Why is he ignoring me??

Hey guys, I need some advice about a situation I'm currently in with a friend of mine, and I'm hoping you guys can tell me why he's acting this way and what I should do about it. I'll summarize our relationship and tell you about him first (this might be kind of long)...

Jamie is 23 yrs old (just a year older than I am). He's from San Diego, and currently lives in LA. He's very close to his family (like myself), and has 1 younger brother that's 19. He's a little bit anal about things, he's very tidy, very polite, has a sarcastic sense of humor, isn't very outdoorsy, and is surprisingly laid back most of the time.

He was raised a Christian (also like myself), and went to a private school. He attended 2 yrs of college, but quit to persue his music. He's a singer/songwriter/guitarist and has been into music his entire life. He has released multiple CDs, even though he's not signed with a record label, and has become quite popular over the past 6 months since he toured with his friend Ty. Ty is signed to Maverick records, and let Jamie tour with him.

I met Jamie about a year ago at an outdoor concert Ty was playing at in Arkansas. I was there to see Ty, but the first time I saw Jamie, I was immediately attracted to him. We talked a little bit after the show, and instead of telling him "bye" when I left, I said "see you later" because I knew in my heart I would see him again. It turned out I was right, we kept in touch by e-mail over the next few months and became good friends. I did the same with Ty, and we also became great friends.

However, Jamie and I have more in common. We have the exact taste in music and movies, and the same sense of humor. I'm also a musician and play guitar, violin and piano. I'm much more laid back than he is, more outdoorsy, and definitely not as anal, so he sometimes drives me crazy! lol I also want to be a record promoter, and have had some experience with that in the past.

Anyway, the next time he came to town, he asked me to help promote his show and I said that I would. When he got here, he gave me two giant hugs and thanked me for all of my help. He didn't really have a place to stay, she he stayed with me at my parent's house for 3 days. My entire family loves him, and Jamie says that my mom reminds me so much of his mom that it's kind of scary. We hung out the whole time and talked about music and the music business. It was really nice to have someone to talk to about that stuff, because no one in Oklahoma really understands. While he was here, he also showed me how to use my newly purchased iPod and gave me over 600 songs from his own collection!

After he left, we still kept in touch and he finally came back to OK last March. I attend a local university and have an apartment on campus, so he stayed with me when he was here. I booked him on a college radio show, at a coffee shop, a club and a book store. I also got him in my school's paper and another hip local entertainment paper. The first night, I picked him up at the airport and we went back to my apt. It was late and I had homework, so I worked on it while he played some of his new songs for me.

The next day, I had 1 class, so I went and let him sleep in. When I got back, he was just getting out of the shower and asked me if I minded ironing his shirt. I said I didn't, and ironed his shirt while he finished getting ready and drying his hair. He told me "thanks" a few times as I was ironing and then said "this seems a little...." and then kind of laughed. I laughed too because I knew what he meant. It seemed like we were married or something. But I didn't freak me out at all, and he didn't seem to mind it either!

After he got ready, we went to lunch and to see "Hitch" (which was an unusual choice compared to his preference of comedies and action movies) before his show. We talked about California, and how much I wanted to move there. He was trying to talk me into moving out there ASAP and said that I would love it. I told him I would probably be coming for a visit during the summer, and he said he couldn't wait show me around when I go.

[side note: At that time, however, I was dating another guy named Travis. Travis is from Seattle, is a total outdoorsman, a human rights activist, and has a really big heart. He's just a sweet guy. However, our family backgrounds couldn't be more different. He's also an atheist, and my family isn't exactly fond of him. Nobody really thought we fit together, but we got along great so we tried to make it work. I only dated Travis for 3 weeks, but we're still good friends.]

Anyway, Jamie acted very nervous and standoff-ish around me after he met Travis at the show that night and found out we were dating. I made sure that the few times Travis was with me we didn't make him feel left out. On the contrary, he and Travis talked a lot and became pretty good friends. The last night Jamie was in town, he had a show at a club and got a little drunk. My friends told me that he kept looking over at me when he was performing (I was working the merch table) and then he'd look over at Travis and I after his set and get a slightly annoyed look on his face and go find someone to talk to.

