LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Friendship

Friend in a foreign country asked for money

Friendship Having issues with a friend? Get it off your chest!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st March 2019, 8:41 PM   #1
Established Member

Friend in a foreign country asked for money

A while ago I met someone who lives in Eastern Europe and we've kept in touch. Since we first me she got married and has a few kids. Usually we'll just chat about whatever is going on in our lives and she's been talking about moving to a new apartment for her growing family.

In her last email she asked if I could loan her money since interest rates are so high where she is. This has been weighing on me and I feel very uncomfortable with the situation.

I don't want to lose the friendship, but I also don't want to get scammed. If I send her money it seems like that would create an awkward situation if she doesn't pay me back.

What should I do?
max3732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2019, 8:50 PM   #2
Established Member

You're a friend, not a bank. Actually you might not even be a friend, at least as far as she's concerned. The answer to your question is clearly "no".

Just tell her "It's not something I do" and leave it at that.
Normm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2019, 8:52 PM   #3
Established Member

Don't ever lend money which you'd be sad to not have paid back.
basil67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2019, 9:09 PM   #4
Established Member

DO NOT DO IT!!! Lots of people in other countries pull at your heart strings via online friendships, and then after a while they ask for money. What are you doing chatting with a married woman anyways? Doesn't she have a husband to help her out?
Old 31st March 2019, 9:25 PM   #5
Established Member

Tell her you have what little money you have tied up in longterm investments, and that's if she knows you have money. Most people don't. If she doesn't even know, just say, Sorry, I don't have enough money for that.
Old 31st March 2019, 9:39 PM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_merrick View Post
DO NOT DO IT!!! Lots of people in other countries pull at your heart strings via online friendships, and then after a while they ask for money. What are you doing chatting with a married woman anyways? Doesn't she have a husband to help her out?
When I met her she wasn't married and we've just kind of kept in touch. I haven't seen her in person in years.

She said her husband lost his job and is looking for new work and they need some money while he's getting back on his feet. I've read about elder abuse and Nigerian scammers, but this is someone I've been emailing with for years and it really surprised me to see that request.
max3732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2019, 3:10 AM   #7
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by max3732 View Post
A while ago I met someone who lives in Eastern Europe and we've kept in touch. Since we first me she got married and has a few kids. Usually we'll just chat about whatever is going on in our lives and she's been talking about moving to a new apartment for her growing family.

In her last email she asked if I could loan her money since interest rates are so high where she is. This has been weighing on me and I feel very uncomfortable with the situation.

I don't want to lose the friendship, but I also don't want to get scammed. If I send her money it seems like that would create an awkward situation if she doesn't pay me back.

What should I do?
Say NO. You're not in her daily life, you are casual buddies who keep in touch.

What about her other friends who live close to her? Or spouse? Parents? Other family members. No, don't do this. Once you open that door she'll keep asking and it's very doubtful she'll ever pay you back.
whichwayisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2019, 3:13 AM   #8
Established Member

Quote:
When I met her she wasn't married and we've just kind of kept in touch. I haven't seen her in person in years.

She said her husband lost his job and is looking for new work and they need some money while he's getting back on his feet. I've read about elder abuse and Nigerian scammers, but this is someone I've been emailing with for years and it really surprised me to see that request.
OMG, all the more reason NOT to give her money! She has some balls to ask you since you haven't see her in years!!

Again, why don't they ask immediate family members, cousins, aunts, uncles or even face to face friends for money. It is ODD to ask an email buddy!

Listen to your gut, don't do it.
whichwayisup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2019, 7:47 AM   #9
Established Member

If you have some money that you can gift her with no expectation of repayment, do that. You can call it whatever you like but you need to assume that you won't get it back. If you do, great but if not, oh well.

If it's a larger sum & you want to be assured as much as possible of getting repaid, treat this like a business deal. Go hire a lawyer who practices where you are & where she is. Draw up a real contract that puts jurisdiction in your area so if she defaults you don't have to sue her there. Get it all in writing & have both her & her husband sign. If you are not willing to go this route, do not "loan" her the money. Some nonsense that you two draw up yourselves about repayment won't be worth the paper it's written on.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2019, 9:02 AM   #10
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nnivain View Post
Some nonsense that you two draw up yourselves about repayment won't be worth the paper it's written on.

Judge Judy might consider it.
Normm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2019, 9:27 AM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normm View Post
Judge Judy might consider it.
She won't have jurisdiction. Both parties have to come to the studio & sign documents agreeing to be bound by the TV decision.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2019, 9:32 AM   #12
Established Member

You know people on this forum about as well as you know this lady at this juncture. Would you start handing out money to people here over a sad story?
Wallysbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2019, 9:47 AM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
This has been weighing on me and I feel very uncomfortable with the situation.
That's your answer right here. No need to mull it over.

If she's a true friend, she won't hold you saying no against you. If she cuts you off bc you didn't want to give her a loan, she was not a friend in the first place.
littleblackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2019, 11:21 AM   #14
Established Member

NO, NO and more NO.

They are moving into a bigger apartment... so this is not about living hand to mouth, or starving children, is it?
She has a bit of a nerve asking you for money IMO.
I think she and her husband may see you as a bit of a soft touch...
elaine567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2019, 11:22 AM   #15
Established Member

You do realize that should you choose to "loan" the money and the long shot you do get paid back, you will be the go to source from here on out for her short falls until the day you finally say no.