Going to my first meetup event this week. Are they awkward?

Highroller107

Highroller107

I’m looking to to make some new friends, male and female. What to expect? Will they be welcoming and interact with me? I figure if I feel a bad vibe from the group, then I will leave. At least I tried! What’s the worst that could happen...

Are you good at working a room? They can be awkward, different groups have different vibes. Don't give up if this isn't your room. If you can be the one who is brave enough to say "Hi I'm new", you should be fine.

I’m looking to to make some new friends, male and female. What to expect? Will they be welcoming and interact with me? I figure if I feel a bad vibe from the group, then I will leave. At least I tried! What’s the worst that could happen...

as our friend Donald trump said "it is what it is". The more you put into it the more you'll get out of it.

Meet-ups are usually focused around an activity (say, hiking or skiing, etc.) or theme (discussion groups, writing, etc.)

What's the focus of this meet-up?

I attended my first one a few years ago and while I only go sporadically to a few of them (science, atheism, photography), every one of them have been full of welcoming people.

I run a Detroit area meetup with 1,300 members. Our activities are a lot of fun and we welcome new members with open arms.

• Like 1
  • Author
Highroller107
Are you good at working a room? They can be awkward, different groups have different vibes. Don't give up if this isn't your room. If you can be the one who is brave enough to say "Hi I'm new", you should be fine.

I’m not that tor type to work a room. I’m quiet. It’s a happy hour meetup.

I’m not that tor type to work a room. I’m quiet. It’s a happy hour meetup.

I would advise against this type of meet up then. In a bar on a weekend it's hard to know who is with the group & who is not. It's hard to ascertain who is new. It's hard to have a conversation. You won't be able to tell who is part of the group & who is just a member of the public at the Happy Hour.

If you are quiet this is not going to work well for you. You need a more structured meet up with a check in, name tags & greeters. Or at least a hike type thing so the members know you are new & can welcome you

MeetUps are great but I am not sure this is the best one for your 1st. I fear you will hate it & never try again

Please do come back & tell us how it went.

Meetup events are a lot less awkward if there's a planned activity rather than sitting around drinking at a bar or sitting around at someone's house. I went to a bowling one and it was fine, but then the next one was torture, with the married couples being very closed off and paranoid about the singles, most of which were lesbians who didn't want their husbands anyway....

I wouldn't go to one just drinks or just a house. The last ones I went to was lunch, or actually brunch, a little early for me, and it wasn't too awkward as you can always just eat. One of the times a new person who goes to all types of meetups was there dominating the conversation with her boring loud crap. That was bad. I just sat far away from her the next time though. This was just a friend group, not a date group. The last one of those, some people left and it was just three of us and for the first time someone brought up a political issue and we all got into it. That wasn't any fun.

• Author
Highroller107

Due to the snow and ice on Friday night I didn’t go. I figure they were going to cancel it but no, looks like only 5 people went out of 15 that signed up when I checked. However I’m planning on going to another event next weekend. It’s drinks and dancing. I really want to go to dancing I don’t have any one to go with , so I could just go meetup with the a group of ppl

cool... you inspired me so I signed up for my 1st one this coming Tuesday. Pub Trivia... lol... I am not good at trivia but what the hey I am going to give it a go. :)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Author
Highroller107
I would advise against this type of meet up then. In a bar on a weekend it's hard to know who is with the group & who is not. It's hard to ascertain who is new. It's hard to have a conversation. You won't be able to tell who is part of the group & who is just a member of the public at the Happy Hour.

If you are quiet this is not going to work well for you. You need a more structured meet up with a check in, name tags & greeters. Or at least a hike type thing so the members know you are new & can welcome you

MeetUps are great but I am not sure this is the best one for your 1st. I fear you will hate it & never try again

Please do come back & tell us how it went.

Update: well, I rsvp’d to a karaoke meetup last night and chickened out last minute, it said 60 people went, I doubt that many people went, at a bar no on knows who is who and I saw there were people posting comments about where they were and if I had went I would have had no choice but going up to a group of strangers and introducing myself which I hate. I saw pictures from last night and looks like some already have became buddies already. I think if I would have went, I would have just gone and stood at the bar alone the entire night because I usually wait until someone talks to me first. I didn’t want to be excluded, which usually happens because I’m quiet and others are more talkative. Maybe a sporting event, a concert would be better to break the ice

Yes I would rather try a meet up event which involved some activity- bowling/walking group/ table quiz or something.

meaning to try one of these events at some stage.

As a few people allude to there, just turning up in a bar and try to join some meet up group for drinks or dinner- I know I would find this pretty awkward to start with-

As a few people allude to there, just turning up in a bar and try to join some meet up group for drinks or dinner- I know I would find this pretty awkward to start with-

have a shot of tequila to calm yourself down (before you go in)

• Author
Highroller107
have a shot of tequila to calm yourself down (before you go in)

This is what I have to do to go into every thing. Maybe bars aren’t sooo bad, everyone is drinking people will strike up a convo with me regardless. Now in a sober environment people are more uptight