Was I shut down?

Viking

I asked this girl in my class today if she'd like to get dinner with me on Thursday evening, and she said she might be able to when she gets done with class. So, as we were walking out of the building, she's telling me a little about her winter break plans and all, and when we get to the bottom of the stairs, I ask her for her number. Instead of giving it to me, she says, "How about you give me yours..."

WTF is that? For the entire quarter, she seemed to be into me by laughing at my jokes, always talking to me and so on.

Anyways, she said she might call, but I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Any thoughts? Advice on if she does call how not to end up just an easy meal ticket and then blown off?

Thanks!:D

I'm sure some people would disagree with me, but "How about you give me yours..." usually is a polite way of saying no.

If a girl says that to you in the future, just tell her, "nevermind, forget about it".

If she does call you, then in my experience shes the exception rather than the rule/

Yeah, that's pretty strange. Unless she's given her number to several guys before who never ended up calling her, so she got tired of that line and decided it was best for her to get someone's number instead so she'll know she'll get to talk to them again for sure.

However, I'm not sure how likely that is. I don't know. Most people flake out and she probably will too. Weird way of putting things though.

AlektraClementine

Most of the time, the motivations of others have nothing to do with you. I've said that to guys before. She agreed to the date so if she doesn't call you to confirm, politely ask her if you guys are still on. You'll know then based on her response.

She may have a reason completely unrelated to you for asking for your number instead. i.e. already has a boyfriend and doesn't want to get caught (haha) or if you guys are younger like in highschool, she may have an over protective father, etc... you just never know.

What AlektraClementine said.

She may have also had a guy before you who turned into a phone stalker.

You really don't know, so give it time.

If she can't meet you for dinner that night, which in itself is probably BS, because she HAS to eat anyway, ask her for a time she can meet up. If she can't give you one, there's your answer.

Shes just trying to let you down easy. Usually if a girl doesnt give you her number it means shes just not interested. I wouldnt even bother giving her your number. If she wants to go out with you that bad, then she will come and give you her number. Also I think it shows a lack of trust on her part.

• Author

Yesterday was the last day of class for the quarter...that's why I asked, I figured I literally had NOTHING to lose as I won't be taking any other classes with her.

I've never had that happen to me before, so I was just wondering what it meant. I gave her my number but I figured it means nothing. I should have said, "Forget it, I thought you'd be a nice person to take out. I guess I was wrong..."