Bf got mad cause I changed my mind about paying his car ticket?

cutegirl

Yesterday my bf asked me to help him pay his car ticket. It was $150 and he could only pay $50 so he asked me for the hundred and he was begging me and I'm just weak like that, but he's adorable when he begs so I said yes.

And when I woke up this morning I was really irritated for some reason, I think it's because I'm just irritated inside so I said NO and then he got mad because I changed my mind. I think I changed my mind because I'm annoyed at always being asked to pay for stuff and he KNOWS it too, but he is broke right now so he has no other choice.

My bf has an older brother, so I told him to go ask his bro and he says he doesn't want to. He has a lot of pride and would NEVER ask his brother for ANY money, but he has no problem taking A LOT of my money at all. I think the reason for this is because most men secretly respect other men more.

My bf claims that it's cause he "trusts" me more and doesn't want to be dependent on his family.

Was it messed up for me to change my mind last minute?

Ok, about the ticket, the ticket is kinda my fault. What happened was that at our old apt we only have 2 parking spaces. I bought a new car and didn't get rid of my old one yet, so I was taking up 2 spaces. My also has 2 cars, and one of them got towed for parking somewhere, and I actually paid $400 something to get it out of the pound, but he got an ADDITIONAL ticket from the police dept which is different from what I paid the pound/towing place.

I just feel like he owes me way too much money already. When he was employed I was making literally 8-9x more than a month than he is, and I felt like he was always making me buy things for him. For example I "loaned" him over 1k for his new car, I was paying most of the rent and bills, I paid over 1k in electronics stuff for his "lab" (he wants to study electronics but at HOME), hundreds and hundreds of dollars in books. He begged me to buy him a $300 juicer which he only used twice. He also had like $500 of tickets from parking in residential areas during street sweeping which I had to pay for. This one I take responsibility for though cause it was my fault for taking up all our parking spaces.

So sometimes when he asks me for stuff he can be charming so I say "yes", but afterwards I get really mad inside and have a lot of resentment inside so I take it out on him by being bitchy or verbally abusive. And when I get bitchy and we fight, he uses that as an excuse to get me to buy more stuff from him. He'll say that I "extracted a lot of energy" from him so therefore I owe him something.

So that all together is the reason why I got annoyed and changed my mind about the ticket last night. My bf is going to have to sell some of his old video games or something to pay the ticket.

I just feel that it's messed up how he takes so much from me but can't even ask to borrow $100 from his brother. His brother has a great job and could easily give it to him, but my bf always has to look "cool" and "rich" in front of his bro, but he doesn't care less about he he looks to me. He has no shame taking stuff from me.

That's also a big part why I changed my mind at the last minute.

Another thing is that we're supposed to go to vegas together for Thanksgiving. I CHOSE to pay for everything though, so he has nothing to do with that. I already booked the flight and hotel and it was almost 1k. So my bf was like, why do you wanna spend so much on Vegas but not give me $100 for my ticket! He got mad and said now he doesn't want to go. I chose to spend money because it's for US to have fun TOGETHER, but his ticket is different, I just don't feel like it's my obligation to help him when he can just ask his brother.

Also my bf has no concept or savings and budgeting. He's 26 and NEVER lived on his own and never had to pay rent completely by himself. He never had to rely on himself. When I met him he was living at home with his mom. He did use to pay rent to his mom but it wasn't steady, only certain months, and then when something happened he would stop. I don't have a problem supporting my bf with necessities like rent and food I guess but not things he doesn't need. I feel like takes advantage of it and expects things that are not needed. I'm not talking about the ticket but other things in general.

Well if I were you I would have a BIG problem with him not even paying for food and rent. You're being used. Why do smart and attractive women do this? Why?

HE"S USING YOU!

He's a BOY and not a MAN! I can't believe he's 26 and has never lived on his own or been responsible for his own bills. He's a LOSER cutegirl. That's what MOST women would call a LOSER. Why do you want to be with this type of boy? Dont' you want a man?

If you were my daughter, I'd be SO disappointed that you chose a boy like this. Please get a backbone and throw the bum out!

