Guest Etiquette

Shining One

Shining One

I'll be travelling to a friend's wedding next month. They are leaving for their honeymoon the day after the wedding and I'll be staying alone in their house for a few days before I fly home. It's been a long time since I've been a guest in someone else's home without them present. Other than the following, is there anything else I should be doing?

• Thoroughly clean up after myself.
  • Replenish any consumables used.
  • Wash her car and fill up the tank.
  • Ensure the house is secure when I leave.
  • Don't bang any of the bridesmaids in her house. (The only one she actually specified)

I'm staying in their house because my friend (the bride) bought the groom a big TV for his man cave in the basement. It's a surprise and I'm there to receive it and install it.

I'm confused. You can bang any bridesmaid in the house except for a specific one?

How about if you use the garage to do the deed?

• Author
Shining One
I'm confused. You can bang any bridesmaid in the house except for a specific one?
The bride told me I'm not allowed to bang any of her bridesmaids in her (the bride's) house.

Ok I would interpret that to not include the garage, yard, etc.

:cool:

I think you've got it.

If you're there to sort out the TV, then you're doing them a favour rather than staying as a guest. When we've had friends as dog sitters, I figure that letting them use my petrol, eat my food etc is a gift for them doing the favour.

Everything you are suggesting is a beautiful courtesy, but I don't think that it's expected.

todreaminblue

strip the bed ...wash the sheets ...put them folded on the end of the bed you slept on....

leave a thank you card on the table.....its not etiquette to do so ...but to me its a lit bit of lovely to leave a thank you card with personal thanks on the inside..........deb

• Like 1
major_merrick

Do what todreaminblue said. And take the bridesmaid(s) to a hotel or somewhere else. But first, be sure that the reason your friend is making that requirement ISN'T because she's the one banging the bridesmaids. You never know... Girls will be girls....:p

CautiouslyOptimistic
leave some fresh flowers when you leave

But not if they are on a two week honeymoon. :cool:

• Author
Shining One
If you're there to sort out the TV, then you're doing them a favour rather than staying as a guest. When we've had friends as dog sitters, I figure that letting them use my petrol, eat my food etc is a gift for them doing the favour.

Everything you are suggesting is a beautiful courtesy, but I don't think that it's expected.

It's true, she doesn't expect anything. The TV installation is my gift. I offered to do it for free, she insisted on paying, so the gift was our compromise. I still want to be a good guest though.
  • Author
Shining One
strip the bed ...wash the sheets ...put them folded on the end of the bed you slept on....
I was planning on washing the sheets and remaking the bed. Is it better to leave them folded?
  • Author
Shining One
leave some fresh flowers when you leave
But not if they are on a two week honeymoon. :cool:
It's almost three weeks actually, so no fresh flowers.
  • Author
Shining One
And take the bridesmaid(s) to a hotel or somewhere else. But first, be sure that the reason your friend is making that requirement ISN'T because she's the one banging the bridesmaids.
This is a standard requirement (in my experience) from female hosts. For some reason, women tend to not like other people hooking up in their house. She specified it because she knows my tendency to hook up with women at weddings. At least one of my previous wedding hookups will be attending.

It sounds like you will make a lovely guest. If you do remake the bed, tell her that in the thank you note. Leaving them folded is the sign that they have been washed. She won't know they were washed unless you tell her if you remake the bed.

• Like 1
major_merrick
This is a standard requirement (in my experience) from female hosts. For some reason, women tend to not like other people hooking up in their house. She specified it because she knows my tendency to hook up with women at weddings. At least one of my previous wedding hookups will be attending.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. If I wasn't in a house with kids, I wouldn't care if friends hooked up at my place as long as they didn't leave puddles of bodily fluids everywhere :laugh: