Bragging

Kittiecat

Anyone have friends that brag incessantly about anything and everything? I have a good friend who does this and it drives me crazy! I don't know, it just sort of gets old listening to her give detailed lists of who thinks she is hot, who is always flirting with her, etc. I know that people who brag have their own issues and are trying to compensate, but it just gets so annoying sometimes. What do you think?

I believe when people behave that way it is because they have a low self-esteem. They use the bragging to , exactly as you said, to compensate. I'd rather avoid people of this type, they do nothing but drain your energy.

Just my 2 cents.

TeaCooler
It's called conceded. I know many people that do it and there isn't really anything you can do about it.

conceited.

I admit that I like to brag sometimes. It is not conceit but pride for succeeding in the face of great odds. I admit I am proud of myself.

Art_Critic

I have a sister in law that does it.. it drives my whole family up the wall..

We have to here about her Porsche, million dollar home or horses or something along that line or even how much her shoes cost..

Mind you everyone in my family is well off and are all about equals in wealth but she for some reason has to tell us all about it.

IGNORANT PEOPLE

I have a friend that brags about stuff. I keep him at a distance, because I get sick of hearing about all his accomplishments. I'm happy for him, but it gets old. In the process of bragging, he also minimizes things I do, telling me how I could have done it better or he once did it better. I don't talk about myself much to him.

Good friend.

I have a sister in law that does it.. it drives my whole family up the wall..

We have to here about her Porsche, million dollar home or horses or something along that line or even how much her shoes cost..

Mind you everyone in my family is well off and are all about equals in wealth but she for some reason has to tell us all about it.

IGNORANT PEOPLE

Stop bragging about how well off your family is, Art!:lmao:

Stop bragging about how well off your family is, Art!:lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

The worst is the my child braggers...... My kid is so smart they can pick their nose and skip! :rolleyes:

Keep in mind some people that may talk about their cabins in the woods could be braggers too...... It is all how you look at it. If you are not jealous about that cabin they own in the woods it is just plain conversation to you then..... or the trip to europe ect ect ect.

perspective I suppose.......... :o

alphamale

hey, sometimes one must toot their own horn cause others certainly won't do it for them...

i think a limited amount of bragging is OK as long as its backed up with substance and is not a lie.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

The worst is the my child braggers...... My kid is so smart they can pick their nose and skip! :rolleyes:

Keep in mind some people that may talk about their cabins in the woods could be braggers too...... It is all how you look at it. If you are not jealous about that cabin they own in the woods it is just plain conversation to you then..... or the trip to europe ect ect ect.

perspective I suppose.......... :o

That's so true, A! Good point.

Oh and by the way, my child really CAN pick his nose while skipping!:lmao:

So what about people who talk about having their own airplane and flying to NY for the weekend? Would that be bragging?:laugh:

This is a good topic though. When is it just conversation and when is it bragging? I think if a person is ALL about what they have, do or have done and little else, we can safely say it's bragging. But if that's not the prevailing theme with a person then I'd say it's just something brought up in conversation. I mean people shouldn't have to hide aspects of their lives for fear that it will come across as bragging.

So what about people who talk about having their own airplane and flying to NY for the weekend? Would that be bragging?:laugh:

Not in my view my father had his own until the big heart attack. I think it may just be a topic of conversation. H has relatives that fly in for the Nascar Gala as well. To us no big dealio but I guess could be bragging to others.

Got a friend talking about and buying one of dem dar ferrari cars..... to me no big deal..... its used :lmao: Now if you start talking about how hot your kia is ..... well that is bragging without substance :D Just kiddin'

But I do know a guy that brags about his carpentry work over and over and over again..... hummmmm..... wonder why he got demoted in the company then? :lmao:

Anyone have friends that brag incessantly about anything and everything? I have a good friend who does this and it drives me crazy! I don't know, it just sort of gets old listening to her give detailed lists of who thinks she is hot, who is always flirting with her, etc. I know that people who brag have their own issues and are trying to compensate, but it just gets so annoying sometimes. What do you think?

If she's bragging about who thinks she's hot and who's flirting with her, she's obviously insecure. She doesn't think she's hot enough so she wants people to know that guys find her desirable. I wouldn't be surprised if she makes up some of the stories.

blind_otter

I only usually have a problem with people bragging when I am jealous of them. For some reason. Otherwise I don't really care. Isn't that weird?

I only usually have a problem with people bragging when I am jealous of them. For some reason. Otherwise I don't really care. Isn't that weird?

Well that is why it bothers people.......Big Ole Green Eyed Monster.

* unless that is the only thing the "talker" can talk about then it just is stale conversation. Shut up about your new shoes already...... they are just shoes! :lmao:

I hate people that brag about what they have all the the time . I also hate when they brag how much it cost !!!:mad:

I find bragging to be pathetic. Maybe it is because I am shallow, but I really don't care that much about what other people are doing or what they have accomplished. What matters to me is if you are fun to hang out with, good sense of humor, and can say interesting things about music or movies or whatever.

I have a friend who moved here from Detroit. All he ever talks about is Detroit, as if anyone out here cares about Detroit. No matter what the subject, he'll somehow bring up Detroit and how whatever is going on here now is nothing compared to how it was in Detroit. It drives everyone crazy, and we even tease him about it, but he doesn't stop. It is almost like it is a neurosis or something.

What's even worse, he has never been to the SF Bay Area (which is way bigger than Detroit) and yet comments all the time about how it is nothing like Detroit, nowhere near as hip as Detroit, blah blah blah. Not that I care how hip SF is, but at least visit someplace before you comment on it. Sheesh.

blind_otter

I hate those long newsletter spams to 500 people telling them about your life.

