Doing right/doing it wrong

JHS

Okay, here's the scenario: I see a woman in whom I have been interested for probably 2 years (give or take) and we never seem to be able to see each other when we are both free to talk. Finally it happens - she's getting coffee and I was getting a sandwich so I ask her if she's sitting, she says yes, and we have a nice lunch together (I knew we would). Upon leaving, I tell her that I always wanted to have lunch with her and ask if I can take her again and she says sure and gives her phone number.

Later that day I get an invitation for a small party at a friend's restaurant who is celebrating 3 years so I call her and invite her via voice-mail. I mention that I hope it's not too soon but that it could be fun, and if not, no need to call back (I am pretty sure she was working until 8:00).

So no call back then and no call back since and I have not called her (not for any reason other than busy).

I know that some people have certain rules to say that you should not call someone too soon so the question is, did I and if so, was it fatal?