Subway encounter...

MagnoliaJane

MagnoliaJane

I often read on LS that's it's good to be spontaneous. Well, a few days ago I was spontaneous. While waiting for the subway (that didn't seem to come for ages) I started talking to a man. Happens to be an actor and said something to me about a park. I work with plants so we had some small talk about work, plants and acting. He gives me his card before he steps out of the subway.

I didn't feel like calling him but wrote a short message, saying nice meeting you, and I've not met an actor before, so if you feel like telling me some more about acting, please feel free to do so.

So, I figured it would be nice to have some email conversation.

He writes back, saying he's gonna make it a short message because his keyboard is hampering, but he can meet me this Wednesday or Friday. repeats his cell phone #

I am like, wow, I didn't even think of meeting with him.

So I am kind of taken away by this. On the other hand I normally don't write emails to people I just met either. But it was kind of a very neutral email that I wrote saying it was nice talking to you today on the subway.

I'm not sure about meeting the guy though, I know it's NYC but I am not that fast.

I guess my (hopefully not too naive) question is: has this happened to you before? You meet a total stranger and he says I can see you day so and so the same week without you even asking to meet with him?

hmmm... I'm puzzled. But then again, I haven't been really into the NYC social scene so maybe it's a NYC thing? Anyone any advice? How would you react? Oh, by the way, I'm neither looking for a lover, nor for a relationship, but a friend would be nice.

I would say go for it!

I've done that once and got some! Actually nothing ventured nothing gained, always good to have friends. Do let him know your interested in friendship or whatever your intentions.

• Author
MagnoliaJane

Well... it does have something of an adventure.

I'm not sure how these chance encounters work out though... I mean... I really do not know the man at all, apart from what I've just read on his myspace profile - at least he doesn't sound shallow :), likes politics and so, that's a good thing, at least I'll have something to talk about :)

I guess it's just so not me to run off on a date with someone I absolutely don't know, kinda makes me nervous...

But maybe that's just me. I am used to getting to know people through friends, or at work, and then it's different - you first get to know each other and then do something together. Here's it's "hi let's meet there" (and then get to know each other). Feels a bit "forced" to me (but maybe I have to loosen up and broaden my horizons) :)

Still, a woman can't be too careful these days...

It is NYC, so be careful.

Remember, most relationships start with a greeting, even the one night stands.

A noncommittal coffee meeting is not a bad thing to have with the person. Just meet in public. The subways can be crowded, warm, even a sauna so things are bound to happen. :D