guys haven't even been on ONE DATE and you're prepared to profess your feelings? Don't do it, man. Holy cow. There is not a whole lot to go on, here, to tell whether or not she's interested. How about asking her on a DATE? Then you'd have a better idea how she feels. Rather than professing FEELINGS (way too early), how about asking her out to dinner or something?

The eye contact thing - that can be a cultural thing. I'm not sure. What nationality is she and maybe people here can give a better opinion that might know that culture? The touch could also be a cultural thing. Romantic touch could be much different (and more strictly controlled) than dancing touch.

^Agree. Wow, just do not confess your feelings when you're just starting to get to know her. Big no-no.

As for the eye contact thing - I recently dated a girl that could not keep eye contact with me when she was nervous, which was quite often early when we were dating. Like she had no problems kissing, hugging, etc., but when she was all anxious and nervous she could not look me in the eye (she does have anxiety issues). This was true even when we met up about a month ago - it took her about 30 minutes to calm down before she could maintain eye contact.

It could also have to do with her culture. My advice is to ASK HER ON A DATE so you can get to know her better.

• Author

Yeah, I'll restrain myself. BTW, she's French.

Thing is, we have known each other for the past 2 months as we share the same office. I am probably the only person at the office (of 15) that she gets along with. I have dropped the occasional flirts, and I'm quite sure she can sense that I fancy her.

I will ask her out on a date anyway. Then I might know if I am just a friend to her. Thanks!

Mikey

PS I'm playing with fire, methinks. She is leaving in 2 months and its wouldnt be fair for either of us.