Was he trying to hint he wanted me to take him out, coworkers birthday?

SunFeel

So a few days ago my coworker came over we just chilled and watched a movie and he said “my birthday is coming up!” And i asked when and he told me in a few days

the day of his birthday i texted him and told him happy birthday and i texted back and asked him did he have anything planned for his birthday and he said “I’m going to my moms and to get a haircut , why do you ask?” But i never ended up responding to that text until later and told him he could come by since he gets his haircut right where i stay

The day of his birthday he came over after he got his haircut and i asked him did he still not have plans for his birthday and he said “nah nobody is taking me out today” and he looked kind of sad... the he said “well i don’t know whens the next time I’ll see you since they moved you to another department”

I told him I’d try to come in early so we can chat with each other before work

What do you mean, he came over to where you stay? Did you mean, to where you live? And when he came over after the haircut, did he come to your house? IÂ’m confused. Regardless, why didnÂ’t you take him out on his birthday?