"Working around" friends who aren't single

Pretty Fly

The vast majority of my friends are not single, and some of them are married. I am single. The thing I've noticed is that whenever I'm out with a couple of the guys and there's a choice between going to a bar that is likely to have a healthy male-female ratio, or going to a proper pub with space to sit down but is full of blokes, the majority decision is always to go and do the latter. Does anybody else have trouble with this?

This led to start thinking about speed dating. As I don't currently know anyone in a situation who'd like to come with me, would it seem "weird" if I went on my own? What would you girls think if you saw I was on my own at one of those things? Would it influence your first impressions of me, or is it expected? (I've never been speed dating before.)

who are u supposed to go there with..friends? Since you are there to speed date you're gonna be sitting there alone anyway. Why not try online dating also? I have the same problem with friends being attached so other then depending on other people to meet a someone I'm putting myself out there on my own.

i agree with rewind..if ur looking ur going to have to make it happen urself. online dating might be helpful, although be careful. people have a tendency to make themselves look better on a profile (speaking from experience i know this). u could always to a club by urself. guys usuallyu split up and go look for girls when they get to one of those anyway.

what other hobbies do u have? do u like to work out? the gym is a good place to meet people who also like to do that. i know its tough when all ur friends are attached. i'm a girl, but all my friends are engaged. i now have a bf but when i was single it was horrible because none of my friends ever wanted to go look for guys. best thing to do is get out there on ur own..there are ways of doing that.

Keep in mind that something like less than 5% of people have ever had a serious relationship with someone they met at a bar. Bars are great because you can approach many people in a short amount of time and practice your flirting, and alcohol can act as liquid courage. If you meet someone at a bar it is more likely to be because he/she was invited along with your group of friends, so really, you are meeting that person through friends, not at a bar. This is not to say you can't meet someone at a bar! Certainly, you can, but if that is where you are focusing your dating energies, you need to focus some of that energy elsewhere.

I personally like places in between the clubs and dive pubs. I want someplace quaint enough I can talk to my friends but also interact with others who walk past.

I often have this same problem (coupled friends) and as a result I feel lonely, not for being single, but because I do so many activities solo. Some times this works in my favor, other times my socialability is low.

This led to start thinking about speed dating.

Don't waste your time PF....the only thing "speedy" about this method is how quickly they take your money.