He's a whiny, spoiled brat. Can't you do better? How can you make love to a man you don't even respect? Ugh!:sick:

Also my bf has no concept or savings and budgeting. He's 26 and NEVER lived on his own and never had to pay rent completely by himself. He never had to rely on himself.

He has never HAD to rely on himself or develope those skills because Mom has always been there.

When I met him he was living at home with his mom. He did use to pay rent to his mom but it wasn't steady, only certain months, and then when something happened he would stop.

Then he met YOU and went from Mom supporting him and taking care of him to YOU supporting him and taking care of him.

Settle in and take a good look around because as long as you are with him and supporting him in all the ways you describe, you can't expect much of a difference.

This is how your life is going to continue to be and you're not going to end up with a guy who is willing to jump in and take responsibility for a few things happily -- those guys see a value and want to be responsible for more.

• Author

Yes I know he's a loser but I still choose to stay with him.

My question wasn't if he's a loser or not (cause this I already know). I was asking if he has a point about being mad because I changed my mind at the last minute. Initially I agreed to pay the ticket and then I changed my mind a day after. So he's thinking that "if you're gonna say you're gonna do something then do it."

For a time he DID pay rent though, He just payed less than me because I make more. What's wrong with that? I don't NEED a man to pay for me, I can pay for myself. What is wrong with buying food for him. It's ok for guys to do it for girls, so why not the reverse? I don't need a man to buy anything for me. I am self sufficient and make more than enough to pay for myself and the guy too.

• Author
Well if I were you I would have a BIG problem with him not even paying for food and rent. You're being used. Why do smart and attractive women do this? Why?

HE"S USING YOU!

He's a BOY and not a MAN! I can't believe he's 26 and has never lived on his own or been responsible for his own bills. He's a LOSER cutegirl. That's what MOST women would call a LOSER. Why do you want to be with this type of boy? Dont' you want a man?

If you were my daughter, I'd be SO disappointed that you chose a boy like this. Please get a backbone and throw the bum out!

He's a whiny, spoiled brat. Can't you do better? How can you make love to a man you don't even respect? Ugh!:sick:

I consider myself independent, I don't need a man to make a lot of money to take care of me or buy me things. I don't know if I'd rather be with a "real man" to be honest. I'm more comfortable with this guy. It probably has to do with low self esteem or being phobic of being cheated on, but in any case, I feel more comfortable with this guy, and I DO really care about him.

I don't want to date a man who is super successful and makes a lot more than me. To be honest I would be uncomfortable with that. I prefer a guy who makes around the same as me or less.

I know the point is NOT how much someone makes, but how responsible they are and how self-sufficient they can be, but in my case I am emotionally attached to this person and can't get out. It's hard for me to meet new people and date. I just don't like to date at all.

It's not that I'm stuck with him because I HAVE to, but in some way I do feel emotionally dependent and I am EXTREMELY needy and what they call co-dependent. I realize this, but I chose to stay. I can't really articulate exactly WHY I chose to stay, I guess it's a combo of being very needy, emotionally dependent, low-self esteem, having no-life, not many friends??

It's probably a variety of things.

• Author

HE"S USING YOU!

Actually I might have given out some misinformation. My bf does pay for his own food. That's the reason why for a period of time he wasn't paying rent, he was spending 100 percent of his salary on FOOD, He was eating out like twice a day or something. I don't know why I mentioned food. Sometimes he does buy groceries.

As for rent it was on and off. For certain months he would pay some, and then not pay for a period of time.

But yea, he does buy his own food. That's the reason why he didn't pay rent.

I consider myself independent, I don't need a man to make a lot of money to take care of me or buy me things. I don't know if I'd rather be with a "real man" to be honest. I'm more comfortable with this guy. It probably has to do with low self esteem or being phobic of being cheated on, but in any case, I feel more comfortable with this guy, and I DO really care about him.

Taking care of you is not what this is about. You can take care of yourself, that is great. I certainly am not saying you have to be with a man who pays all your bills.

However, a person gets a very strong sense of self by having the ability to care for themselves. He doesn't have that and unfortunately that helps you to feel secure.

