Why is it wrong to block people?

KatCha

People have been doing this to me for years, before social media. I just assumed we were never friends in the first place. It stung, but hey, they turned out to be right and we had zero in common. The only time I block now is if I feel someone is not a good person towards me, harbors I'll will, or has screwed me over and vanished into thin air afterwards, or shows zero interest in forming a basic friendship or anything else for that matter. Then blocking isn't an issue, it is a must. Idk, it's so easy to become quickly involved in other people's lives nowadays that it takes awhile to know someone who is truly a friend or not. Not everyone is going to have your best interests at heart, or care for that matter, so I think blocking is ok in that regard.

There's nothing wrong with blocking. There are many reasons to block people. On Twitter, you can mute them instead of block them or you can turn off their retweets, so you don't have to block the whole person if you don't want to. A few years ago, people were blocking friends on Facebook left and right because they were tired of nothing but kid photos or kid news or they felt the person never wrote anything real and just wrote what they thought would make others envy them.

Some people block others just because that person only lurks and never writes. I have two friends who don't seem to interact on social media but follow people. I have blocked some people because now that everyone seems to be overly political, I get tired of hearing the rhetoric on both sides. So if that's all someone does, they get blocked. I blocked one of my old friends recently because I felt she was talking out of her butt about things she didn't really know much about. We're still friends, but in email, she never brings that type stuff up. I think she did it on Twitter to appease her SIL, maybe, who is an extremist and one of her only followers.

It's fine to block people. I mainly block people who are strangers I'm not following that argue with me if I write something in response to something in the media. I like to enjoy Twitter, not sit there and get upset or mad, so I block anyone who doesn't make me happy!

There is nothing wrong with blocking. There is a lot wrong with blocking, then unblocking, then doing it all over again.

I have only ever blocked one person. I have deleted several people. . . some people you just don't need in your life any more. I haven't taken the step to preclude them from reaching me because they haven't tried so there is no need to block. We are all mature enough to just let go.

• Like 1

I don't like blocking and I think that it is an overreaction in a lot of instances. It should only be done as an absolute last resort. Like if a person has just gone absolutely insane, and have come to your profile and posted inappropriate pics time and again after have asked them nicely to stop. Or if they are just harassing you via messenger or something like that. I don't think it should be done as a rule. Unfriending is all that is needed, in most cases.

• Like 2
I don't like blocking and I think that it is an overreaction in a lot of instances. It should only be done as an absolute last resort. Like if a person has just gone absolutely insane, and have come to your profile and posted inappropriate pics time and again after have asked them nicely to stop. Or if they are just harassing you via messenger or something like that. I don't think it should be done as a rule. Unfriending is all that is needed, in most cases.

I quite agree.

In the age of social media, I've unfollowed and unfriended, but never blocked. Mainly because nobody has ever been so vile or harassed me to an extent that I needed to block them.

There's nothing wrong with blocking. There are many reasons to block people. On Twitter, you can mute them instead of block them or you can turn off their retweets, so you don't have to block the whole person if you don't want to. A few years ago, people were blocking friends on Facebook left and right because they were tired of nothing but kid photos or kid news or they felt the person never wrote anything real and just wrote what they thought would make others envy them.

Some people block others just because that person only lurks and never writes. I have two friends who don't seem to interact on social media but follow people. I have blocked some people because now that everyone seems to be overly political, I get tired of hearing the rhetoric on both sides. So if that's all someone does, they get blocked. I blocked one of my old friends recently because I felt she was talking out of her butt about things she didn't really know much about. We're still friends, but in email, she never brings that type stuff up. I think she did it on Twitter to appease her SIL, maybe, who is an extremist and one of her only followers.

It's fine to block people. I mainly block people who are strangers I'm not following that argue with me if I write something in response to something in the media. I like to enjoy Twitter, not sit there and get upset or mad, so I block anyone who doesn't make me happy!

I've done all this too, but by unfriending or unfollowing. I have also placed limitations on people being able to message me if they are too messagy. But I've never needed to block someone.

Are we doing the same thing but calling it by different words? Or are you truly blocking them?

I wasn't sure if the OP meant, "unfriended," as opposed to: "blocked?" I've heard a lot of people use the terms interchangeably although arguably they mean different courses of action.

I've been unfriended by those who've had crushes on me completely unbeknownst by yours truly. I've also been unfriended by 2 people (that I'm aware of); not for something I did or said but something I didn't do or say.

I know some people do annual culling of those on their friends list who've they've lost touch with but I think most people (like myself) simply unfollow those who don't interest us so much or post too much.

I've only used the block feature on Facebook once and that was to purposely distance myself from an acquaintance who was using me as a bank for his drug habit and simply telling him no wasn't enough. For me blocking him was a coping mechanism and a way to cut off online communication.

I read online that most people unfriend those on their Facebook friends list not because of something they've done specifically but for the way they make them feel about themselves. (EX: Unrequited love or breakup)

I don't unfriend my exes and several of them haven't unfriended me either. I think part of it is my pride and not wanting to let the other party sense some lingering irrational emotional investment on my part. To me I think during a breakup you either unfriend right away or don't do it at all.

Edited by loverboy69
  • 4 weeks later...

About a month late but.....

There's nothing wrong with blocking people. You do them because you do it for a reason (no matter who is right or wrong). I block 2 people in every social media that I use. One is my Ex. Another one is her friend who just kept telling me about my Ex daily routines or asked me to meet her up.

Basically it's just unhealthy relationship as I'm done with my Ex and I don't want to hear about her anymore which someone can't stop talking about my Ex to me despite I already asked her to stop it.

todreaminblue

I block as a last resort.....its because either me being in their lives is causing pain either to me or them.....and i cant handle it anymore...i dont like causing pain to anyone..........it takes a lot for me to block someone...i normally take a break from social media first and reflect......deb

Hi I kept checking my post and nobody is not commenting my post. Can you please reply my post? https://www.loveshack.org/forums/platonic/friendship/666524-what-would-you-do-if