Pet Name from Coworker

mstevens999

mstevens999

I have a coworker who has already given me the nickname of Boo Bear. I do plan on asking her out, but so far we had only hung out at happy hours and it hasn't gone any further than flirting. She hasn't called me this to my face, but she uses it in text messages and it is what she has me listed as in her phone. She does tend to go with nicknames for people in her phone from what she has shown me, but none seem to be of this nature.

I don't plan to have this deter me even though it seems way to early to make up a nickname for someone, especially someone who currently is only in the coworker stage.

My question is, how soon do women usually start making up these type names for guys?

SoulSearch_CO

Hrm. I made up my current BF's nickname at about 1 month after being serious. I'd say it was about the same amount of time with my XH. I'm not really one for making up nicknames for people I work with...some people are. So in her case, if she's all about nicknames for everybody, yours might have no real meaning. Who knows. Just ask her out.

I have a coworker who has already given me the nickname of Boo Bear

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I wouldn't like that kind of phony familiarity. She's not even a close acquaintance.

Slightly more formality would not be amiss.

OTOH...I have always given my b/f's pet names, but only after a level of intimacy was developed.

I have a coworker who has already given me the nickname of Boo Bear.

That's .... odd.

I'm not much of a nickname person. But when I do start using a nickname for someone, it's usually after I know them fairly well and that some nickname comes up because of a specific situation or something they did or said, so it generally has a whole background story to it. The way she does it seems totally random. Weird.

• Author
mstevens999

I can understand why she came up with the Bear part since I am about a foot taller and probably twice her weight, but it still did come as a surprise when I saw it in a text.

I had been friendly, borderline flirting, and was BSing with her at work for a few months but didn't really start to think of being anything more than friends until a couple weeks ago which is weird for me cause she is a beautiful girl. I have only had her number for a little over a week and am horrible on picking up any signals, so I am hoping she just thought things were further than I did when she put in my number.

It still does seem a bit early to do that, but I am hoping that it just means she diggs me instead of that she just made up a name for the sake of making one up.

missdependant

you don't have to answer this, but what is your real name?

does the nickname coincide with your real name at all?? My first name starts with a D.. most of my co-workers call me D-Dawg. But that's more of a joke, so i don't really know.

CommitmentPhobe

Well the only way you're going to find out is by asking her out

Unfortunately if you're wrong you still have to work with her

Good luck, Boo Bear, I hope you don't become Fu Bar

• Author
mstevens999
you don't have to answer this, but what is your real name?

does the nickname coincide with your real name at all?? My first name starts with a D.. most of my co-workers call me D-Dawg. But that's more of a joke, so i don't really know.

My name is Mike, so there is no real connection there so she just made it up on her own.

I did get to talk to her a bit at work today, but didn't ask her out yet. I think I will need to do that out side of the office. If I am just completely misreading everything and she says no, I would rather not have to stay and do work on top of the disappointment.

I would rather not have to stay and do work on top of the disappointment.

Whats worse is : you start a relationship and then you breakup. You see her everyday, and it makes it so hard to heal.

I don't recommend office romances.

Been there done that.

CandyGirlXO
Whats worse is : you start a relationship and then you breakup. You see her everyday, and it makes it so hard to heal.

I don't recommend office romances.

Been there done that.

I am currently in one.... all I can say is frustrating!

CandyGirlXO
Boo Bear? Is she 5? :rolleyes:

Thats kind of interesting for me, because my EXEX called me Boo, and my EX called me Bear

LOL

Would also like to add that my BF now (co-worker) gave me my nickname while we were just co-workers, but its not mushy like Boo Bear, how the hell did she come up with that one?

Citizen Erased
Thats kind of interesting for me, because my EXEX called me Boo, and my EX called me Bear

LOL

Did they call you it before you were in a relationship? It's revoltingly sickening for a relationship, but that's sort of fun when you're a part of it. But with just a co-worker? It's kind of creepy and immature.

CandyGirlXO
Did they call you it before you were in a relationship? It's revoltingly sickening for a relationship, but that's sort of fun when you're a part of it. But with just a co-worker? It's kind of creepy and immature.

No I got the nicknames Boo and Bear once the relationship had started.

My BF now, co-worker as well, did however give me my nickname while we were just co-workers. But its not mushy at all.... its a name he could call me anywhere and no one would think anything of it. I rather not say what that is.

Citizen Erased
No I got the nicknames Boo and Bear once the relationship had started.

My BF now, co-worker as well, did however give me my nickname while we were just co-workers. But its not mushy at all.... its a name he could call me anywhere and no one would think anything of it. I rather not say what that is.

And that's normal, it's what couples do.

Of course don't share, it's not expected of you. :) I myself call co-workers by nicknames, but they tend to be that which others also use. If it's something that can be said in front of others without them so much as blinking when they hear it, of course there's not a problem. Boo Bear is really unprofessional.

• Author
mstevens999
Boo Bear? Is she 5? :rolleyes:

We are both in our mid 20s. If I didnt have any interest in her, then I would probably have an issue with it. But since I do like her, I dont really mind as long as she doesnt call me that at the office. My only real concern was that is seemed unusual since I had yet to even ask her on a date, only invited her out to stuff like lunch or happy hours with other coworkers.

You really have to be careful in an office environment.

Alot of people want to be treated in a business-like manner...and there's nothing wrong with that.

A while back a lady named Anna joined our team. Shortly later a co-worker started calling "Anna banana".

I'm quessing it's just cuz it rhymed...it's not like she resembles a banana or anything.

Then a couple of more co-workers started to chime in.

One day she stood up and proclaimed "Look, I hate that name, stop calling me that".

No one had an inkling that she was so offended.

missdependant

Just be careful, ANYTHING can be misinterpreted as sexual harassment these days. ;)

I have a coworker who has already given me the nickname of Boo Bear. I do plan on asking her out, but so far we had only hung out at happy hours and it hasn't gone any further than flirting. She hasn't called me this to my face, but she uses it in text messages and it is what she has me listed as in her phone. She does tend to go with nicknames for people in her phone from what she has shown me, but none seem to be of this nature.

I don't plan to have this deter me even though it seems way to early to make up a nickname for someone, especially someone who currently is only in the coworker stage.

My question is, how soon do women usually start making up these type names for guys?

I make up nick names for everyone- ranging from friends to guys I sleep with. I wouldn't read into this too much!