Pretty twisted right? So I'm sure you would like a healthier relationship and working, paying bills, etc. is part of that.

It's not that I'm stuck with him because I HAVE to, but in some way I do feel emotionally dependent and I am EXTREMELY needy and what they call co-dependent. I realize this, but I chose to stay. I can't really articulate exactly WHY I chose to stay, I guess it's a combo of being very needy, emotionally dependent, low-self esteem, having no-life, not many friends??

It's probably a variety of things.

It probably is a variety of things and they all didn't happen overnight. If you know you suffer from low self-esteem, you should be addressing that. That is a fix for you and will only help your relationship in the process.

If you feel you don't have many friends, try attacking that as well by doing things you're interested in and meeting new people in the process.

• Author
Taking care of you is not what this is about. You can take care of yourself, that is great. I certainly am not saying you have to be with a man who pays all your bills.

However, a person gets a very strong sense of self by having the ability to care for themselves. He doesn't have that and unfortunately that helps you to feel secure.

Pretty twisted right? So I'm sure you would like a healthier relationship and working, paying bills, etc. is part of that.

It probably is a variety of things and they all didn't happen overnight. If you know you suffer from low self-esteem, you should be addressing that. That is a fix for you and will only help your relationship in the process.

If you feel you don't have many friends, try attacking that as well by doing things you're interested in and meeting new people in the process.

Yes, in a twisted way I do like taking care of him, it gives me "false sense of power", but in a way I also get really irritated and annoyed at the same time, sort of like passive agressive behavior.

For some reason I never had friends growing up, even in elementary school already I was ALWAYS alone. I'm 28 now and already settled in my ways, I don't think I can change anymore because I was already anti-social and played with myself during recess when I was like 10 years old. I don't know if it was if it was because I was an only child or what but it's not likely to change at this stage.

I think that's also part of why I'm dependent on my bf because now I have someone to "play" with, someone to go to the movies with, eat with, watch tv with and stuff, before him I went through a period where I didn't date or had sex with anyone for 6-7 YEARS and it was involuntary. I was really lonely, so now that found someone I have to hold on for dear life or else I will die alone.

I also have a hard time trusting men, I think most men are cheaters, **** prostitutes on the side etc So when I find someone who doesn't cheat I will sacrifice a lot to keep them.

• Author

But also, I'm not really asking if this relationship is healthy or whatever, cause I already know the answer to that.

I just want to know about the part about me changing my mind about paying at the last time and flip-flopping. My bf claims that I made him lose time cause he could have used that time trying to get money to pay for his ticket.

Is it messed up to change your mind like that? To say that you'll help someone out and then change your mind the next day?

• Author

I don't date anyone in order to impress my mother and I don't need her approval.

I am not close to her anyways, and what she would think has no bearing at all on the decisions I make in life.

• Author

HE"S USING YOU!

I don't think he's completely using me, he is really devoted. For example, he spends most of his time withe me, he always puts me FIRST before his friends. For example before he goes out he will ask me if it's ok and if I feel like hanging with him for that night, he will stay home with me. He dedicates A LOT of time and energy towards me.

And he can deal with my clinginess, cause I'm EXTREMELY clingy. I don't think most men would be able to handle me.

So you know there are problems but there are those that you are willing to deal with.

Well, there are all kinds of relationships and some work on different levels so more power to you.

I guess it would be flip-flopping if you say you'll do something and then not.

From now on a rule of thumb would be seriously think about what you agree to and if you say you will, do it. But seriously think about what you are agreeing to and how you really feel because you said yes to this one and it was bothering you.

• Author
So you know there are problems but there are those that you are willing to deal with.

Well, there are all kinds of relationships and some work on different levels so more power to you.

I guess it would be flip-flopping if you say you'll do something and then not.

From now on a rule of thumb would be seriously think about what you agree to and if you say you will, do it. But seriously think about what you are agreeing to and how you really feel because you said yes to this one and it was bothering you.

This is true, I don't know what got into me when I said yes. Sometimes I think he's adorable and I can't control myself so I just say "yes". I know I have to learn to control myself and not make promises I can't keep because I get angry later on and take it out on him big time, which usually escalates into really bad fights. I just called him and he hung up on me when he heard my voice, so I am guessing he is not thrilled at me flip-flopping like that.

