Does anyone else have a best friend they couldn't live without?

cal gal

I feel very fortunate in life to have several friends who are amazing.

My very best friend is the gal I could never live without.

She is always thinking of the same thought at the same time and has my very odd sense of humor as well. She just GETS me all the way around!

It is nice to have such a close friendship with someone who practically says the same thing at the same time - all the time. When it happens three or four times within an hour her husband will say that we are downright scary when it comes to being on the same wavelength.

Anyone else fortunate to have such a great buddy, and why do consider it a great friendship?

umm, no. i don't.

i have some great buddies, but no-one i couldn't live without.

i used to have a friend a bit like the one you described with the whole wavelength thing but i've that found that nothing lasts for ever. he changed. or i did. anyway, the friendship ended. :(

I've had very few 'best friends' like the one you describe, OP. My first really truly bestest friend was from kindergarten to fifth grade. Then her family moved away. I was heartbroken!

I was an odd kid...and so was she. We both preferred books to just about anything else and we'd spend hours and hours reading together. She also loved to write stories, as did I. She had a wild imagination and could create these incredible fantasy worlds....we spent hours outside building 'fairyland' out of mud and moss and flowers.

She also insisted that we train ourselves to meet up in our dreams so we could fly together.

Now that's an imaginative kid!!!!

I really didn't have a 'best friend' again until adulthood (I had a friend in high school who claimed we were 'best friends' but she was a poor substitute for my childhood buddy....she just liked to chaw my ear off with all her problems!)

I met my present-day best friend while tending bar and attending grad school. She was waitressing and also going to grad school. We hit it off right away.

She is a quirky person.....very bright and creative. She's also impulsive, funny as hell and one of the most empathetic people on the planet. We can talk for hours and hours and hours....and just laugh at the dumbest stuff.

We've been best friends for 12 years now and I feel so blessed to have her in my life.

We met 14 years ago this month at work and our friendship evoled slowly over the course of five years. I grew to respect, admire and trust her. She was easy to talk with and we had some important things in common. I simply can't imagine not having her in my life now and would be devastated if I lost her and her friendship.

Did I mention that I married her nine years ago? She's still my best friend and there's nothing we can't talk about. I value her because she brings out the best in me and cherish her because she enhances my life. Most of all, I can be me around her, good, bad or indifferent and count on her to center and ground me if I go off on a tangent.

jen_jen_heartbroken

Probably my girlfriend from high school. We've been friends for 17 years. She saw me through my divorce...and even though she was high school friends with him, she stuck by me even when he forced her to choose sides (which I never did). And I helped her through her divorce. And we were pregnant at the same time. I miscarried my son, but got to see her realize the joy of being of a mother, and her daughter is like a niece to me. And she's always been the voice of reason for me....kicking me in the ass when I needed it and always listened when I needed a shoulder to cry on.

• Author

Cur and Jen,

I loved both of your posts for a different perspective.

So many times over the years - my best friends' husband will call and say

"she is so upset and I don't know how to make this better - can you be here in five minutes to help clear her head and cheer her up?"

I would NEVER think about not being there. I would lay down my life for her and I know she would do the same for me.

She understands right now I am a bit depressed so she knocked on my door last Friday evening, said "get dressed up a bit so we can go get something to eat!"

We had soooo much fun, more so than we have had in a year! We tried to have sushi but it was too busy - then we ended up at this funky little cafe in our small town that has a wonderful menu - like a fancy french restaurant would, but not the swanky part of a frech bistro, just FUN atmosphere. The food, coversation, humor and just enjoy each others company was so great.

I love my best friend for sooo many reasons!

I actually don't have a best friend either, although I have an oldest friend. He and I have lived together, hated each other, done insane things together, and shared some very private feelings we would probably not share with many others. I had lunch with him the other day and was happy to spend some time with him. But I won't be seeing him much for years very soon I think. I don't know, but I do fine making new friends wherever I have lived. I've found that some of the new ones can be very, very close. So I am just as happy with a new friend if we click as the older ones.

Literally. I've only known her for a couple of years but she has always been there for me and - without hyperbole - I might not be here now if it wasn't for her.

My best friend in the whole world is my cock and I coudn't live with out him! :bunny:

I'm sure he has a lot to say to you. Let me guess, you can finish each others sentences?

i did have one until about a year ago.

such is life. it's funny that i thought this girl and myself were one entity at one point, and now i know i am better off without her in my life.

now my fiance is my best friend, and i'm okay with that. :D

My hubby is my bestfriend because he is #1 in my life.

My other bestfriend is a girl I've known for 20 years and we're like sisters. I would be crushed if she wasn't in my life.

i did have one until about a year ago.

such is life. it's funny that i thought this girl and myself were one entity at one point, and now i know i am better off without her in my life.

now my fiance is my best friend, and i'm okay with that. :D

I hope you don't live in Florida. I can only imagine my exbest friend saying that about me. I've apologized to her umpteen billion times and then cut ties after she wouldn't accept my apologies. What was I supposed to eat s*** and send her a picture?

Anyways, I have no friends. Except for the finger puppets I talk to.

I have 3 best friends...

I known 2 of them all my life...

Went to high school the the other one... I couldn't imagine not having them in my life... Talk about how boring it would be... I would totally be a differnet person... Probably not someone I would like to be.

I have several friends I call close but a few that I have frequent contact with.

I have but one who I would call my best friend. We balance each other. She jumps my shyt when I need it and I bring it to reality and slow her down when she needs someone to jump in front and say 'STOP"....

We each carry the strength we lack in one another. Our friendship has much respect and has withstood many many challenges in life. We have lives in fear and paranoia, hard times and fun times, we have cried together and sheltered one another. Even men have tried to rip our friendship apart.

It has withstood almost 9 years. She is my sister that I never had.....

I love ya girlfriend...... REBEL

Several very close friends, but one true best friend. A sister if you will!

My best mate and I drew closer through the loss of a loved one, and have stuck by each others sides every since. We've never argued. We've always been there and supported each other every step of the way for the last 8 years. We'd lay down our lives for each other, be there in a second for each other. Even though she's now a 1.5 hour flight away, we still see each other regularly and always will.

We've laughed together, cried together. We've held each others hand through the darkest moments of our lives and come through it all stronger than ever.

Our bond is as strong, and stronger than some, of that with our family. We are honestly lucky. True soul friends! :love: