People who stare down at you? Improper?

Joyce Simmons

Joyce Simmons

Like there’s this coworker who’s one of those “staring girls” like she has those nosy eyes. Whenever she walks around the desk she’s constantly looking in a nosy way. Yesterday for example she was getting up and I was walking towards her, I noticed she looked at my shoes. But it wasn’t a glance it was like staring down. She does it to everyone. It’s kind of like when your in middle school and those snotty girls look at you up and down to see how you’re dressed or what to have in your hand. Hard to explain. I know I don’t look at a person up and down and checking someone out, I just glance. Not sure why she makes it obvious that she’s looking at someone up and Down

Edited by Joyce Simmons

Does she act odd any other way? If you think she's just doing it to be rude, then I'd say something to her in front of the boss or other people out loud where they hear, like, Judy, is there something I can do for you? If she says no, still loud, say, Well, I saw you looking at my desk like you were looking for something. Did you lose something? Make her self-conscious about ever doing it again.

Edited by preraph

Other than the unusual gaze, is she a generally nice person? Thing is, I wouldn't make any assumptions about her gaze unless she is ALSO mean.

• Like 2
Sarah_Smiles

I don't know could be she likes your style and is taking in what you are wearing on that day, right down to your shoes, if you notice why not say to her, those are (xyz - whatever brand of shoes) I got them at whatever place if you are interested, hehe. Same if she is looking up and down your dress etc. As others said is she curious or being a B about it? Does she make small talk with you ever?

CautiouslyOptimistic

My 77 year old mother is a huge starer. Drives my kids nuts. I can assure you she doesn't have a mean bone in her body.....she just stares lol.

• Like 2
The Dude Abides

Ahhh, the weird staring family member.....we have one of those....drives me nuts! Can’t do much about it though because he is elderly. I did finally lose patience recently while he was staring at me in the kitchen while I was prepping veggies for the stove. I finally just said “ Do you need something? You’re looking at me like you do....”. LOL he got the hint and left. But sadly the learning experience wasn’t retained. :eek:

• Author
Joyce Simmons

Well, aside from having nosy eyes and whenever she walks down the aisles, she’s just looking at people’s desk like in a “snoopy” kind of way. She’s 30...so, she acts I don’t know spoiled? If that’s the term. She usually throws hissy fits about the seating arrangement, we all sit in a cubicle, she prefers to sit on the outside aisle. She gets her way because she’s best friends with the supervisor. I try to avoid her, her whole staring at people up and down, she basically stares at everything. Even in the parking lot she starts “looking” around before she enters the building. One time I was sitting in my car and she was looking at me. She stares at everyone like that. Wonder if anyone has told her not to look that way? She would be a good security guard, for sure

Edited by Joyce Simmons
The Dude Abides

Joyce, she sounds like an odd duck for sure. Many years ago I worked with a guy who was like that. We all got to the point that we couldn’t stand him. I started trying to disrupt his snooping and staring activities with what they call psychological warfare in the military. :lmao: He would come walking around and snooping and I would say something benign like “hey what time is it?” ( i had a watch on) He would look at my watch, look at his, answer with the time, and I would then say something such as “Are you really sure what time it is?” (Chicago song from the 60’s LOL). He would get flustered , forget what he was there for, and walk away. I would ask the most absurd questions and keep a straight face. And he never knew what to say. One guy knew that the snooper would look through stacks of papers on the desk whenever possible, so he started leaving notes to be discovered that were quite humorous and off-color. That stopped that activity fairly quickly. :D

Pretty soon, everyone caught on to this method and used it and this poor slob had no idea what was going on, but he was so unsettled that he stopped being nosy and actually (FINALLY) did his job rather than pestering people and snooping.

We never did like him but at least he stopped annoying us. :p

Maybe you and friends at work can discreetly irritate this person and get her to buzz off .....

CautiouslyOptimistic
Ahhh, the weird staring family member.....we have one of those....drives me nuts! Can’t do much about it though because he is elderly. I did finally lose patience recently while he was staring at me in the kitchen while I was prepping veggies for the stove. I finally just said “ Do you need something? You’re looking at me like you do....”. LOL he got the hint and left. But sadly the learning experience wasn’t retained. :eek:

Sounds familiar!! :lmao: