Dumb question...

SouthernT

I dont know much about dating but can someone explain to me the difference between "dating" and a "relationship"? Out of the two, at what point are the two of you "boyfriend/girlfriend"? I'm asking because from what I understand, people have different definitions and different expectations between the two. Just need some clarity. Thanks.

StartingOver07

Dating is when you go places, make plans, etc. A relationship is when you sit home on the couch and watch tv for the most part. :laugh:

Ok, more seriously, I think dating is more the "getting to know you" phase and once you become gf/bf, you have entered relationship waters. Relationship implies that there is some staying power. Dating could end tomorrow OR lead to r/s.

peace_pipe
I dont know much about dating but can someone explain to me the difference between "dating" and a "relationship"?

The difference is relative. They both mean slightly different things to different people.

Example: The last girl I dated thought of dating as "exclusive", whereas I consider dating to be a non-exclusive time and a process of deciding if you want to take it further.

So, it is all relative to the person. You will have to ask them.

Out of the two, at what point are the two of you "boyfriend/girlfriend"?

When the games stop and when you have a discussion about it.

DanielMadr

I think it is more important to know what you see under these terms and communicate it.

Relationship is when you two share more then thoughts.

And even in relationship you can take her out "on date" to keep things fresh.

pick up - talk

dating - kiss

relationship (sexual) - sex

serious relationship - more sex and bond

engagement - the strip went blue

marriage - more sex, kids

death - rotting in the shared grave, peace (sex with virgins if you are suicide bomber of islamic faith)

• Author

so pretty much... there is no "standard" template that everyone follows. I always thought that (for me personally) that if we are dating, that I didn't really have the right to question a guy about too much and he doesnt have to answer to me. (but at the same time, keep the lines of communication open on whether or not we are still on the same page) And during this phase there will be NO sex if the guy doesnt have to answer to me. And then to me, the "relationship" starts when we have decided to take things to a intimate/sexual level and I would expect to be exclusive. What does everyone think about my take on the two?