Drop them or not?!

bloodreaper

Long story short, my family and friends I grew up with live oversees. Since I moved to the US and graduated from college, I haven’t made any new friends. My friends from high school here are, unfortunately, racist and immature. I never really liked hanging out with them so here recently, when they made a racist joke towards me, I flipped out on them and walked out and basically told them they’re no longer my friends. However, I haven’t had any friends ever since and my girlfriend has PLENTY. I feel like a loser sometimes and worry that this will affect our relationship somehow. For example, my birthday is coming up in a couple weeks and she’s planning a surprise party... all the people attending are HER friends whom I’ve befriended. If I was to get married next month, for example, I seriously would NOT have a single friend to invite, besides them. They’ve invited me to go over this Friday to hangout with them and catch up and I said yes. I don’t have too many opportunities to make new friends. My life consists of work, gym, and spending time with gf. What should I do?! I don’t mind not having friends, especially toxic ones, but I’m just ashamed of it.

paisleypanther

Friendships are supposed to make you feel good about yourself. If your friends aren't doing that for you, maybe it's about time you start looking for others. I see why that would be scary, especially if you feel as if you don't have many friends or that it's hard to make friends. But I've learned that sometimes it's better to be alone than around people who make you feel bad about yourself. That's not to say you'll always be alone. I'm sure you'll be able to make friends who are much better than your current ones!

I understand not “needing” friends but at the same time it’s healthy to have a life outside of your relationship and work.

I suggest you carve out time between your schedule once a week to attend events that interest you. Could be something political, or about a cause, business networking, or whatever it is you’re interested in.

This way you can get out of your bubble and also experience new things and perhaps meet new people with common interests.

I am also not originally from the US and I know how cold people can be here. Not to mention racist and weird around foreigners, ugh. But it’s a huge country and there are also nice people out there. Even if they’re other foreigners :)