I figure, if they care enough to want to 4 page report on your new roommate, they probably deserve a personal email.

I find bragging to be pathetic. Maybe it is because I am shallow, but I really don't care that much about what other people are doing or what they have accomplished. What matters to me is if you are fun to hang out with, good sense of humor, and can say interesting things about music or movies or whatever.

I have a friend who moved here from Detroit. All he ever talks about is Detroit, as if anyone out here cares about Detroit. No matter what the subject, he'll somehow bring up Detroit and how whatever is going on here now is nothing compared to how it was in Detroit. It drives everyone crazy, and we even tease him about it, but he doesn't stop. It is almost like it is a neurosis or something.

What's even worse, he has never been to the SF Bay Area (which is way bigger than Detroit) and yet comments all the time about how it is nothing like Detroit, nowhere near as hip as Detroit, blah blah blah. Not that I care how hip SF is, but at least visit someplace before you comment on it. Sheesh.

Detroit is a big dump with one of the biggest crime rates in the nation. I am sure SF is much better.

I hate people that brag about what they have all the the time . I also hate when they brag how much it cost !!!:mad:

I agree with this!

I love to have a conversation with a new acquantence (sp?) but tend to keep things simple when it is a stranger. Safe conversations with someone new might me asking them where they live or where they enjoy going on vacation, if they have children or grandchildren....

Only after I have known someone a while will I ask them more personal things... and my dearest friends and family tend to discuss EVERYTHING!

Even if someone talks of where they are going for vacation it seems the way they deliver the info could be misconstrued as bragging instead of a light interaction.

My brothers are very accomplished - but the way they deliver any info given would be seen as very humble and almost bordering on not wanting to give out the info for fear of making someone else feel less adequate. They also tend to turn the conversation right back to the other person out of general interest for them to participate as well.....

Detroit is a big dump with one of the biggest crime rates in the nation. I am sure SF is much better.

People are so wrong about Detroit it is funny. San Francisco is overrated - - too many pretentious hipster know it alls.

OMG I am Moai's bragging friend. Oops I've been to SF so it's not me.

Actually I'm not much of a bragger. I don't like to talk about myself. I am my friends' biggest cheerleader, however, incredibly supportive when they mention something good happening to them. And strangely enough they hardly ever brag or boast to me. I guess it's pointless because it wouldn't get a rise out of me - just a pat on the back. There must be a correlation between bragging and jealousy.

TeaCooler

yeah, i think what is seen as "bragging" is always in the tone of the conversation, and the disposition of the person on the receiving end.

my fiance has a cousin who has recently gotten married. both of us (the females) go to college.

she goes to a smaller school with a decent reputation, gets decent grades, and is expected to graduate soon and go to work.

i go to a little bit bigger of a school with a good reputation, have a 4.0 gpa(hopefully it remains that way after this semester!) and am in the honors program. i'll go on to law school or grad school.

big deal, whoooopeeee for both of us, right? that's how i feel about it. but if someone asks me about my school, or the honors program, or grades, or what i plan on doing afterward, she gets all bitter and starts talking about how her classes must be harder than mine and that's why her grades are lower.

i don't care about her grades. and it's not like i'm walking around with an "i'm smarter than you" t-shirt on. grades are grades and everyone gets different ones.

i don't know. i guess to her it seems like i'm bragging, but to me, school is my life right now, and that's what people ask me about, so that's what i talk about.

i didn't care one bit when the conversation was all about her at-the-time wedding-planning, even though i had just started planning mine when she was in the final stages of hers. i never talked about my plans when hers were involved at all.

i have a nice car. if someone asks me what my car is and i answer, is it bragging because it happens to be nice? is that my fault that i have it? or am i a braggart only if i hop into my nice car with my perfect report card and run you over with all of my shiny, gleaming riches in the back?

blah.

People are so wrong about Detroit it is funny. San Francisco is overrated - - too many pretentious hipster know it alls.

OMG I am Moai's bragging friend. Oops I've been to SF so it's not me.

Actually I'm not much of a bragger. I don't like to talk about myself. I am my friends' biggest cheerleader, however, incredibly supportive when they mention something good happening to them. And strangely enough they hardly ever brag or boast to me. I guess it's pointless because it wouldn't get a rise out of me - just a pat on the back. There must be a correlation between bragging and jealousy.

Trust me there is something seriously wrong with a city that produces Ted Nugent, Eminem, Kid Rock and Insane Clown Posse.

Trust me there is something seriously wrong with a city that produces Ted Nugent, Eminem, Kid Rock and Insane Clown Posse.

Ok, I'll give you Nugent but Eminem, Kid Rock and Insane Clown Posse are not from the city; they're from the suburbs. Detroit is cool. I'm not trying to defend the freakin' suburbs - some major nut jobs out there.

Stevie Wonder is from the city and cancels out "The Motor City Madman"

It is true that SF has way too many hipster douchebags, but it is still pretty and has some really fun bars. Of course, I don't think it is all that cool or I'd move there. I mainly go to see shows, as most bands I like don't come to where I live.

Actually, when he insults SF it is as if to say it isn't REALLY urban, only Detroit is urban. SF is really a bunch of hicks who don't really know what a city is all about. He bags on NYC a lot, also. Nothing cool has ever come from there, and it isn't all that badass or urban or have any good clubs or whatever. He has never been there, either (I have and I love it).

Now that I think about it, the even worse kind of braggart is the one hwo has to one-up everything. Like someone will ask me how my weekend was, and I will realte a funny instance or whatever and then here comes the "oh, once when I was out blah blah blah" as if it is funnier and cooler and my weekend was lame compared to whatever happened to him however long ago. I hate it. It's funny that these guys are always the ones who try to invite themselves along with me and my friends when we have plans to do something.