Age Gape Relationships

burning 4 revenge

burning 4 revenge

Don't age gaps (10 years or more) seem much more appropriate between older women and younger men? Is it just me who feels something creepy and unatural with age gaps bewteen older men and younger women?

sorry for typo in title

I think that is how a majority of society views it. I guess you could look at Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes and then look at Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher and see which one looks more appropriate to you. I have heard more people talk smack about the Latter of the two.

^ Okay it looks like I'm stalking you but I'm not.

Oh no not again.

How about dating someone young enough so you don't feel like a perv but old enough to not be someone's mid live crisis sex toy?

Well, H. is ten years older, and while it may have contributed to some of our problems, I don't think it is the main issue and I don't feel creepy about it.

However, I will say that he has always looked younger than his age. If he had looked 32 when we met (and that seemed old at the time) I might not have been as open to him.

Also, I was over 21 when we met.

creepy! HAHA utter rubbish!

its much more acceptable for older men younger women... oddily its in our genetics shock horror! but no doubt someone is going to try and disprove the plain fact the women mature fast than men... thus requiring the older maturer men... then after years of trying to bully him, they try and get a younger model who isnt as attractive etc etc, but they can boss him around, until teh ugly fella gets a back bone and stands up to the older women!

Trialbyfire

In order for any age gap LTRs to work, both of you have to be at the same place in life with realistic expectations of the future.

Beyond that, you are either looking at short-term fixes for problems within you or you're looking at short-term physical relationships. If both of you are aware of this and want it, hey, it's your life.

Can'tGiveUp
However, I will say that he has always looked younger than his age. If he had looked 32 when we met (and that seemed old at the time) I might not have been as open to him.

This ties to a thread I started that had only one response. When is the right time to disclose your age? I look younger than I am...

In order for any age gap LTRs to work, both of you have to be at the same place in life with realistic expectations of the future.

Absolutely...I have my kids and my career is established. Guys 10-15 years younger than me are likely in a different place in their lives. I guess I really don't want to waste their time or mine dating if there is a complete clash in terms of what we are looking for right now.

On the other hand - if you don't go out, you never know what you might miss. I guess I just think I'd be more comfortable if he knows in advance as opposed to springing it on him while we are out.

I knew his age almost from the beginning. He never withheld that. I think his youthful looks just softened the age difference for me.

Also, as TBF mentioned, we were at the same place in our lives. We were both just about to start grad school. He had taken ten years to just work and think about what path he would take. So we had been married quite some time by the time he finished his PhD. He was 40 by the time he finished.

My ex-husband was 19 years younger than me. Looking back on it now, yeah, it was kind of creepy.

If I were single, I guess I'd go for a younger man now. It's tough though...older men rock too! So glad I don't have to decide.:p

Starry-eyed
Don't age gaps (10 years or more) seem much more appropriate between older women and younger men? Is it just me who feels something creepy and unatural with age gaps bewteen older men and younger women?

sorry for typo in title

So do you think a woman dating a man 10 years her senior is creepy? Does it depend on their general age range?

So do you think a woman dating a man 10 years her senior is creepy? Does it depend on their general age range?

Hey, Starry-eyed, how's it going?

Starry-eyed
Hey, Starry-eyed, how's it going?

Hi Storyrider! Things are going pretty well: super good in some areas, a little scary and unsure in others. I moved into an apartment two weeks ago. It was stressful and scary mainly due to money and the reality of not living with another person anymore, but now I like my apartment, 'though I'm still unpacking.

I'm still seeing my co-worker (who is 10 years older than I (like your H) and it doesn't seem to me like an age gap but maybe that's 'cause I'm 40) and that is fun and good. And my dogs already have new homes and they seem like good homes, and that is a wonderful relief, but I still miss them.

I've wondered how things are going with you. I haven't posted much lately and haven't heard any updates from you. :) How are things?

Do you consider yourself to be a "younger woman" compared to your H?

Id much rather date a girl a few years younger then me instead of a few years older. and I kind of look down upon a guy when I see he's seriously dating, and not just screwing a woman who is 10 years or more older then him

I'm still seeing my co-worker (who is 10 years older than I (like your H) and it doesn't seem to me like an age gap but maybe that's 'cause I'm 40) and that is fun and good. And my dogs already have new homes and they seem like good homes, and that is a wonderful relief, but I still miss them.

I've wondered how things are going with you. I haven't posted much lately and haven't heard any updates from you. :) How are things?

Do you consider yourself to be a "younger woman" compared to your H?

Things are pretty good.

The age gap doesn't affect us much. I'm almost 39 and he's almost 49. It comes up with stupid stuff, like TV and music, but some of that is his own weird lack of interest in pop culture. Like tonight I was making some reference to "The Incredible Hulk" with Lou Farigno (sp?), and he had no clue b/c he'd never watched it. Annoying. I have no idea if that is the age gap or not. But he says that I relate everything back to TV, so whatever. :rolleyes:

He is the father of an 8 and 3 year old, which I think might tire him out a bit more than if he were younger, but he is pretty energetic.

It will be weird when he turns 55 and qualifies for AARP (they keep making the age younger and younger so they can widen their influence as a lobby). Anyway, only six years from now and my H. will be able to get the senior's discount at Denny's!! :sick:

I also wonder what will happen when he gets to be truly elderly before me. That isn't something I really want to think about.

Anyway, those are the main issues.

My wife is 15 years older than me and I have never connected with a woman like I do with her. I feel that I finally have a woman I relate to but her age is probably beside the point. I don't see anything wrong with it.

I don't think that is true but I feel that I am with my equal for the first time. With my ex who is my age sometimes I felt like I was taking care of a teenager but now I am with a woman and it feels like it. She says that I can teach her a few things myself so maybe a younger woman is not for me. I have experienced more than many people twice my age.

It seems to me that the root is "loyalty issue" and "secure issue". If a person is loyal in young age, then she is loyal in old age; if a person isn't loyal in young age, then probably she won't become loyal in old age?

when she/he cannot be loyal to her husband/wife, then probably won't be loyal to new ones, but maybe I am wrong:o

Trialbyfire
I think middle age women can only truly love younger men

Where did you pull that out of? It's like saying that it's a necessity for men in mid-life crisis to get themselves a fluffy side piece with no thought in her head beyond the colour of this season's nail polish...or myspace friend...

• Author
burning 4 revenge
Where did you pull that out of? ...
it seemed the most sensible thing to say at the moment

have you ever heard the song a daisy chain 4 satan

Trialbyfire
it seemed the most sensible thing to say at the moment

have you ever heard the song a daisy chain 4 satan

I see....

Confessions of a Knife.

Well, I think it depends ... A 30 yr old man and a 45 yr old woman are fine. But when the man becomes 45 and the woman becomes 60??? That would look more likely a quite different scenario for me, although in rare cases it may still go well. Fact is, women's appearance changes more rapidly than men's from 40's on. What do you all think?