strobe lights

todd

i was wondering if any one had heard of this condition called photo phobia? i am dating this girl who says that she cant be around strobe lights, says that she can have convulsions from them? i have never heard of this, i wonder if it is true or is she making this up to avoid going to some places with me?

she refuses to go any where with me that has flickering lights, strobe lights, or even the silver ball with the colored lights that bounce off the walls. she said she was not going to tell me but since alot of places we go to have these lights she was forced to tell me. she said she can take meds for it but they have such nasty side effects that she dont want to take them. is this for real because i have not ever heard of such a thing? thank you all in advance.

There is photo phobia but what your lady has is NOT necessarily a phobia. People who have a violent reaction to bright flashing strobe lights may develop a phobia of the experience.

Certain people have a brain disorder that can be set off by the flashing of lights. Strobe lights, such as those used at rock concerts or inside plush night clubs, can induce migraine headaches, convulsions, loss of balance, loss of spacial interpretation, petit mal seizures, panic attacks, minor motor seizures and other maladies.

If your lady has told you she can't handle these situations, believe me, she can't. Take her word for it and respect that. And don't put her down for having this problem, which is neurochemical and none of her fault.

There is a drug used for this that has little side effects, called Klonopin, but it's probably better just for her to avoid these types of lighting shows rather than get into a prescription drug regimen for something she rarely experiences.

People with this condition usually have other underlying nervous disorders or are very high strung. Many of them get better with the passing of time...but usually many years.

so it really does exist? do you know the medical term? i have done a search on google and cant seem to find any info on this. that is exactly what she said she has, is all the above conditions if she is around them. she told me one time she was riding her bike down a tree lined street and had a seizure as an effect of the sun streaming through the trees causing a strobe light effect.

i didnt really believe her at first but now i do. thank you for opening my eyes. the medicine she mentioned i think was called tegrotal? she said it was very strong and made her feel terrible. she has developed a phobia from this, maybe that is her name for it the phobia part any way.

she is almost terrified of these lights and the sun going through the trees. we live in a high altitude state so we are close to the sun which makes it more intensified. im not very good with geography but do you know what state is furthest from the sun? just curious in case we ever move together i would move us furthest from the sun so she would not have to worry so much.

thank you for such a long and detailed and thought out response, i feel much better knowing about this so i can help her better now. i just could't believe some thing like this really existed. i seem a movie years ago called "looking for mr. good bar" and in the movie the lady had a seizure on the dance floor from i guess the strobe lights but i never made the connection with her.

well thank you again, i will use this info to help her.

There is photo phobia but what your lady has is NOT necessarily a phobia. People who have a violent reaction to bright flashing strobe lights may develop a phobia of the experience. Certain people have a brain disorder that can be set off by the flashing of lights. Strobe lights, such as those used at rock concerts or inside plush night clubs, can induce migraine headaches, convulsions, loss of balance, loss of spacial interpretation, petit mal seizures, panic attacks, minor motor seizures and other maladies. If your lady has told you she can't handle these situations, believe me, she can't. Take her word for it and respect that. And don't put her down for having this problem, which is neurochemical and none of her fault. There is a drug used for this that has little side effects, called Klonopin, but it's probably better just for her to avoid these types of lighting shows rather than get into a prescription drug regimen for something she rarely experiences.

People with this condition usually have other underlying nervous disorders or are very high strung. Many of them get better with the passing of time...but usually many years.

Cut and paste the following URL in your browser for some interesting reading: http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro99/web2/Cenedella.html

After you read that, go into your google search engine and type out "strobe light convulsions" without the quotes. The press the search key. You'll find hundreds of articles on the subject, including ones about strobe-light induced epileptic attacks.

Google is great but you've got to know what words to enter. It does get tricky sometimes. Once you read the information on a few of those sights, you'll have a great new understanding of what your lady is going through.

hey cool and thank you tony you are on top of things.