NO, it isn't! He should have made arrangements to pay for his own damn ticket.

And NO it's NOT OK if a WOMAN treats a man like this. Why would you think that?

Ok, I get that you don't give a rap about what your mother thinks. I get that. But I grew up like you. With no friends really. We changed schools too many times and I was too shy.

I spent many years being a doormat and letting men abuse me. But I finally, FINALLY got a backbone and started expecting more of myself. How can you let a man use you like this? Doesn't it bother you that the minute you close your purse strings, he'd be out of your life?

Try it and see if I'm wrong? Basically what we have here is a gigolo. Do you know what that is? It's a male prostitue. Is that really the best you can do?

You're older now. Your past, (which is SO much like my own in the ways that I've mentioned) doesn't have to define who you are today.

I'm married to a wonderful man today. We contribute TOGETHER. We've had dreams and are beginning to see them come true. And don't be deceived. FINANCIAL goals are very important.

We will be able to travel together for 6 months out of the year very soon. All because we've BOTH contributed to our nest egg. If either one of us had to do it alone, there's no way we could do what we're planning on doing as early as we're going to be able to do it. Do you want to be 70 before you can do some traveling? Do you want to be 80 before you own your house and can retire?

I'd love to know how old you are. But really it doesn't matter. I think your wasting your years. This is going nowhere but downhill.

You already said in a way that you resent his using you like he does. Do you really think it's going to get better? Maybe if you gave him an ultimatum. But my gut tells me that he'll be out the door if you do.

So if he's a gigolo, what does that make YOU?

Cutegirl,

I know that you're saying that you only want help for this particular issue, but no-one ever writes that much background about a situation unless there are underlying issues. That's why you're getting so much response that is not directed at the immediate squabble and is rather directed at the situation at large.

For the ticket situation, you are entitled to spend your money as you see fit. The cops will not be knocking down the door because it takes him a few more days to get the money together from someone else. Just because you had both spots doesn't mean anything, he should have found a legal place to park. Period.

For the situation at large (sry, couldn't resist), you need to look at who you are and who he is and think about whether this situation will hinder your self-esteem further. As for the "he'll never cheat" theory, guys who use women for money cheat too. Love is not about absolute guarantees, its about being with the right person. The person that makes you feel good about yourself when you're with them. Just think about this: how often do you think to yourself about when will be the next time he's going to ask for money? Do you feel secure and happy when you have these thoughts?

What happens when your means are outpaced by his financial needs? How secure will you be then?

One final thought: Pay attention to my signature line below...

• Author
NO, it isn't! He should have made arrangements to pay for his own damn ticket.

And NO it's NOT OK if a WOMAN treats a man like this. Why would you think that?

Ok, I get that you don't give a rap about what your mother thinks. I get that. But I grew up like you. With no friends really. We changed schools too many times and I was too shy.

I spent many years being a doormat and letting men abuse me. But I finally, FINALLY got a backbone and started expecting more of myself. How can you let a man use you like this? Doesn't it bother you that the minute you close your purse strings, he'd be out of your life?

Try it and see if I'm wrong? Basically what we have here is a gigolo. Do you know what that is? It's a male prostitue. Is that really the best you can do?

You're older now. Your past, (which is SO much like my own in the ways that I've mentioned) doesn't have to define who you are today.

I'm married to a wonderful man today. We contribute TOGETHER. We've had dreams and are beginning to see them come true. And don't be deceived. FINANCIAL goals are very important.

We will be able to travel together for 6 months out of the year very soon. All because we've BOTH contributed to our nest egg. If either one of us had to do it alone, there's no way we could do what we're planning on doing as early as we're going to be able to do it. Do you want to be 70 before you can do some traveling? Do you want to be 80 before you own your house and can retire?

I'd love to know how old you are. But really it doesn't matter. I think your wasting your years. This is going nowhere but downhill.

You already said in a way that you resent his using you like he does. Do you really think it's going to get better? Maybe if you gave him an ultimatum. But my gut tells me that he'll be out the door if you do.

