Which do you prefer? Great Looks or Great personality

Melissa24

Hello everyone ,

Im new to the forum ,just joined this afternoon.

I have a question mainly for females. If you had a choice between a great looking guy who is hot ,but his personality is lacking ,or a average looking guy ,but he has a awesome personaity. Which would you prefer?

BonneKarma

Melissa - this relates very well to my post!

I would definitely prefer the great guy with not so great looks. I've dated the hot guys, with or without personality, and there just seems to be a certain air about them (the ones that I've dated anyways) like they could get any girl they want.

StartingOver07

A great personality can boost appearance. Good looks can't boost personality. IMO. All the guys I have been most drawn to physically are guys whose looks were average but whose personalities grew on me until they became totally hot.... to me. And that's all that matters. :)

Hello everyone ,

I have a question mainly for females. If you had a choice between a great looking guy who is hot ,but his personality is lacking ,or a average looking guy ,but he has a awesome personaity. Which would you prefer?

and it depends what we mean by 'personality'... I am not very sociable...so if a guy is looking for an extroverted woman...this is not me... if the guy is shy, that won't bother me either, if the guy is ... and so on and so on...

looks are important to me... I might be shallow but the guy has to be very clean, straight white teeth, no skin condition, etc.

So I would say both are important....look and personality. but on the other hand... if the guy is a knockout but ignorant...it's a turn-off...

But if the guy is 'average' like you say...with an amazing personality that might work... I like this combination better than the previous one.

socialight

you can't even get an honest answer on an anonymous message board.

95% of the women in this world will say personality over looks. And 94 of those 95% would dump their "personality" guy for brad pitt or geoge clooney in a heartbeat.

Cut the crap, women are just as superficial as men, if not more so.

BonneKarma

I may be strange that way, but I've turned down virtually every 'classically goodlooking' guy that has asked me out. In fact, rude people have always asked me why I tend to 'date down'... so rude! I'm just more attracted to character, and naturally there are limits - there still has to be features that I find attractive like nice eyes or smile.

Hello everyone ,

Welcome to LS. :)

The guy can be as hot as he wants, but if his personality sucks, his no longer hot in my eyes.

I'll go with average looking that has an awesome personality. Because that in it'self makes him hot. :D

IfWishesWereHorses

I would go for personality in a heart beat. That said, I don't find myself attracted to men that don't have dark hair or greying hair that was once dark. I just can't even find an attraction for a great looking hunk with blonde or light brown hair. How weird is that?

If we are talking about a relationship then personality, character, intelligence, culture, and a sense of humor outweigh looks 10 to 1 in my book.

95% of the women in this world will say personality over looks. And 94 of those 95% would dump their "personality" guy for brad pitt or geoge clooney in a heartbeat.

A little bitter are we?:confused:

socialight

no just kidding, I just think it's hilarious that every woman on this board is going to spout the personality line but when you go out you know darn well that hot women are going to gravitate to hot men, and vice versa, and all this stuff about personality is only true RELATIVE to guys that they think are hot enough.

What I mean is that some superhot girl may think she is picking based on personality, ignoring the fact that she is subconciously excluding 95% of the guys out there because of looks.

You can argu it all you want but the facts are on my side!

no just kidding, I just think it's hilarious that every woman on this board is going to spout the personality line but when you go out you know darn well that hot women are going to gravitate to hot men, and vice versa, and all this stuff about personality is only true RELATIVE to guys that they think are hot enough.

What I mean is that some superhot girl may think she is picking based on personality, ignoring the fact that she is subconciously excluding 95% of the guys out there because of looks.

You can argu it all you want but the facts are on my side!

and which facts are those? Your own personal experiences?

I'm sorry if you have been hurt in the past, but its ridiculous to generalize all or most women into one category, but that seems to be common now-a-days around here.

Unfortunately some women are superficial, but most of them are great.

RecordProducer

Being attracted to someone physically doesn't mean that they have great looks. I can't be attrcated to someone whose personality I don't like. On the other hand, if I am totally not attracted to the guy's looks, I probably wouldn't even give him a chance to show his personality to me.

Someone who is not-bad-looking, charming, intelligent, self-confident, and funny is most likely to garb my attention. The handsome guys don't buy my attention any more than the average ones, unless they present more qualities.

I'd screw Brad Pitt or George Clooney - but I wouldn't want to date them.

Looks don't win out over personality - not in the long run. The last 2 guys I went out with were absolutely gorgeous, with interesting personalities, but horrible emotional damage - I dumped both of them, despite their looks.

