Friends - Too much chat

MetallicHue

I just have a general question. How often do you speak to your friends? Like what’s too much? I seem to have a knack for losing friends being too chatty but some people don’t seem to mind.

It comes down to the individual as well as the friendship. With some old friends I'll go months without seeing them, but it means we have a lot to talk about when we do see each other. But with other friends I'll see them most days a week since we're fellow students in the same department.

If you're only losing some friends because you see them too often, then the ones that stick around have an ideal level of communication with you.

How old are you? Are you in school? Do you work? People who work or have a hard schedule otherwise, such as raising kids, just don't have time or interest in daily chitchat, that's all. It becomes boring and low priority. Now young people in their teens thrive on constant talking. But even once into college, they are doing instead of talking.

Easy peasy: Since you know it's working people's nerves, just cut it in half.

• Like 1
  • Author

Yeah I get what you’re saying and have been told that. I never really had any friends until I hit my late 20’s so I’m like it’s fun to chat. Definitely will keep what you say in mind. Anyway I pretty sit at my desk all day and I wonder if people even notice if I’m there lol. So not much to worry about at my new job anyway.

CautiouslyOptimistic

Are you making sure to ask questions about THEM and not just talk about yourself and/or have verbal diarrhea (i.e. every thought in your brain comes out of your mouth)

• Author

I’m guilty of that with some people. Certain people are more willing to open up than others. I prefer to have back and forth and not just talk about myself. I guess you can say I do find it challenging to get some of the people I know to talk about themselves more. I did have good friends I could do that with but I found myself bothering them too much so I cut things off. I was getting too OCD with them - too much chat.

Will be a little bit careful about texting at work because a lot of employers have it set up where they can see everyone's Wi-Fi feed if it's the office's Wi-Fi. Also and I'm not trying to be harsh, but I'm one of those people who likes to see someone serious about their employment even when I was young, so I lose a little respect for them if they're doing too much personal activity at work. I would want someone I was interested in or friends with to take their work more seriously and try to get ahead and not just be sitting around playing. Most people are just too busy for all that. The other thing to remember is that if you tell someone everything on text then if you ever do get together with them you won't have anything left to talk about and it will just be repetitive and boring. Savior best material for in-person! ?

• Author

Good advice. I’m not looking to slack off. I normally worked 12-16 hr days and needed something to stay sane. Now at my more quiet job just hoping to have someone to go to lunch with once in a while.

CautiouslyOptimistic
I think we all have one of those friends that either call or stop over, start talking and never take a breath.

Yes. And I can never understand how they can find so much to talk about. I would get exhausted.