So if he's a gigolo, what does that make YOU?

My bf would not leave me if I do not pay, he would just be angry, but not leave. What happens is that we would just get in a fight but get back together a few days.

I'm 28 right now. I can travel right now if I want, why would I have to wait till I'm 70? I can afford to pay for his ticket and hotel too, or if not I can travel by myself.

I can buy a house and travel regardless if he contributes or not. My travelling and home purchasing are not dependent on a second income. My income is good enough that I can do it on my own. Now to be honest, I probably wouldn't travel by myself, even though I can afford too, because for some reason that just seems scary and weird and lonely, but who knows, I might one day. I am just lucky right now that even though my bf drains money from me I'm still able to save at a good rate. And it's not because I'm smart or anything, I just happen to be very lucky to be in a lucrative field, I work in internet advertising and even when I don't work much the money keeps flowing in cause it's a self-sustaining business.

But seriously, I don't think he would leave me if I was broke. He'd probably be living at home then still and we'd be seeing each other. I think I can feel with my intuition if someone cares for me or not. I feel like he really does care for me, he just can't help being dysfunctional and he's not self-sufficient.

I already gave him an ultimatum and told him not to borrow money from me anymore and he said he was fine with that. He did ask me for help with the tix again cause it was an emergency and came up. If you don't pay it by a certain time they add more penalties to it. He hasn't left me yet, he's just mad, that's all.

His older bro is like 30 something and still lives at home. It seems a trend now for grown men to live at home cause that way they can save money and live rent free, especially in So Cal cause the rents are high.

• Author
Cutegirl,

I know that you're saying that you only want help for this particular issue, but no-one ever writes that much background about a situation unless there are underlying issues. That's why you're getting so much response that is not directed at the immediate squabble and is rather directed at the situation at large.

For the ticket situation, you are entitled to spend your money as you see fit. The cops will not be knocking down the door because it takes him a few more days to get the money together from someone else. Just because you had both spots doesn't mean anything, he should have found a legal place to park. Period.

For the situation at large (sry, couldn't resist), you need to look at who you are and who he is and think about whether this situation will hinder your self-esteem further. As for the "he'll never cheat" theory, guys who use women for money cheat too. Love is not about absolute guarantees, its about being with the right person. The person that makes you feel good about yourself when you're with them. Just think about this: how often do you think to yourself about when will be the next time he's going to ask for money? Do you feel secure and happy when you have these thoughts?

What happens when your means are outpaced by his financial needs? How secure will you be then?

One final thought: Pay attention to my signature line below...

Haha funny quote, perhaps true in my scenario too...

About the parking thing, he did find a legal spot to park. The ones were in a residential neighborhood and what happens is that they do street sweeping like twice a week or whatever, and he would have to wake up early to move his cars, and sometimes he would miss it or forget about it.

Again, I don't think he's really using me for money, he's just not capable of budgeting or self-restraint, it's a character flaw but not outright malicious intent of using or taking advantage of someone else. I'm sure that's not what he means, he is just not capable of taking care of himself right now.

He's unemployed and I'm supposed to help him do the internet advertising thing too (same thing that I do), so he can start making money. If he listens to what I say I can get him enough cash coming in a short amount of time, GUARANTEED. The thing is that we fight SO MUCH that I don't even get a chance to teach him. He bought his pc over yesterday and we fought so now he brought it back to his mom's house.

Once he gets going he can pay me back for what he owes me.. etc

burning 4 revenge

His older bro is like 30 something and still lives at home. It seems a trend now for grown men to live at home cause that way they can save money and live rent free, especially in So Cal cause the rents are high.

Does he have a liberal arts degree?

This is sad. Read your last paragraph. You've never cut the purse strings. That's why he hasn't left yet. You say if he does so what? He'll live at home and you'll still see each other.

Ok, so what's the problem then?

If this is SO not a problem with you then let's get back to the original question, ok? WHY did you change your mind? Sure it's "messed up". It's messed up because you know what we're saying is true. You already think it but don't want to own up to it.

I think you're not being honest with yourself. I give up here. You won't look within yourself. You DO have a problem with him. Maybe one day you will open up your eyes.

