Dating and unemployment

knaveman

It's getting on to the time when I usually get my one date for the year. Sometimes it turns into two dates, but generally only the one. This year I happen to be unemployed. When do I bring up the unemployment to a date? Do I bring it up at all?

The economy sucks right now, so I'm sure people will understand. I wouldnt go out of your way to mention it on a first date, unless they ask where you work - then you kind of have to.

I would mention it in conversation, but try not to make it seem like being unemployed is part of who you are.

If your pretty sure its going to be just the one date. Lie. Serve strong drinks and get laid.

OR if you have morals:

Tell her you are considering other options. Tell her you figure since you are young , bright , and ambitious...the time is NOW.

It sounds so...promising doesnt it?

paddington bear

Reframe it positively "I'm looking for work right now" rather than "I'm unemployed and have no job".

For me, as a woman, it's not the unemployment that would ever be a problem, it's if that unemployment is combined with a lack of ambition to not be unemployed. I wouldn't worry about it, as BBCA said, you're not the only one in the same position. It could be a topic of conversation, no doubt your one date per year allowance for this year (:)) will have friends and relatives who've also lost their jobs, or have had paycuts and will be sympathetic, if she's not, try and squeeze in a second date for 2009 who has some heart.

Reframe it positively "I'm looking for work right now" rather than "I'm unemployed and have no job".

For me, as a woman, it's not the unemployment that would ever be a problem, it's if that unemployment is combined with a lack of ambition to not be unemployed. I wouldn't worry about it, as BBCA said, you're not the only one in the same position. It could be a topic of conversation, no doubt your one date per year allowance for this year (:)) will have friends and relatives who've also lost their jobs, or have had paycuts and will be sympathetic, if she's not, try and squeeze in a second date for 2009 who has some heart.

Exactly. "Im looking for word/between jobs" is a fact of life, which any of us could find ourselves dealing with these days. "I'm unemployed and depressed" becomes who you ARE. There is a big difference there.

• Author

So what everyone is say is that "Unemployed Bum" shouldn't be the title of my online dating profile.:p:laugh:

Thanks for all the input, if and when my yearly date happens I'll keep all this in mind.:)

Keep it mysterious. Say your a secret operative agent and that is all you really can get into about work. See her facial response and proceed from there. She'd get a kick out of it. Well, anyone with a sense of humor would. Then say, nah, not that secret. I am between jobs and finalizing on a decision on which way to proceed.

• Author
Keep it mysterious. Say your a secret operative agent and that is all you really can get into about work. See her facial response and proceed from there. She'd get a kick out of it. Well, anyone with a sense of humor would. Then say, nah, not that secret. I am between jobs and finalizing on a decision on which way to proceed.

It never occured to me to have fun with it.:) I should really date more.