Cut and paste the following URL in your browser for some interesting reading: http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neuro99/web2/Cenedella.html

After you read that, go into your google search engine and type out "strobe light convulsions" without the quotes. The press the search key. You'll find hundreds of articles on the subject, including ones about strobe-light induced epileptic attacks. Google is great but you've got to know what words to enter. It does get tricky sometimes. Once you read the information on a few of those sights, you'll have a great new understanding of what your lady is going through.

hey tony, i read alot of articles on this subject then i called my girlfriend and told her what i was reading, pretty impresive she said. i told her about this board and how i got this information from you. in the articles i read about an aura. i asked her if she had an aura before and she said that she gets an aura and it is exactly like an panic attack which she gets frequently. she said that when she gets a panic attack she freaks out badly because she dont know if it is an aura or just an panic attack.

this is really cool stuff, i never heard of such a thing, then i meet this lady who has this and now i feel like a wealth of information to help her out. i know i will not take her anywhere where there are strobe lights now that i understand more. i cant believe all those kids had seizures from pokeman! that is so insane, what a bummer to for them.

as for the state away from the sun, i was serious about that, would you know what it is? i told her we could move away from the sun and she laughed, she is so good natured it is such a shame she has to go through this. she never goes any where without sun glasses, she says they save her life.

she also said that she has to sometimes avoid being out doors in the early morning and early evening when the sun is rising and setting because the sun is in the trees during that time and it is the strobe light effect. she said how much this disorder has ruined her life and caused her to live such a sheltered life as well.

i felt sorry for her, but she don't want pity only to live without this problem, she thinks that is what triggered the panic attacks, she got something called agoraphobia (spelling) and that she was reclusive for quite a while and that may have triggered her panic attacks as well. i know she sounds like a wreck but really she is so good, so sweet, so fun, she works goes to school in the evening, is trying spanish and is quite funny with it.

well are you a dr. of some sort to know so much about this? any recommendations on this panic thing i can help her with now? i know i cant do nothing about the seizures except keep her safe from lights which i will do happily. thanks again man, you have been such a big help for me and her becaus if i understand what is happeneing to her then it helps us to and she is truly a keeper.

After you read that, go into your google search engine and type out "strobe light convulsions" without the quotes. The press the search key. You'll find hundreds of articles on the subject, including ones about strobe-light induced epileptic attacks. Google is great but you've got to know what words to enter. It does get tricky sometimes. Once you read the information on a few of those sights, you'll have a great new understanding of what your lady is going through.

You really shouldn't have told me about her....now she's going to like me a lot more than she likes you...and we may have to duke it out, you know!!!

There are many excellent treatments for panic disorder and agoraphobia. Use your search engine to find some excellent sites on those subjects.

Usually, people who suffer from these disorders have an underlying depression which is treated very well with antidepressents, especially Paxil which has been found extremely effective for anxiety disorders associated with depression.

Klonopin is also an excellent medication that can be taken in combination with the antidepressants.

This is a complicated subject and these disorders should be treated by a highly competent psychiatrist.

This really sounds like an epilectic seizure that she had. I have personally had a seizure before... except there is no medical reason for what I had. I cannot get blood taken or get shots administered sitting in the upright position... otherwise I can feel it coming on. This is a terribly bad thing to go through and dizzyness is usually the first sign that it's coming. When I say dizzyness, it's VERY VERY bad dizzyness... I lose my hearing completely and become extremely dizzy and light headed, at which time my vision starts to fade out. There are medications that can be administered if it is found to be epilectic. She does have a chance. As for me, I just lay down when getting blood taken or get a shot... if I don't I could die.

The reason for her problem .. as an epilectic has, is the "flashing" of the light... even light that may seem constant to you may flash a bit for her and may cause problems. Remember, there are a lot of things that could possibly trigger an epilectic seizure.. such as televisions, sun light, computer monitors, and basically anything that flashes. Ask her if she gets dizzy from flashing lights... and mostly light headed before anything happens.

