Opening Up?

smlinebe

I have been with my boyfriend for about 2 years now and we do talk about getting married one day. The problem is, that he has a really hard time opening up to me. When I tell him about something that is bothering me, he acts as if he is barely listening (although he IS and can repeat everything I said) much less respond with what HE thinks. I asked him if he is nervous or needs time to think about it or something and he said that he just doesn't know how he feels. I asked him if he would consider couples counseling and he said he would consider it BUT when I asked if he would try to talk if we went, he said "I don't know". It's like he can't find what he feels or something. I know he used to be open about things and he had a girl break his heart real bad--I think it is related to that...I asked him to think of things that might help him and that I would support in any way that I could. I don't know if he doesn't trust anyone, if he is scared, if he is afraid I won't like what he says?? I promised I would not be upset if he would just tell me ANYTHING. There has been ONE time where he broke down (crying) because I was really upset and he just didn't know what to do, but other than that, I have never seen him show emotion (other than telling me he loves me and that I'm amazing). He doesn't respond when I'm upset and he never seems to have anything that upsets him (and heaven knows I'm not perfect--there must be something that I do sometime to upset him, hurt his feelings, irritate him, something). I just need suggestions about what he may be going through or suggestions to give him that might help him to find his emotions. Sorry this is so long. I love him so much, but I can't spend the rest of my life talking to a wall :(