foreign people and friends

tyler2005

how are foreign people supposed to make friends? for example just look at the middle esatern people, almost no one likes them. They can only make friends with other middle eastern people and very little Americans. I also don't like how foreign people are treated in school. Most Americans think that every other country in the world is third world country, and many of them ask dumb questions like do you guys have cars, tvs and etc... So my real question is how to overcome all those problems and make some American friends, and possible get a girlfriend and a date for senior prom.

allaboutchoices

HAHA! If you go into it thinking people won't like you because of something, than you are setting your self up for the exact thing. Your attitude will reflect those things.

My experience:

I am a foreigner my self. Yeah, I'm a girl and it probably does make things easier.

I never think of my self as a foreigner, I'm just another human being just like the people around me.

The vast majority of my friends are Americans. I do not have any friends from my country.

My friends have friends who are from India and adore them as they are very nice, polite and reliable.

Just throw your self outthere, talk to people, meet people and be friendly. The reason they don't talk to you is not that of you being a foreigner. Whatever it is, focus on it and change it.

As for the GF and prom. Just ask?

If anything, being a foreigner has helped me. It's a good converstion starter (oh, you have an accent, where are you from, what is it like over there, ....), and also it offers people to see things from a different perspective - your cultural perspective.

allaboutchoices
hmm, are you in high school?

when i first got to US i thought that people will like me, but as time passed

my opinion changed.

Yes, I'm in school. Try to hang out with different people? Why exactly is it that they don't like you?

• Author

well some of the kids like to make dumb comments all the time, and when I argue with someone they usually finish off with "oh you are foreign, what do you know"

it's like everyone is afraid to hang out with me because i am foreign and that will ruin their reputation. Because everyone thinks that foreign people are weird, nerds, and play chess. While i can play any sport, and i am good at it.

allaboutchoices

Are you here on one year exchange program, or permanently. If for good, how much longer do you have before you finish HS?

Some kids are plain dumb. Their statements just show how closed-minded they are. They don't have a clue about your culture or any other. I wouldn't hang otu with them. Yeah, it sux, but in college you will find that things are very different.

• Author

i am here permanently, and i am a senior right now. i guess i'll have to wait for college but my 4 year's in high school have been the worst ones in my life.

i am here permanently, and i am a senior right now. i guess i'll have to wait for college but my 4 year's in high school have been the worst ones in my life.

Try Canada. Or maybe Europe, though you might wish to avoide France and Germany. Someplace where people have learned to be civilized to other people.

RecordProducer
Most Americans think that every other country in the world is third world country
Isn't it? :laugh: (in comparison to the US)

Just like you think low of third world countries, they think low of any second-world country.

and many of them ask dumb questions like do you guys have cars, tvs and etc...
I can imagine how this can irritate you, but it's their ignorance and they are probably ashamed of it also. As long as they give you a chance to tell them about your country, it's good.

Many foreigners have fit in the States so perhaps all you need to do is change the city or state later. Also, it takes years to adapt and assimilate.

Try Canada. Or maybe Europe, though you might wish to avoide France and Germany. Someplace where people have learned to be civilized to other people.

I don't know about Germany, but only when living in Paris you can see and feel complete respect, culture and good manners. France is the most civilized country in the world!
only when living in Paris you can see and feel complete respect, culture and good manners. France is the most civilized country in the world!

I also like Paris. The croissants are in a class of their own. You just don't seem to get quite that level of softness, density and general butteriness anywhere else. Also, I'm just wrapped up in the way French men kiss one's cheek so perfectly and softly... then follow it up with an intense stare from deliciously hard black eyes.

You're lucky to live there.

RecordProducer
I'm just wrapped up in the way French men kiss one's cheek so perfectly and softly...
Actually they kiss you twice (in both cheeks) when they meet you for the first time, and four times if they are your friends.

You're lucky to live there.
I don't live in Paris now, but I used to for a while.

The French might be cold (that doesn't suit my nature), but are definitely civilized and polite.

So are the Germans. They can be mean, but I find it very funny. I have never had a problem with the Germans (and I have met MANY in my life) except for right after the wall came down and Eastern Germany cut loose...hell cut loose for a while.

...but my 4 year's in high school have been the worst ones in my life.

