Does Karma actually really happen??

ruggy

Just curious, I read all the time what goes around comes around and Karma will even things up. Does this ever really happen? I have always said this to myself when someone has done me wrong in life or business or whatever. Yet I never actually see this come to pass.

Just curious in general. As I would like to the the universe has a way of correcting the wrongs in life in some shape or form.

Well, I can only tell you that yes, it is my experience that karma does really happen - but what I can also tell you is that when it does, it's unlikely you will hear about it or see it. It doesn't happen simply to assuage your feelings or need for retribution at feeling hurt. Whenever I have experienced it, I only heard about it many months or years afterwards and usually inadvertently and not from the person concerned. I don't think karma is about us as people, it's about balance in the world. If you do your bit to upset the balance by hurting someone wantonly, then you're likely to experience the actions of someone else doing the same to you. Just my experience I guess and it only happened two times. It definitely doesn't depend on the wish factor.

• Author

Not such a wish but to feel the way I do. That is all. Obviously about someone else who has treated her similarly and then killed it for no apparent reason. I guess an equalizer in closure of some kind.

Once in a while it happens. You see the karma unfold. The guy that cut you off in traffic is now pulled over with a cop behind him.

If only there was a crystal ball that would show how karma has unravelled, in both your own life and others. Maybe the world would be a more civilized place.

• Author
Once in a while it happens. You see the karma unfold. The guy that cut you off in traffic is now pulled over with a cop behind him.

If only there was a crystal ball that would show how karma has unravelled, in both your own life and others. Maybe the world would be a more civilized place.

Amen brother. Like a karma button. LOL

Karma certainly does work, but like someone here said, it's not about retribution and fixing your feelings, it's an objective action that takes place in order to restore upset balance, and help the perpetrator (:lmao:) realize that the course of their actions was bad, and eventually help them grow.

It's not a punitive system. It's about cause and effect.

That would have been me.

As a Buddhist, I have made an extensive study of Karma, as you might imagine. It is one of the basic premisies of Buddhism.

This is not to say that I'm a world expert. Far from it, but because people hear the word bandied around, they think it's some kind of revenge action.

It's not.

It is a greatly misunderstood process. Maybe this thread will help.

You know, GW I don't visit often now but it always has surprised me how often I seem to think the same viewpoint as yourself. I just clicked that link and saw the thread explaining it. I have tried to understand karma more deeply at times when I've felt troubled because I've often come to the conclusion that the common denominator in many of my trying times, is me. Your thread there made some perfect sense and it brought illumination of another kind. Recently myself and my ex from a couple of years ago reconciled. At the time we originally split (I dumped him) I felt we weren't on the same page and he was ready to rush into marriage and I wasn't. I felt like I was taking his time, stealing his life... so I quit. Recently, he explained something to me about what he loves about me and why he came back. He explained my thinking and viewpoint and why he loves how I see things. It occurred to me that over the years, I'd realligned my thinking and trained my mind... maybe almost without thinking consciously (probably the alone time helped) so that he says now I'm kinda the same person, with different thoughts. I didn't understand it. But just reading your thread there kind brought some sense because I often find myself having the same (good) reactions to things now. For example my BF sent me an angry text about how his day was busy and how he was annoyed for things going wrong - I replied that it was okay to be busy and annoyed, but that he was helping people (he's a dentist) and making them better, relieving pain... and at least he has a job... whereas a couple of years ago I might have commiserated with him and agreed everything was crap! He returned fire with a thankyou for being me and helping him see his reason for the bad day. It just occurred to me how karma happens more than we realise and we can influence it more than we realise. Thanks :)

• Author

It was just a question. For one, I have never seen it done to anyone. I defer to you Geishawhelk. You've always shown a clearer picture of things that I could have imagined.

SoulSearch_CO

I've seen it happen. So I'm going to go with "yes."

And I agree with Geisha about the whole thought thing bringing about Karma. I've seen that, too - in action in my own life and in others' lives.

• Author

In time, I guess I'll see. Doubtful thought, Good people usually finish last these days. Its just how it is.

Good people LOOK as if they finish last.

But when it comes to long-term happiness, life satisfaction, contentment and serenity?

They have it.

And how.

Sure you gotta work for it.

But all good things are worth working for.

Is it really some cosmic principle of Karma, or simply that people can only live so long in such a way before they suffer consequences of, or become casualties of, that way of life as a result? Causality or Karma?

Often enough we leave it to a faith in Karma to deal justice when we find ourselves out of control of our situation. I know far too many evil people who still live quite well in spite of themselves, and too many good people who struggle and suffer in spite of their disposition to put faith in Karma. Trust me, both types are quite content in their positions in life.

We see Karma where we want to see it.

I am no Buddhist, and in fact acknowledge that I am lacking in the spirituality department.

Yet, I know first hand that I have been , at different times, Karma's recipient, vehicle, and messenger. I know this for sure.

The knowledge of Karma's (by any name) true existance has helped me own my mistakes, and forgive myself. It has shown me that I do not need to punish those who have wronged me. It has also at times left me looking over my shoulder when I know I have not done the right thing.

With no need to go into my "first hand" experiences - I can tell you that after having seen the results of Karma myself, I now just have faith in it. I dont look for it because I dont need to see those who do wrong be corrected. One way or another they will. If you must have proof, just have patience and take a look around. One high school reunion should do the trick.

Just curious, I read all the time what goes around comes around and Karma will even things up. Does this ever really happen? I have always said this to myself when someone has done me wrong in life or business or whatever. Yet I never actually see this come to pass.

Just curious in general. As I would like to the the universe has a way of correcting the wrongs in life in some shape or form.

I don't believe that the 'universe' corrects anything at all in terms of bringing misfortune to those who deal it out.

People who do bad things often wrong people, either through greed, selfish actions or impulsive behaviours. The more of these acts they committ, the greater likelihood that it will cause a bad situation for them at some point.

I have an 'aquaintace' that has used people, including friends for a long time, for selfish benefit, and committed alot of bad actions.

ie. Cheated on girlfriend with another girl. Other girl got pregnant, because they were careless with birth control.

He used his corporate expense account to take out a lot of 'friends' for drinks/meals and would claim it was clients, and I mean tens of thousands a year. He got caught and was fired AND had to pay it back. He was caught because someone from the office (who was not a friend) was at the same bar (unknown to him) and saw him buying round after round for his friends and ratted on him.

So, 'karma' in my view is that bad people eventually have bad things happen to them at some point.

Often enough we leave it to a faith in Karma to deal justice when we find ourselves out of control of our situation.

And there's the classic mistake.

Karma does nothing,

It's a simple process, it neither judges nor evaluates.

It takes no action.

We see Karma where we want to see it.

And that's the problem.

Actually, we don't.

Because we don't know it, we don't recognise it in action.

But it's happening all the time.

If we really want to get into the nitty-gritty of it, let me just add here, that The Buddha advised people to not get hung up on trying to work Karma - and its progress - out.

He classified it an "An Unconjecturable" because there are countless permutations to take into account.

basically, he said:

Don't sweat it, you won't get anywhere.

If you want to know what karma has done for you so far, look at your body today.

If you want to know where karma will get you into the future, look at your Mind today.

In a nutshell.