Why is he acting strange the day after the nigt before?

I've been getting together with a guy who lives a few hours away from me, and the only times we've ever seen each other is when we go out with our mutual friends, who by the way are all guys. He told me he's always likes me, but then he's acting really funny.

A couple of nights ago we saw each other again and we ended up sleeping in the same bed, which is the third time it happened, we've never had actual sex and he's never pressurized me to although we did do other things, and i took as this as him really liking me and wanting to wait.

The next day though he was ignoring me and acting all cool, is this because his friends were there? His friends tell me that he really really likes me and that he's funny around girls he really likes, and that i should just tell him how i feel, but I'm pretty sure he already knows.

We all went out again the next day and he was being really quiet which isn't normal with him. I asked him if he was pissed off with me and he said no, I'm just feeling ill.

Then he had to catch the last train home and he was being quite cold, and just said bye and kissed me on the cheek.. is this because his friends were around or what? Should i call his to ask him what the deal is cos i can't stop thinking about it and i want him to know how i feel.