You don't have to be a foreigner to feel this way about high school.

hey dude,

the United States is a country of Immigrants! many metropolitan cities like New York, Chicago, LA are melting pots for different cultures. i am not American, i am from India but feel so comfortable in this country. of course we look different from the Americans - i have brown skin, black eyes, and black hair. and then there r other differences like culture, habits, manners, etc.. but u shud not allow those differences to stop u from reaching out to people. in fact u can even go and talk with them about how different the cultures and habits are. good way to start a conversation!

many of them ask dumb questions like do you guys have cars, tvs and etc.

i think Americans are great in a lot of ways. they may not know a lot about other countries b'cos the USA is the world's only super-power right now, after the collapse of the Soviet Union. and when u live in such a rich and powerful country u think that's the entire world! so u can't blame the Americans for that. their media is heavily skewed too... just use this as an opportunity to talk with them and educate them about your culture and ways of living. more than cars, tvs, etc Americans are extremely surprised about arranged marriages 'cos in this country mostly people meet, date, fall in love, and get married. so u can also discuss about that...

don't just sit there waiting for them to come to u and talk. just reach out, go for it! that's the American way!

Good Luck!

Actually they kiss you twice (in both cheeks) when they meet you for the first time, and four times if they are your friends.

I don't live in Paris now, but I used to for a while.

It's because of you lot that people in London get confused about how often they should kiss. Once is fine, but kissing on the other cheek will sometimes cause a moment's "Oh! I wasn't expecting that!" flustered but not displeased awkwardness. Four times over here, may well result in some embarrassed giggling, a bit of opportunistic groping (if it was a guy you were kissing) or the emergency services being called :p

He's a highschool kid! How is he supposed to just change the country and move away?

I don't know about Germany, but only when living in Paris you can see and feel complete respect, culture and good manners.

That's why they're having the recent riots in the Parisian suburbs.

France is the most civilized country in the world!

Yeah, they cover up their sweat with perfumes. :laugh: (May my French friends forgive me. :laugh:)

Or maybe Europe, though you might wish to avoide France and Germany. Someplace where people have learned to be civilized to other people.

:D:lmao::laugh::lmao:

Nice one Outcast. It has to be said, the French and German's are pretty un-civilized!!! :laugh: *Joke*

how are foreign people supposed to make friends? for example just look at the middle esatern people, almost no one likes them. They can only make friends with other middle eastern people and very little Americans. I also don't like how foreign people are treated in school. Most Americans think that every other country in the world is third world country, and many of them ask dumb questions like do you guys have cars, tvs and etc... So my real question is how to overcome all those problems and make some American friends, and possible get a girlfriend and a date for senior prom.

Well, I guess, American highschools offer a lot of extracurricular activities, why don't you join a club where you will meet people who share your hobbies? It's always easier to connect with people when you have something common with them.

You can try to develop a more productive attitude by showing to them how your culture really is or you can tell yourself they're really dumb and not worth your time (I tend to go for the latter, but it doesn't really make you a lot of friends and I'd also say I'm way too intolerant and impatient sometimes). Your choice.

• Author

hmmm, i guess. i joined the soccer and tennis team but i am still treated like crap so i decided to quit soccer, and i am doing tennis right now. it's not really that people make fun of me, they just ignore me or they don't want to hang out with me.

Originally Posted by Outcast

Where the **** did this come from? The french and germans are some of the most civilised, friendly, well mannered, and I might add intelligent and more open minded people in the world (and no I'm not from either country).

• Author

Germans civilized? lololol

they are nice people til their bad side comes out (WWI and II)

my friend told me this: "huh? war? man sign us up! war is like a hobby to german people."

tyler2005 Germans civilized? lololol

they are nice people til their bad side comes out (WWI and II)

my friend told me this: "huh? war? man sign us up! war is like a hobby to german people."

Is your name cleetus by any chance?

I am Australian, but lived in the states for nearly 4 years, during jnr and high school. I still cant believe some of the instances that happened. My PE teacher didnt know how to play cricket. My friends didnt know what marmalade was.

There are cultural differences, and i have found most cultures to be arrogant and ignorant of others. The world is getting muich smaller, it is so easy to travel now, so we must all take the time to be interested and ignorant or not interested and ignorant. of course the first option is preferable. The more you learn about differences and similarities, it will help you relate to more and more people and take pride in your own ancestry and culture identity.