Star Gazer

I wonder why you ladies seem to treat to two characteristics as mutually exclusive?

Yes, I'd do Clooney - because he's got the charm to go with his stunning grin.

That said, beauty fades, as does a man's handsome good looks. I need a reason to want to sit across from the man at the breakfast table 10, 20, 30, 50 years from now, ya know? I'd pick an average Joe with a fantastic personality over a dull pretty boy any day of the week.

socialight

this is getting pathetic. Personality, sense of humor, etc all. But I don't see any of you screaming to get hooked up with Weird Al Yankovic.

Please be honest and admit that, while yes, personality can be very important, and yes, in the long run, it's probably the most important thing (i admit that about women), you all know damn well that if a guy doesn't cut it in the looks department for you the personality in question is never going to get a chance to come into play.

Trialbyfire

I'll tell you a little story about George Clooney. I didn't find him attractive for years and years, thinking he looked more plastic than anything else. I couldn't understand his mass appeal. Then, I watched Ocean's Eleven and thought, wow, his Danny Ocean personna was something else. After that, I've been completely entranced with this actor.

There you have it. I think it's a pretty good illustration of my personality preference over looks. A pretty face is meaningless if there's core rot or a lack of substance.

serial muse
this is getting pathetic. Personality, sense of humor, etc all. But I don't see any of you screaming to get hooked up with Weird Al Yankovic.

Please be honest and admit that, while yes, personality can be very important, and yes, in the long run, it's probably the most important thing (i admit that about women), you all know damn well that if a guy doesn't cut it in the looks department for you the personality in question is never going to get a chance to come into play.

Oh, relax. The question was about average-looking guys with awesome personalities, not crazy-haired only-Hawaiian-shirt-wearing goofballs (and this is coming from a huge Weird Al fan, back in the day). Average. So yes, I think it's safe to say that many, many women will go for the awesome, well-groomed-and-presentable-but-nowhere-near-Brad-Pitt guy who charms their socks off over the pretty-looking block of wood. Happens all the time.

Generally, there aren't those two extremes anyway, so it's kind of a non-question. But for argument's sake.

Trialbyfire

Not true unless you're talking about the guy who looks so bad, he makes a woman want to dry heave. Your average guy with a killer personality will have reasonably mature women flocking.

-edit: Btw, weird Al is just too weird. Insufficient substance.

What I mean is that some super hot girl may think she is picking based on personality, ignoring the fact that she is subconsciously excluding 95% of the guys out there because of looks.

You can argue it all you want but the facts are on my side!

This is so true. You don’t see personality standing across the room. But then good looks only get the women’s attention. You have to back it up by being interesting and entertaining.

Just my opinion but it occurs to me that what ultimately draws a couple into a relationship is their interaction with each other. Most women will say that they prefer personality because they know, or have some insecurity, that the really handsome guys wouldn’t interact with them as they would like.

• Author

Well ,maybe not exactly Weird Al Yankovic ,but a average looking guy with a great personality.

Okay if I'm not attracted to that person there is no chance but if I'm attractive to someone who's average looking and has a great personality, their hot to me.

And sorry but I'm not your average girl who goes for a pretty face. I have standards. I don't take one and learn to like the other. How retarded.

serial muse
This is so true. You don’t see personality standing across the room. But then good looks only get the women’s attention. You have to back it up by being interesting and entertaining.

Just my opinion but it occurs to me that what ultimately draws a couple into a relationship is their interaction with each other. Most women will say that they prefer personality because they know, or have some insecurity, that the really handsome guys wouldn’t interact with them as they would like.

Don't underestimate the power of a cheerful, friendly face and an awesome personality. You can see those things from across the room, they're magnetic.

And yes, I know it's not exactly what you meant but I agree with the initial point that chemistry is highly individual.

Don't underestimate the power of a cheerful, friendly face and an awesome personality. You can see those things from across the room, they're magnetic.
Thoughts somewhat like this crossed my mind as I typed my previous post. Also, many times, such as the way a person walks and holds their head, their physical movements are expressions of their personality.
Trialbyfire
Thoughts somewhat like this crossed my mind as I typed my previous post. Also, many times, such as the way a person walks and holds their head, their physical movements are expressions of their personality.

Each individual has preferences as to what they find appealing. When a man walks by with confidence in his stride, I know that I'm far more likely to watch him walk by than a guy who slouches along. This is regardless of looks.