But, I kept trying to talk to him and he seemed to want nothing to do with me! As the night progressed, the guys that were in another band who played after Jamie that night invited us all to a party at their house. Jamie had met up with an incredibly sleazy and incredibly drunk girl and insisted on riding to the house with her. Travis and I (who were both sober) didn't want to go with them to the party, but after Jamie insisted that I come, we both agreed it would be best to go and keep an eye on him. We didn't want him to get into the car with the drunk girl, but he got in and drove away so fast we had no choice. We barely made it into my car fast enough to follow them!

All during the party, he hung out with that girl and some of her sleazy friends who all had big crushes on him. We ended up staying out all night and finally got back to the car around 6:30 AM. Travis and I kept telling him that we needed to leave and he needed sleep before his flight, but the girl he was with kept talking him into staying longer. He apologized to me for having to put up with him in that state, but I don't think he completely meant it.

We only got about 3hrs of sleep before I had to take him to the airport. The next day, he apologized and I really think he meant it that time. But, after that, I hardly heard from him at all. We e-mailed about once a month compared to the usual 1-2 times per week. Then, all of the sudden, he e-mailed me and told me that he was coming to town a month later and was really excited about it. He gave me his performance schedule and flight times, and asked if I could take him to and from the airport. I told him that I could, and that he could stay with me at my parent's house because I don't have the apt. during summer (I only live on campus during school).

He e-mailed me back about a week later and told me that he wasn't coming to town after all, because his show somehow conflicted with some other band's show, but he asked me to book him at my school when I get back. I told him I would and then informed him that I would be going to California with some friends (2 guys) later in the summer. I asked if he could give me the names of some good hotels that weren't too expensive and also if he was still willing to show me around. I also told him that Travis and I had broken up, because I knew that Travis would be going to his show in Seattle and that they tentatively planned on hanging out the last time Jamie was here.

He e-mailed me back and told me that he contacted Travis and they planned to hang out when he was in Seattle for the show (2 weeks ago) and then bragged about how he was on the tour bus with his semi-famous musician friend. He didn't say anything about California!! So, I e-mailed him back and asked him again about Cali. After a few days, I called him and had to leave a message. I talked to Travis about Jamie's show in Seattle and he said that Jamie dedicated Travis' favorite song to him and they hung out after the show. Jamie brought his distributer, Kyle, with him to the show, and Kyle asked how Jamie and Travis knew each other. Travis told him that I had introduced them, and Jamie said to Kyle "that's the girl I was telling you about, remember?"

I don't know what he told Kyle about me though, and neither did Travis. After about 2 weeks of not hearing from Jamie, I finally e-mailed him and directly asked him what was up. I also apologized for the last time he was here, because I think that, despite all of my efforts, he did feel a little left out (perhaps even jealous?). Then I told him to call me when he got the chance. I still haven't heard from him!!

I really need to talk to him because I'm not going to Cali with the boys anymore (they couldn't get time off from work) so I'm changing the dates and everything around a little bit. I also don't have a place to stay anymore, and would appreciate his help with that! So, I'm just wondering what I should do. Despite all of this, I still somehow have feelings for him and definitely want to hang out while I'm there if it's possible.

Should I call him and leave a message like: "Hey Jamie, I was just wondering if you were still alive. I hope so, because if you aren't, it would take all the fun out of me killing you for not calling me back!! I'm not going to Cali with the boys anymore and have changed my plans a little bit, so I really need to talk to you about what hotel to stay at and some other things. Call me back!!" Maybe he'd respond to that? I don't know.

He is busy playing shows almost every night, but I know for a fact that he's online at least a few hours per day and could spend the extra 15 minutes calling me back. What do you guys think? I really need your help!! Thanks in advance!

Lauren

VirginiaBob

"Why is he ignoring me??"

chances are, he doesn't think you are hot enough to sport-****.

He's ignoring you because he doesn't care all that much about you. Sucks, but it is true.

Also, try putting in pararaph breaks into your posts, it'll make them easier to read.

• Author

OK. That's fine if he's not interested. But, we're still supposed to be friends. We've been friends for a year now. So, from a strictly friends standpoint, what should I do? Should I call or e-mail?

Lauren

What is your main reason in going to calif? Is it to see him? If this is it I would tell him or e-mail him of your dates and if he doesn't respond then you know he doesn't want to be with you anymore ( not even as friends ).

