Giving myself a stomach ache

alsudduth

One of my best friends arranged a birthday weekend getaway for next weekend. The invite was sent out with plenty of advance. I am a known procrastinator but thought I had plenty of time to get around to planning and booking for myself to go. Once mid November hit, it was like time flew by. Work was insane trying to prepare for the holiday and I totally forgot all about the quick trip.

My friend lives about 2 hours south of me, and the getaway is about 3 hours south of her. Forgetting about the trip date, I came down this weekend for a visit so my kids could see friends in the same city while on break (I stay with my friend when I come down) my friend reminded me that the trip was next weekend and said she really hoped I could make it. I felt like a deer in headlights and immediately terrible that I let this creep up on me without properly planning when I was given plenty of notice.

My dilemma is that we are less than a week past Christmas and my husband talked me into spending a lot of money at Christmas. He is a truck driver in between trucks so he hasn't gotten paid either for a couple weeks. (He should get back to regular schedule next week and we can catch up on bills. ) basically i'm broke right now.

If I go next weekend im looking at around 350 between gas and the accommodation plus an almost 5 hour drive each way.

I also would have to make sure my sister in law is able to find care for her baby since I normally watch him on weekends. And since I have to either ask my mother in law to come stay with my kids or ask if they can stay with my sister in law with my dog included (my dog is staying with my sister in law this weekend to)

In addition, the following weekend my daughter has an orthodontist apt to follow up on getting her braces removed, which is in the same city 2 hours south. Which means I have to make another drive the weekend after next (but I can make that just a day trip, still gas though)

Anyway, long story short I feel like I should try to go to be there for my friend since she gave me plenty of notice, but I dont know how to make it work in the short amount of time I gave myself to plan. How can I let her down without hurting her feelings too much, OR advice on getting to a getaway 5 hours away last minute with about 6 days to plan.... I've been stressing since she mentioned it this evening and feel like I should tell her I cant make it. Im such a crummy friend sometimes. :(

Im such a crummy friend sometimes. :(

Not at all a crummy friend...just a crummy planner. :).

To me, your best way out is to just come clean: "I left it to the last minute...I'm such a crummy planner, sometimes...and now, there's just too much else in the way and I just can't make it."

And apologize, and say that next time you're going to make a much better effort (and then actually do that. There are too many apps and softwares to not be able to better plan in the future.)

I wouldn't say that I totally forgot about her birthday plans; and, it's up to you if you also want to mention that it's a bit tricky, financially, at this time.

I'd be honest and tell her that with holiday spending, husband work, sitters, etc you just can't make the weekend getaway work but that the two of you will get dinner or something together soon.