Friendships Running Their Course

Have you ever been friends with someone of the same sex and felt that the friendship has run its course and is past its expiration date?

Friendships like relationships can involve people who move in the same social circles.

How do you navigate that? What do you do when groups of friends and individuals overlap or share common friends? It seems complicated. It’s as though once the friendship has expired, one needs to throw the baby with the proverbial bath water.

CautiouslyOptimistic

Honestly, the only time I've encountered this was due to divorce. I'm trying to think of friends I've "lost" that didn't involve divorce or geographical distance....

Happy Lemming

Yes, I had one guy friend where the friendship expired. Again, it had just run its course.

I don't think either one of us wanted to continue to put in the effort to keep the friendship going. Life had just kind of taken us in different directions.

I ended a close friendship last year because I felt she had betrayed me and she refused to take any responsibility for what she had done.

We do share multiple mutual acquaintances and it occasionally presents some awkwardness if we run into each other at social gatherings, especially when others don't realize we are no longer friends and were used to seeing us hanging out together since we are both single women.

But it's no more awkward than seeing my ex romantic partner out with his new woman, and that happens more frequently!

Like has its awkward moments for sure. You learn to navigate them with practice.

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

Like has its awkward moments for sure. You learn to navigate them with practice.

Or total avoidance :lmao:! I still look for my ex's truck every time I go to the grocery store or some other place I might run into him. Unfortunately, he's constantly buying new trucks so it is hard to keep up.

It is complicated. Most of my friends are not really connected anymore and some not even local. But yeah, I've had to just avoid a couple of people. I feel guilty on all counts for it, but they both crossed lines.

When the case is you're going to see them around whether you want to or not, you have to just minimize contact with them, a smile or wave, but then get away from them asap and say "I'm busy" if they contact to ask you to do something. Polite so they can't really talk bad about you or have anything tangible to tell a mutual friend. You want to keep it to where it's like this.

No Longer Friend: Bob, Logo is acting really weird. Do you know what's up with him?

Bob: No, he seems fine to me.

No Longer Friend: Well, he just isn't talking much and when I asked him to go play pool, he said he was busy, but I think it was just an excuse.

Bob: He's probably just busy. Don't worry about it.