I would just do your musical thing and let it go. His interest seems to have changed so concentrate on your career and let him do the same.

• Author

Thanks, marshbear. My main reason for going to California is to tour a few schools out there because I want to transfer. And I just love it there, so I wanted to spend my free time surfing, at the museums, or just hanging out at the beach. Seeing him would be nice, but I'm not going to base my entire trip around it. We just have/had a lot of fun together and I was hoping he could show me around. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Lauren

Privateeye

Hi, im having a bit of a difficult time with a friend. She's only a few months older than me, and we met a few years ago in college, we met through an old friend of mine, her boyfriend at the time.

They split up about a month and a half ago, which suited me fine, since i wanted to be more than friends with her. I didnt know she knew this however (i was building up to asking her out). Anyway, we had the year 13 prom recently, and that is when the problem started.

She got drunk (we all did) and got ill. A bit later on, and me and another friend helped her up to her room, and the two of us (my other friend, another woman) went back to the party.

A few hours later we all went back up yo the room to continue the party there. I went on ahead to make sure she was ok with this. When i got there she was being helped out of her dress by some more female friends and then out to bed again, she said it was ok for the party to continue. Well, it did and again an hour later, another of my friends, (male) became ill.

Everyone else left to go to another room, and i got told to look after them, since i had sobered up a bit. I did this, just so you know, because i wanted to make sure they were ok, nothing else, i even looked away from her until i had given her a change of clothes, as to avoid embaressment. When she needed to go to the toilet, i walked her to and from them, because she wasn't steady on her legs.

Anyway, she seemed happy with the help, and so i didnt suspect anything. The next morning, we were happily talking, and again, nothing odd.

I noticed that she didnt seem to be on MSN anymore, but since it had crashed on her a lot recently, i didnt think anything of it. I was talking to another friend whom i asked if anyone else i knew was online, and her name came up. She has now had me blocked for a week, and when i spoke to her yesterday via a proxy, she told me she didnt want to hear my sside of the story, and that i had "creeped her out".

I really value her friendship and want her to hear my side of the story, but she wont listen. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Oh, and on the first one, he doesnt seem to care much about you, but i wouldnt completely give up all hope, i'd move on, but if he tries to get in contact again, id see what happens.

"Hey Jamie, I was just wondering if you were still alive. I hope so, because if you aren't, it would take all the fun out of me killing you for not calling me back!! I'm not going to Cali with he boys anymore and have changed me plans a little bit, so I really need to talk to you about what hotel to stay at and some other things. Call me back!!"

I like this email! Esp the first line, that was a good one! :laugh:

I do think he's being a bit shady..but you know it may have nothing to do with you. Maybe he just thinks the distance would be too far to really invest his feelings/emotions into you. Unless you were willing to move to Cali to be wtih him, he may think its just a waste of time.

Originally posted by Lauren83

The next day, I had 1 class, so I went and let him sleep in. When I got back, he was just getting out of the shower and asked me if I minded ironing his shirt. I said I didn't, and ironed his shirt while he finished getting ready and drying his hair. He told me "thanks" a few times as I was ironing and then said "this seems a little...." and then kind of laughed. I laughed too because I knew what he meant. It seemed like we were married or something. But I didn't freak me out at all, and he didn't seem to mind it either!

At the time, he likely mentioned that because I suspect (as you likely suspect), that he enjoyed the feeling that you both had being together. Even if it was while doing something for him as chore-like as ironing, you wanted (enjoyed?) to do it for him. ;)

After he got ready, we went to lunch and to see "Hitch" (which was an unusual choice compared to his preference of comedies and action movies) before his show. We talked about California, and how much I wanted to move there. He was trying to talk me into moving out there ASAP and said that I would love it. I told him I would probably be coming for a visit during the summer, and he said he couldn't wait show me around when I go.

Hitch. What else? :rolleyes: I like it. :)IMHO, he would have LOVED to have gotten you out there ASAP because, afterall, at the time he would have gotten you in the place where he most wanted you to be ... with him. (Lauren ... you have already had this suspicion, right?)

[side note: At that time, however, I was dating another guy named Travis. Travis is from Seattle, is a total outdoorsman, a human rights activist, and has a really big heart. He's just a sweet guy. However, our family backgrounds couldn't be more different. He's also an atheist, and my family isn't exactly fond of him. Nobody really thought we fit together, but we got along great so we tried to make it work. I only dated Travis for 3 weeks, but we're still good friends.]

