Should I go to my friend's charity fundraiser in this case?

ironpony

Basically my friend has these charity events she holds. She keeps asking me to come to her paint night even, where you pay to learn how to paint for the evening, and you pay $37 USD.

But it seems a bit much and I don't even like painting. The charity is for leukemia research I think she said, but it seems like a lost cause since I don't think there has been much advancement into fixing leukemia last time I checked.

Unless I am wrong?

So I didn't want to go even though she keeps trying to talk to me into it. My gf told her that she would try to 'wear me down' as she put it. I don't know why she told her that, but now I feel more pressured to go cause my gf told her that.

What do you think? Am I being too much of a curmudgeon and should go?

You are under no obligation to participate unless you want to. Someone trying to "wear me down" would probably only ensure that I DIDN'T participate.

If you feel you should participate just because it's a charity (not that you should), then you can always donate your time or money to a charity that is meaningful to you.

Meh, too many charities begging for not enough dollars. Choose a charity which means something to you and tell the others that you donate to your chosen charity.

It's called a paint & sip. Yes there is some painting. It's a hoot trying to copy the model. It's more about the booze. You have been invited to a drinking party not a painting party. Yes, I think you are being a curmudgeon about the whole thing but you are allowed. If you really don't want to go, don't go but do be a sweetie & offer to drive your GF & your friend so they can enjoy the sipping part of the evening. :D

• Like 1
  • Author

Well the thing is, is that the drinks are priced separately from the cost you pay for a ticket though. I could go out with friends to drink somewhere without having to pay for an additional $37 dollar ticket to get in.

Plus it's on a work night, and I work early in the morning in my job compared to her.

Edited by ironpony
  • Author

Not wanting to spend $37. I mean it's just I feel I have spent quite a bit of money on things lately, and I'm quitting my job soon, so I not sure if I should or not.

Not wanting to spend $37. I mean it's just I feel I have spent quite a bit of money on things lately, and I'm quitting my job soon, so I not sure if I should or not.

Well that makes it easy. Just tell them you don't have the cash to spare at present.

• Like 1
What do you think?

I think you should tell your "friend" that you will happily go if she joins you and your gf in a threesome.

Hey, Ironpony. I know you from another forum. :)

As for this, you analyze about things way too much. It's the same with your writing. Just go with your gut. If you don't want to go, then don't go. I have a feeling your friend will get over it.

• Like 1
  • Author

Well I talked to my gf about it and she said she was just playing around and having fun when she told my friend that and is sorry she did that and didn't mean anything by it. I also feel that this opened a door for my friend to keep on asking, c'mon you will have fun, until last night i finally said yes to her just to get her to be quiet and stop asking me about it.

But I gave in after I had a few drinks, when she kept asking me since we were all out having drinks, so I feel my friend wore me down, when I was in a drinking state of mind, and feel now, that I shouldn't have said yes.

Do you think she really overstepping her boundaries intentionally though, since me offering to help her out in the past, was probably not on her mind when she kept asking, since she is mentally pre-occupied with this charity thing?

There is also another thing. My friend said she would offer to do something nice for me in the future to pay me back like take out to dinner sometime, since I have been kind to her money wise later, once she has more. But if I don't go to her charity thing, will she feel resented by that and not want to do something like that for me in the future if I ask her?

Plus my gf is already going herself and bought her ticket, so does it look bad to my friend if I don't go with her now, and that I have recanted?

Plus my gf is already going herself and bought her ticket, so does it look bad to my friend if I don't go with her now, and that I have recanted?

now that gf is going you don't have to go. those two can have a "girls night out" and you can stay home and watch football

• Like 1

Don't go if you are only going because you are guilted into or feel guilty regarding it. Go only if you want to go, it means something to you and you can afford the cost of it. She is a friend so she should understand if you decline this one charity event.

Basically my friend has these charity events she holds. She keeps asking me to come to her paint night even, where you pay to learn how to paint for the evening, and you pay $37 USD.

But it seems a bit much and I don't even like painting. The charity is for leukemia research I think she said, but it seems like a lost cause since I don't think there has been much advancement into fixing leukemia last time I checked.

Unless I am wrong?

So I didn't want to go even though she keeps trying to talk to me into it. My gf told her that she would try to 'wear me down' as she put it. I don't know why she told her that, but now I feel more pressured to go cause my gf told her that.

What do you think? Am I being too much of a curmudgeon and should go?

No. If you don't want to go then don't go. Start saying what you mean and stop being persuaded by a drink of alcohol.

Edited by stillafool