But for now, you're in total denial.

Good luck!

Oh and..P.S.

You think because a man is paying for ALL the food that he can't contribute to the rent? Oh...ok. Get your head out of the sand, girl!

Ok, about the ticket, the ticket is kinda my fault.

Because of this, you need to pay the ticket. As pissed off as you are, you said you would pay and then changed your mind...Pay the ticket. If he did that to you I'm sure you'd be angry too.

As long as he is doing other things around the house, meaning: Cleaning up, doing dishes, helping you do chores, inside the house and yardwork etc, then you paying is the trade off - For now.

With that being said, you are NOT his parent, so you taking the role of the one in control - You give him the money and he does what you want him to do is a really unhealthy pattern to get into, it's not good for your relationship because he'll resent you one day.

He's GOT to learn to be adult, be self efficent and be able to look after himself without having you bail him out so much.

• Author
This is sad. Read your last paragraph. You've never cut the purse strings. That's why he hasn't left yet. You say if he does so what? He'll live at home and you'll still see each other.

Ok, so what's the problem then?

If this is SO not a problem with you then let's get back to the original question, ok? WHY did you change your mind? Sure it's "messed up". It's messed up because you know what we're saying is true. You already think it but don't want to own up to it.

I think you're not being honest with yourself. I give up here. You won't look within yourself. You DO have a problem with him. Maybe one day you will open up your eyes.

But for now, you're in total denial.

Good luck!

Oh and..P.S.

You think because a man is paying for ALL the food that he can't contribute to the rent? Oh...ok. Get your head out of the sand, girl!

He was spending like 1k a month in food, I look at all his credit card and bank statements al lthe time. Sometimes he'll spend like $40 on a meal and he doesn't make much. He doesn't eat fast food or cheap food. I am not kidding. I am absolutely dead serious. Certain months he was spending MORE than what was coming in. Every day eating seafood and going to Jamba Juice, he was spending ALL of it on food and things for himself (other than food) like books that he wanted, etc. His excuse is that he has a digestion problem and low quality food makes him sick.

I have cut the purse strings. I told him I'm not gonna pay for that last ticket. I know he'll still come back in a few days after he calmed down.

• Author
Does he have a liberal arts degree?

No, the older brother is network admin. He has a degree in computer science I think, or computer networking, I'm not sure exactly what but I know it's computer related.

The ticket isn't the issue here. And you did say part of it was your fault, so pay atleast HALF of the ticket.

The main issue here is, he's TOO dependant on you, and he needs to take repsonsibility for himself. He's acting like a "boy" not an adult male.

How long have you two been together? And how long has he been living with you?

• Author
Because of this, you need to pay the ticket. As pissed off as you are, you said you would pay and then changed your mind...Pay the ticket. If he did that to you I'm sure you'd be angry too.

As long as he is doing other things around the house, meaning: Cleaning up, doing dishes, helping you do chores, inside the house and yardwork etc, then you paying is the trade off - For now.

With that being said, you are NOT his parent, so you taking the role of the one in control - You give him the money and he does what you want him to do is a really unhealthy pattern to get into, it's not good for your relationship because he'll resent you one day.

He's GOT to learn to be adult, be self efficent and be able to look after himself without having you bail him out so much.

Ok to be honest, neither of us do housework. I don't do anything either.

I don't vacuum or clean or cook. So it's not like I clean up after him. My bf does take out the trash though so that's a good thing . We're both lazy so I hired a cleaning service to come here once every two weeks to clean. They even wash our dishes for us. :laugh:

About how long we've been living together. It's been over 2 years now.

The ticket was ALL my fault I think cause I was taking up both spots. We're supposed to have one each but I was using both.

The ticket was ALL my fault I think cause I was taking up both spots. We're supposed to have one each but I was using both.

Then pay the ticket. It's not fair for him to pay it, even if it was his car that got the ticket. Plain and simple.

You do know how much $$ you could save if you both learned to cook, and bought stuff so you wouldn't have to order out or go out all the time for dinner/lunch etc...If he has stomach problems there are great receipes to try and help his digestive system be better.