And, of course, that was the "stick in the eye" to Jamie, who was perhaps deeply disappointed ... and then ...

Anyway, Jamie acted very nervous and standoff-ish around me after he met Travis at the show that night and found out we were dating. I made sure that the few times Travis was with me we didn't make him feel left out. On the contrary, he and Travis talked a lot and became pretty good friends.

His heart may have been broken, but he appears to have been man enough to be cordial, and was a good friend even to Travis who, he may have thought at the time, really had your heart ... something he very much wanted himself.

The last night Jamie was in town, he had a show at a club and got a little drunk. My friends told me that he kept looking over at me when he was performing (I was working the merch table) and then he'd look over at Travis and I after his set and get a slightly annoyed look on his face and go find someone to talk to.

You know (and knew then) how Jamie felt about you, right?

But, I kept trying to talk to him and he seemed to want nothing to do with me!

Lauren, we're all adults, here. You wanted him to be happy, but you also knew why he was not. Am I wrong?

As the night progressed, the guys that were in another band who played after Jamie that night invited us all to a party at their house. Jamie had met up with an incredibly sleazy and incredibly drunk girl and insisted on riding to the house with her. Travis and I (who were both sober) didn't want to go with them to the party, but after Jamie insisted that I come, we both agreed it would be best to go and keep an eye on him. We didn't want him to get into the car with the drunk girl, but he got in and drove away so fast we had no choice. We barely made it into my car fast enough to follow them!

I would have loved to have been there, and able to feel what you were feeling at the time, as Jamie drove off with the chick in question. How did you, yourself, feel in your own heart about that, at the time?

All during the party, he hung out with that girl and some of her sleazy friends who all had big crushes on him.

Please forgive me if I'm stepping out-of-line on this, but something tells me their attention to him made you feel quite "uncomfortable." Think about that possibility before responding one way or the other, Lauren. I invite you to look into your heart on that issue.

We ended up staying out all night and finally got back to the car around 6:30 AM. Travis and I kept telling him that we needed to leave and he needed sleep before his flight, but the girl he was with kept talking him into staying longer. He apologized to me for having to put up with him in that state, but I don't think he completely meant it.

Hey, I dunno ... but he was perhaps more than a little heartbroken, and needed comfort. He, being a gentleman, did apologize as he likely felt guilty for having taken advantage of a person he cared so much for. Nonetheless, he was likely quite hurt in spirit.

We only got about 3hrs of sleep before I had to take him to the airport. The next day, he apologized and I really think he meant it that time. But, after that, I hardly heard from him at all. We e-mailed about once a month compared to the usual 1-2 times per week. Then, all of the sudden, he e-mailed me and told me that he was coming to town a month later and was really excited about it.

Question: Why would that happen, if it was not because he likely felt that even trying to connect with you further would only hurt his heart more. Un-shared affection is not good for anyone, male or female.

He didn't say anything about California!! So, I e-mailed him back and asked him again about Cali. After a few days, I called him and had to leave a message. I talked to Travis about Jamie's show in Seattle and he said that Jamie dedicated Travis' favorite song to him and they hung out after the show. Jamie brought his distributer, Kyle, with him to the show, and Kyle asked how Jamie and Travis knew each other. Travis told him that I had introduced them, and Jamie said to Kyle "that's the girl I was telling you about, remember?"

He was likely trying to move on. As far as what he said, who knows ... maybe that he wanted you? Maybe that he didn't realize you were "taken" until his heart was too far in ? Or not ... it's hard to say ... but you go on to say that you "still haven't heard from him!!" Being truthful here, given his job, and given the way the dude likely felt about you ... I'd be keeping my distance too. Again, un-returned affection ... etc.

Despite all of this, I still somehow have feelings for him[/b] and definitely want to hang out while I'm there if it's possible.

