Insult or Not??

Cousin Vinny

Hey viewers,

this is the situation- I recently met a casual acquaintance Bob, on the street (a friend of a friend really).

He invited me for a beer and we went along met up with a few of his other mates and had a great night.

Finishing up, I says thanks fellas enjoyed the fun and so on, and I says to Bob sure we will swap numbers and meet up again sometime.

oh No, I am not giving you my number says Bob, I hardly know you and I do not give out my number like that.

I was pretty taken aback by this and shocked actually- it spoiled what had been a good evening's entertainment.

I was deeply insulted.

I have said this to a few people since and some of them agree with me that it was a nasty insult and some have defended Bob and said he was in the right.

So what do you think? Insult or not? appreciate any help with this.

Edited by Cousin Vinny

To be honest, it sounds more knuckle-headed of Bob, than any insult against you.

Somebody told him, or he took the advice of some "relationship expert", to not give out one's number too quickly or easily (which, IMO, is garbage 'advice' in the first place, but...nevertheless...),

so, he used this line on you as if you are a potential romantic interest. Bob-the-nutjob, basically. Don't let it/him get you down.

• Like 1

Deeply insulted is probably overly dramatic. There is a possibility Bob was being sarcastic & you missed it. Bob could just be a jerk. Either way steer clear but let it go.

I get being insulted by it. But hell, at least its honest. I've exchanged numbers with plenty of old pals, knowing I damn well will never call them but am just being polite (and am sure same has happened to me a few times).

Bob may be a little cra-cra, inviting guys off the street for a beer and then saying no to ever doing it again. Just sayin'. Unless you are widely known amongst your acquaintances to be a social ingrate, I think it's on ol' Bob.

• Author

great, thanks for the responses, Yes I agree the term deeply insulted is probably over dramatic, it did hit me somewhat though, like it was below the belt so to speak.

to add a little, I am recently back in my hometown having been away and finding it a little harder than I envisaged to meet up with old friends.

I am 34 and Bob would be around 40 I think. I imagine most people would say I am pretty decent so I do not think I am known as a social ingrate!

I gather so overall most of you would advise me to steer clear of Bob?

• Like 1

I assume by your name you are a man?

This is not an insult, no. He is brushing you off, no big deal. It has happened to me too. Once I asked an acquaintance for his phone number after we had lunch together twice (his request) and he told me he didn't know his number. Sure. I was just being nice.

Some guys just want to hang out and do not want friends per se. They are all over.

• Author

Hi,

thanks for the feedback

Yes I am a man (not gay!) and from the Yorkshire, England area.

ok, maybe I am being slightly over sensitive about the phone thing, it is not as if I know the chap well even,

Yes I suppose the "brush off " can happen plenty of times in life and the main thing is to not to take it too seriously and stride on.

thanks for your replies, I am not feeling as bothered now about the incident.

Being back home reduces plenty of people to the frightened children we used to be. On top of that you are feeling under appreciated by your other buddy & the upcoming wedding. Thus you are particularly sensitive.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...