I wish you the best of luck in finding out what this is.

hey tony, i read alot of articles on this subject then i called my girlfriend and told her what i was reading, pretty impresive she said. i told her about this board and how i got this information from you. in the articles i read about an aura. i asked her if she had an aura before and she said that she gets an aura and it is exactly like an panic attack which she gets frequently. she said that when she gets a panic attack she freaks out badly because she dont know if it is an aura or just an panic attack. this is really cool stuff, i never heard of such a thing, then i meet this lady who has this and now i feel like a wealth of information to help her out. i know i will not take her anywhere where there are strobe lights now that i understand more. i cant believe all those kids had seizures from pokeman! that is so insane, what a bummer to for them. as for the state away from the sun, i was serious about that, would you know what it is? i told her we could move away from the sun and she laughed, she is so good natured it is such a shame she has to go through this. she never goes any where without sun glasses, she says they save her life. she also said that she has to sometimes avoid being out doors in the early morning and early evening when the sun is rising and setting because the sun is in the trees during that time and it is the strobe light effect. she said how much this disorder has ruined her life and caused her to live such a sheltered life as well. i felt sorry for her, but she don't want pity only to live without this problem, she thinks that is what triggered the panic attacks, she got something called agoraphobia (spelling) and that she was reclusive for quite a while and that may have triggered her panic attacks as well. i know she sounds like a wreck but really she is so good, so sweet, so fun, she works goes to school in the evening, is trying spanish and is quite funny with it. well are you a dr. of some sort to know so much about this? any recommendations on this panic thing i can help her with now? i know i cant do nothing about the seizures except keep her safe from lights which i will do happily. thanks again man, you have been such a big help for me and her becaus if i understand what is happeneing to her then it helps us to and she is truly a keeper.

I just wanted to state that my problem is not in the epilectic, but I know people who have this problem. My problem lies in a medical mystery, that only I and my sister have.

This really sounds like an epilectic seizure that she had. I have personally had a seizure before... except there is no medical reason for what I had. I cannot get blood taken or get shots administered sitting in the upright position... otherwise I can feel it coming on. This is a terribly bad thing to go through and dizzyness is usually the first sign that it's coming. When I say dizzyness, it's VERY VERY bad dizzyness... I lose my hearing completely and become extremely dizzy and light headed, at which time my vision starts to fade out. There are medications that can be administered if it is found to be epilectic. She does have a chance. As for me, I just lay down when getting blood taken or get a shot... if I don't I could die. The reason for her problem .. as an epilectic has, is the "flashing" of the light... even light that may seem constant to you may flash a bit for her and may cause problems. Remember, there are a lot of things that could possibly trigger an epilectic seizure.. such as televisions, sun light, computer monitors, and basically anything that flashes. Ask her if she gets dizzy from flashing lights... and mostly light headed before anything happens. I wish you the best of luck in finding out what this is.

she finally told me that she has is called "photo sensitive consulsive disorder" only brought on by the lights, she has never had one before by any other reason, only the lights. thank you for sharing that, it must be hard to go through this kind of thing.

she seems to have it under control for the most part as long as she avoids any kind of flickering lights. the t.v. or computer dont seem to bother her, she spends enough time on both! hahaha

anyway, thank you for responding i appreciate that.

I just wanted to state that my problem is not in the epilectic, but I know people who have this problem. My problem lies in a medical mystery, that only I and my sister have.

that was a good one tony, i willhave to make sure i don't tell her about this site now so she don't come looking for you!

thank you for all your help, i thought about the anti-depressant thing and asked her about it, she says she has been down that road and they did help with the anxiety but killed her sex life, so it was one or the other and since she was use to having a sex life and panic attacks she opted to get off them.

thank you again, you have really opened my eyes to alot of new stuff here, i may be back again to check out this site further, maybe i can offer advice to someone else like you did to me.

You really shouldn't have told me about her....now she's going to like me a lot more than she likes you...and we may have to duke it out, you know!!!

Life is like a box of chocolates

Some epeleptic people are photophobic. I have a friend who had a fit while playing a poker machine. The flickering of the reels turning induced it. Some epileptics may only have a convulsion due to flickering lights or visual patterns. It's more prevalent among girls.

Some photophobic people have not had a seizure yet. Some photophobic people aren't even epileptic.

Many albino people are also photophobic.

Some people who take drugs (esp cocaine) can suffer from photophobia.

This problem isn't anything to be particularly concerned with. If she's aware of her health and handles any condition she might have with sensibility, then there is no big issue at all.

Strobe lights are notorious for affecting photophobic people.

Some people find being photophobic embarassing. It probably took some courage for her to admit her problem to you. Things could be worse....she could be manophobic (now, wouldn't THAT be a bummer?)