Lauren ... I only have one question to ask. I want you to search your heart about it before you answer it:

When you met him, and started to hang out (iron :p ) and whatnot with him, would you not enjoyed being his girl then? In other words, would I be incorrect in assuming that the "still" that I bolded out in the quote above, could easily be read to mean that you always have wanted to be with him, but never made that choice at the time? Hey ... what do I know? :confused:

Should I call him and leave a message like: "Hey Jamie, I was just wondering if you were still alive. I hope so, because if you aren't, it would take all the fun out of me killing you for not calling me back!! I'm not going to Cali with the boys anymore and have changed my plans a little bit, so I really need to talk to you about what hotel to stay at and some other things. Call me back!!" Maybe he'd respond to that? I don't know.

He is busy playing shows almost every night, but I know for a fact that he's online at least a few hours per day and could spend the extra 15 minutes calling me back. What do you guys think? I really need your help!! Thanks in advance!

Lauren

Before you call, more for yourself than for us here, I think you need to answer that question above. Maybe it's time to tell him more than your arrival time.

Give us your thoughts.

Curt

• Author
Originally posted by Curt

At the time, he likely mentioned that because I suspect (as you likely suspect), that he enjoyed the feeling that you both had being together. Even if it was while doing something for him as chore-like as ironing, you wanted (enjoyed?) to do it for him. ;)

Yes, you're exactly right. It just came so naturally to us both, that I had to step back in order to notice it.

Hitch. What else? :rolleyes: I like it. :)IMHO, he would have LOVED to have gotten you out there ASAP because, afterall, at the time he would have gotten you in the place where he most wanted you to be ... with him. (Lauren ... you have already had this suspicion, right?)

Yes, I have this suspicion, but I don't understand why he hasn't made a move yet? I mean, we've known each other for almost 2yrs now. I've made it clear on every occasion (except for the last one) that I was interested in him (with extra flirting, etc...) and he didn't seem to respond one way or the other.

And, of course, that was the "stick in the eye" to Jamie, who was perhaps deeply disappointed ... and then ...

His heart may have been broken, but he appears to have been man enough to be cordial, and was a good friend even to Travis who, he may have thought at the time, really had your heart ... something he very much wanted himself.

You know (and knew then) how Jamie felt about you, right?

I guess. It's just so hard to tell with him!!

Lauren, we're all adults, here. You wanted him to be happy, but you also knew why he was not. Am I wrong?

Yes, you're right. But I was so frustrated with the whole situation that I didn't know what to do. I mean, the strongest emotions Jamie had ever shown toward me were when he found out I was with Travis. All the other times we were together, he sent me mixed signals. I guess Jamie thought I would always be single whenever he finally worked up the courage to tell me how he felt. But I wasn't sure, and I didn't want to miss out on being with a really great guy and that possible working out. I'm not the type of person to wait around and miss opportunities, you know?

I would have loved to have been there, and able to feel what you were feeling at the time, as Jamie drove off with the chick in question. How did you, yourself, feel in your own heart about that, at the time?

It made me sick to see him with her. Which is, I'm sure, what he felt when he saw me with Travis. I think that's what he was trying to show me that night. Maybe he wanted me to feel like he felt? I don't know. But it worked. The whole time I was with Travis, it was enjoyable, but we never really clicked. Not like Jamie and I do.

Please forgive me if I'm stepping out-of-line on this, but something tells me their attention to him made you feel quite "uncomfortable." Think about that possibility before responding one way or the other, Lauren. I invite you to look into your heart on that issue.

You're not stepping out of line. I welcome the honesty! You're right. I was a little jealous of the attention he was getting from them, and giving to them.

Hey, I dunno ... but he was perhaps more than a little heartbroken, and needed comfort. He, being a gentleman, did apologize as he likely felt guilty for having taken advantage of a person he cared so much for. Nonetheless, he was likely quite hurt in spirit.

Reading that makes my heart ache, because I never wanted him to feel that way. Especially because of me.

Question: Why would that happen, if it was not because he likely felt that even trying to connect with you further would only hurt his heart more. Un-shared affection is not good for anyone, male or female.

I don't know. I guess you're right (again). I just miss hearing from him. I still haven't received a call back or an e-mail. I just had/have a feeling about him and I hoped that the friendship we had built up until that time would be strong enough to prevent something like this from happening.

He was likely trying to move on. As far as what he said, who knows ... maybe that he wanted you? Maybe that he didn't realize you were "taken" until his heart was too far in ? Or not ... it's hard to say ... but you go on to say that you "still haven't heard from him!!" Being truthful here, given his job, and given the way the dude likely felt about you ... I'd be keeping my distance too. Again, un-returned affection ... etc.

