Guys, honestly, if a girl smiled and made clear eye contact, what are the chances...

Isolde

that you would start talking to her? Say, at a bus stop, or in a cafe or bookshop.

A friend dared me to ask a guy out this week and I'm at a loss how to do it :o

In case you don't already know, I'm 22 and look pretty young (don't look older than about 20 I'd say). So... I guess guys above 25 might not approach.

I feel "creepy" whenever I single out a guy, lol.

Sure....I do it all the time. But, then again, I'm married :D

It wouldn't really matter though. I like women and am friendly with them. I don't think every women who smiles at me or looks at me wants to date me. That's a bit much......they're just being friendly :)

If

a) I was single

and

b) A girl smiled and made eye contact

and

c) I was interested

Yeah I would walk up and ask her out. However I don't think most men are that confident.

• Author
Sure....I do it all the time. But, then again, I'm married :D

It wouldn't really matter though. I like women and am friendly with them. I don't think every women who smiles at me or looks at me wants to date me. That's a bit much......they're just being friendly :)

Ideally, more guys would think like you. Unfortunately the moment I give a guy the least bit of my attention, he thinks I'm looking for marriage. It's SO annoying and presumptuous.

• Author

I just really want to have something to report on to you guys ;) I'm so boring, haven't been on a date in a half year now. Yawn.

• Author
If

a) I was single

and

b) A girl smiled and made eye contact

and

c) I was interested

Yeah I would walk up and ask her out. However I don't think most men are that confident.

This would be REALLY nice.

So as not to come off completely neutered, if they kiss me I start thinking they might be getting just a bit too friendly. It's about that time that the old male libido starts grinding away a bit. Still open to 'friendly', but perhaps enjoying a bit more spice, while my cynical side is wondering "is this the next situational ego feed?" ;)

OP, don't fret. The holidays are coming up. Lots of opportunities for friendly contact :)

This would be REALLY nice.

So when are we going out :D

hehe I am feeling quite down myself today :(

that you would start talking to her? Say, at a bus stop, or in a cafe or bookshop.

In case you don't already know, I'm 22 and look pretty young (don't look older than about 20 I'd say). So... I guess guys above 25 might not approach.

I would.

I'm sociable.

• Author

OP, don't fret. The holidays are coming up. Lots of opportunities for friendly contact :)

LOL, I wish I could say that I was going to some parties around New Years, but I'm going to be at my parents'. At the most, I'll be getting coffee with a few old friends.

In two days I'll be flying across the country just for fun. I bet I'll meet a lot of friendly people. If I was single, I'd do it on Christmas Eve just for the experience (and maybe a bump :D) and perhaps to meet single women on their way home to visit their parents. I'm very helpful in airports ;)

Seriously, that's just one example of using your strengths to be creative, do something you enjoy and meet people in the process. You know yourself best :)

• Author

Seriously, that's just one example of using your strengths to be creative, do something you enjoy and meet people in the process. You know yourself best :)

I understand what you're saying. Sometimes I take a different route than usual or study in different places just to meet guys. It never works.

I actually picked up a girl in a train station. But, it dint happen on the first day, she gave me the eye and then smiled at me I just said Hi!!(like the way you say it to everyone) thats it..... next day the same thing happend so I said Hi and I went up to her and started talking and then I got her number when i got off the train.....

I din't do that on the first day becaz I dont want to be creepy or give her an Idea that I am going to hit on every girl who smiles at me

I understand what you're saying. Sometimes I take a different route than usual or study in different places just to meet guys. It never works.

Try literally putting yourself into positions where you have to interact with men. A great example for me would be a nice lady (doesn't matter to me whether she's young or old) walking onboard with sizeable carry-on and making eye contact with me. The gentleman in myself will say "maam, can I help you with that?" and there is usually a response. Regardless, I smile and see where it goes. I love to travel and enjoy hearing about other people's travels and experiences if they feel like sharing.

Do something which compels you to interact with men in even the most innocuous of ways and I guarantee something will happen. I know, from your past postings, that you're physically attractive, so it's just a matter of putting yourself in the attention zone of the right man :) I'd love to oblige you, but I'm kinda married and old enough to be your daddy, I think... :D

• Author

Do something which compels you to interact with men in even the most innocuous of ways and I guarantee something will happen.

Well, can you give some more examples? Sometimes I really need to have things spelled out for me :rolleyes:

Not likely... Usually too shy for that. But then I'm likely more the exception than the rule. I have zero confidence/experience with that sort of thing. I'm pretty happy with myself when I can manage a general hi in response. :o

Good luck on your dare.

• Author
Worst case scenario you could always change your LS avatar to an actual picture of you. ;)

Wait how would that help with my dare?

And who says that's not actually me, anyway?

that you would start talking to her?

probably 50%...it depends if I like her looks and the situation and how i feel at the moment :)

• Author

Oh, just to make things clear, I don't have to actually ask someone out, I think I just have to get a date. I'm really interested in seeing how I can get someone random to ask ME, hence this thread.

I'd do it, but I don't really trust girls who do it. Last few times it happened to me the girls were just trying to get attention and ego boosts.

That's OK.... no emotions are invested and it's all in fun. If they get an ego boost, no skin off my nose. There's a lot of boosting left in this old psyche. It's a renewable resource :)

Well, can you give some more examples? Sometimes I really need to have things spelled out for me :rolleyes:

That's really impossible since I don't know you, am not of your generation and am male :D If I had a daughter, I might have a slight clue ;)

Being confident and interested in your world and what you're doing sends positive signals to men that you're someone they'd find interesting too. I think if you take a hard look at yourself, you'll find your truth. The answers are within :)

• Author

Carhill, by examples, I simply mean ways I might be forced to interact, however briefly, with men outside of a school/work environment.

Ha, ha, that's exactly what I mean. I have no clue what you might do outside of the work/school environment. I have no experience to draw from. You see, I was single and pursuing other adventures for a couple decades after leaving school. I wasn't trying to meet women. Closest I came to it was joining our local cycling club. Alas, all the women were married :D

Carhill, by examples, I simply mean ways I might be forced to interact, however briefly, with men outside of a school/work environment.

You could always do what many guys do: just start with an "excuse me" and then a harmless question looking to get a different perspective. The follow up leads to greater flirting capability where a guy will usually take over in the pursuit.

Example (unisex): Hey, are you on facebook? *yes* Do you think it's really offensive to deny a friend request? Well, here's why I ask... my profile has me partying and doing all sorts of stuff in my social life, but recently my little cousin requested me as a friend... she's 14 and I really don't want to mix those worlds together. Is it a huge insult if I deny the request? *conversation ensues (hopefully)*

Beware though... there are a lot of guys that may just answer and miss the whole flirting chance. Don't take it as rejection, because there's a myriad of reasons they may miss/pass on it. Instead, just continue to be friendly, and don't dwell on it. If you're attractive, some guys may freak out just because you're talking to them.