Not Clicking with Them is Making me Miss "Him" even More

uniqueone

Not sure whether to put this under "Dating" or "Coping" but guess I'll put it here....

So I got back on the personals a few days ago and have gotten a bunch of messages. A few looked to be promising. I had ruled out the ones who were too young...the ones too old.....the ones I wasn't attracted to....the one's that just send one line like: "hey, your pretty" (and yeah, they spell it that way too).

So there were just a few that weren't too bad...they were educated professionals, attractive, fit.....

Here's what they turned out to be after talking or emailing them:

A well-to-do man (outside my state) who, along with his daughters is auditioning for a mate. Lucky me...I've been chosen as a contestant. Seems they fly to meet the person or they fly the person to meet them. I keep thinking of the Von Trappe family. Maybe I'll use it as a free vacation. I hope they don't make me sing.

Then there's the therapist (5 hours away). I think he already has us married. He told me about how many jobs in my field they have in his city and how he has a house so I wouldn't have to work right away while I search for one. I think he's already picked out a china pattern. Then again, I HAD planned on going to visit his city this summer and my plans fell through, so maybe......

Then there's the guy who was an auditor for the Feds and quit it to become a musician. While he plays some fairly big venues at times, he still quit a cushy job with great benefits. He had one of those voices though that sounds like he's got peanut butter stuck to the roof of his mouth. On the phone, he told me he liked my voice. I almost said "I don't really care for yours." Good think I just thought it instead.

There was another who wrote me tons of messages and at first I wrote back. But then I saw on his ad how he liked the whole camping and fishing thing.....not my cup of tea....but wait, it gets worse.....he spelled "petals" on his ad "peddles"....it still gets worse.....he mentioned on his ad how last Val-Day, he kissed his then girlfriend for 15 hours and 36 mins just to be on this one tv show...then said it was really just to spend time with her....because he's such a romantic.....

Aw....... (excuse me while I go puke)

Sorry, but I couldn't take a guy like that.

Anyway, my point is, this has me missing "him" even more now. The conversation just isn't like it was with him. :(

Well, Using the personals is really hard!

Its funny but when you meet people through that kind of situation you dont really get an accurate feel for them. So many of those guys are just striving to be what they think you want rather than who they are.

I dont know the backstory behind the one your missing... but I can tell you that usually it just takes time. Oh, and meeting someone better helps too!

sunshinegirl

Awww, I can totally relate. I've had two particularly hard breakups, after which the re-entry into the dating world was nothing less than traumatic. I met my share of weirdos, geeks, pervs, and just plain oddballs, each of whom only made me miss my ex-boyfriend that much more. I didn't want to go through the whole process of meeting someone new, going through that "get to know you" process. I went home from some of my dates almost in tears.

And Cobra's right, it really is a matter of time, and meeting someone decent. :) Who knows if it will happen tomorrow, or next week, or next year, but it will happen.

In the meantime, maybe it would help to think of all of these guys as funny stories you can tell your future mate and kids? That also helped me. :)

• Author
Well, Using the personals is really hard!

Its funny but when you meet people through that kind of situation you dont really get an accurate feel for them. So many of those guys are just striving to be what they think you want rather than who they are.

I dont know the backstory behind the one your missing... but I can tell you that usually it just takes time. Oh, and meeting someone better helps too!

You know for once I DID have the opportunity to meet someone through a friend and then that fell through. All I'm stuck with is the personals.

And I don't really click with people that often. I'm not your run-of-the-mill person. My ad is a bit different than most.

You know for once I DID have the opportunity to meet someone through a friend and then that fell through. All I'm stuck with is the personals.

And I don't really click with people that often. I'm not your run-of-the-mill person. My ad is a bit different than most.

1st... where are you posting your ad? Second... what do you mean your not the "run of the mill?" Are you trying to say that you have a fully functioning brain? Thats pretty(sp) rare IMHO!

I suppose Im the opposite... I click with everbody. I kind of get that one raised eyebrow when I hear you have problems in that department. Any idea why thats an issue for you? (Im not dogging on you! Just think this bears further consideration).

• Author
1st... where are you posting your ad?

On a major personals site.

Second... what do you mean your not the "run of the mill?" Are you trying to say that you have a fully functioning brain? Thats pretty(sp) rare IMHO!

I've been told that my ad is different from all the others and that all the others sound alike. I've been told that by tons of guys so no, it's not just a line. My ad is a comedy of sorts. It makes people laugh and some write me just to thank me for giving them a laugh. I've been told by many that I should write comedy.

I suppose Im the opposite... I click with everbody. I kind of get that one raised eyebrow when I hear you have problems in that department. Any idea why thats an issue for you? (Im not dogging on you! Just think this bears further consideration).

I'm not saying that I don't get along with people. I'm saying that I don't find them like me. What appeals to me is high intelligence and wit. But it's not just that, it's a number of things...it's a feeling....it's chemistry....it's similar interests.......

I've been told that my ad is different from all the others and that all the others sound alike. I've been told that by tons of guys so no, it's not just a line. My ad is a comedy of sorts. It makes people laugh and some write me just to thank me for giving them a laugh. I've been told by many that I should write comedy.

I'm not saying that I don't get along with people. I'm saying that I don't find them like me. What appeals to me is high intelligence and wit. But it's not just that, it's a number of things...it's a feeling....it's chemistry....it's similar interests.......

At least your not using craigslist. Ughh... Ive got two friends who use that. Its one trainwreck after another!

Funny is good. Your ad probably is unique, is there any consistent trends in the type of guy it tends to attract?

I wasnt implying that you dont get along with others... It's the lack of commonality that I find odd. Do you view that as a positive or negative attribute in yourself?