Let me ask you a question: do you think it's too late? How could I let him know that it's really over between me and Travis, and that I'm still (and always have been) interested in him? Do you even think it's wise to start something like this when we live so far away? We do see each other a few times per year, and I could probably visit during school breaks, but I'm not exactly sure when I can move out to Cali. I definitely plan to in the near future though.

Lauren ... I only have one question to ask. I want you to search your heart about it before you answer it:

When you met him, and started to hang out (iron :p ) and whatnot with him, would you not enjoyed being his girl then? In other words, would I be incorrect in assuming that the "still" that I bolded out in the quote above, could easily be read to mean that you always have wanted to be with him, but never made that choice at the time? Hey ... what do I know? :confused:

Before you call, more for yourself than for us here, I think you need to answer that question above. Maybe it's time to tell him more than your arrival time.

Give us your thoughts.

Curt

Yes, I have always wanted to be with him. From day one. I still do!! I just didn't feel like he was returning my affections at first. One month after we met, he started dating another girl from New York. After that, I think he dated one other girl. But he is currently single. I guess I thought that if he truly was interested, he would have said something by now. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to tell him how I feel right now. Especially over the phone. Maybe it would be better in person?? He's not the type of guy that talks openly about his feelings, so I don't want to freak him out or anything. I'm still very, very confused. Thanks for shedding some light onto the situation. If you have any further advice, I would love to hear it!! Thanks again! :)

Lauren

• 3 weeks later...
  • Author

Hello all,

I just wanted to post an update on my situation.... about a week ago (9 days), Jamie called me and left a message (I wasn't home). He said: "Lauren!! This is Jamie. I cannot believe how long it's been since I've talked to you!! It's my fault, of course, and I'm very very sorry. I've been so busy lately and I've been trying to find that moment where I can sit down and talk to you without having to say 'I gotta go' after five minutes. I've been doing this MTV show and it's been taking up so much time, but it's a lot of fun. I'll tell you about it, if you haven't heard. Are you still coming to California? What's been going on with you? Just give me a call when you have the time. Talk to you later. Bye."

So... I called him back about an hour later and got his voicemail. I left him a message, and he hasn't called me back since. I don't know what the heck is going on with him, and now I'm even more confused. Why hasn't he called me back by now? If he called me, and wanted me to return his call, why didn't he answer when I called?? I guess he has been really busy, but he goes on his website every few days to answer fans' questions on the message board and I know that takes some time. If he can do that, he can surely return my call, right? If anyone can give me any insight on what he might be thinking or why he hasn't called, that would be fantastic! Do you think we still have a chance? I just can't seem to get over him. I'm afraid I'll always have feelings for him. I just hope he still feels the same way about me.

Lauren

I just think -> HE'S NOT THAT INTO YOU!

When a man is truly, REALLY, interested, he will pursue a female, period.

As u mentioned urself -> he has time to answer his fans' questions on the msg board, but can't call u back??

Sorry hun. This doesn't look good.

If I was you, I would just 'llow the situation. Def don't wait him for him (afterall, u dont wanna miss out on any

good opportunities rite?)... but if and when he DOES come knocking, deal with it at that time.

if not, HIS loss not yours!

L.

• 1 month later...
big_girls_rock

LoL Lianya! I seriously was gonna say that same thing! saw it on Oprah- yeah Lauren Im so sorry that you have to go through this- first off- your friend is a user from what I read- he comes to you when he needs something- so far its been about him,,him. and more him- with the whole staying at your place and the ironling of the shirt- yeah I would do those same things to service my friends but it seems hes putting no efforts towards your friendship. Fame can be tough especially on friends. And I also noticed how he only calls and apologizes when he feels hes lost your interest but the apologies seem to always be followed by an excuse- Im sorry but I? There is no I in relationships period and if he felt the same way about you that you do about him he would break his kneck with trying to talk to you as much as you do him. Keep your head up girl but if its like this now and hes moving up its only gonna get worse.

Do you think we still have a chance? I just can't seem to get over him. I'm afraid I'll always have feelings for him. I just hope he still feels the same way about me.

Lauren,

What's happened since you posted last?

Curt