I'm flaking

My college roommate is taking her daughters to a Broadway play in a few weeks. I said I'd go & she gave me the link to buy a ticket a few months ago. I didn't initially buy the ticket. Then I forgot. Now there are no seats by them. I have no interest in that show so I really don't want to sit by myself.

If I offer to meet them for dinner after is that sooooo bad? I can't do lunch before.

I feel bad because she planned this & I flaked.

is this the type of production that hits the resale market, sites like Stubhub? Might be suitable seats there but only you can decide if the situation merits that kind of investment.

To me, hosting a dinner seems like a good compromise - but I'm not her. You may find out just how good the friendship really is...

Mr. Lucky

• Author
is this the type of production that hits the resale market, sites like Stubhub? Might be suitable seats there but only you can decide if the situation merits that kind of investment.

To me, hosting a dinner seems like a good compromise - but I'm not her. You may find out just how good the friendship really is...

The friendship is 30 years old. Even if she's understandably miffed at me, this won't end the relationship.

I can still get retail tickets just not sitting by her & her girls. I'd be a few rows away. I have zero interest in the production but would love to see her & her daughters. My lack of interest in the show is what caused me to drag my feet. It's a Disney show. . . yuck.

I just feel bad for being unreliable.

Why not explain your situation to her like you explained it to us, she'll probably be understanding

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

Can't speak for her, but I'd have no issue with this. I don't get easily butthurt about stuff like this, though.

• Like 1

Just buy some crap tickets not near them so as not to break a promise. I imagine she is looking forward to dinner or drinks and maybe she'll let you know ahead of time. At least you'll be there and see her in the lobby.

My college roommate is taking her daughters to a Broadway play in a few weeks. I said I'd go & she gave me the link to buy a ticket a few months ago. I didn't initially buy the ticket. Then I forgot. Now there are no seats by them. I have no interest in that show so I really don't want to sit by myself.

If I offer to meet them for dinner after is that sooooo bad? I can't do lunch before.

I feel bad because she planned this & I flaked.

meeting them for dinner after is fine. take a small gift with you and apologize profusely.

Happy Lemming

You are not flaking, you are preoccupied with other priorities, right now. This happens to all of us.

I keep a pad of paper next to my computer and am constantly jotting down notes and chores, etc. I have a big sign reminding me to put out the garbage cans on pickup day, which is the same day every week and I can't remember without the sign above the computer monitor. I've got notes all over my calendar and other reminders here and there. For me, I think it is just part of the aging process.

Don't beat yourself up.

Like others have suggested, meet them for dinner afterwards. It will be fine.

Blue skies...

• Like 1
mrs rubble

You're not flaking if you're planning on trying to meet up with them for a meal instead, just explain that you left it too long, now can't sit with them, and you're not too interested in the show, but you want to see them.

Maybe you could get her girls some type of merchandise from the show to make up for it??

Maybe you could get her girls some type of merchandise from the show to make up for it??

a coupla t-shirts couldn't hurt

• Like 1

That's not flaking. It would be flaking if you didn't go at at all. Say you couldn't get a seat next to them and meet them for dinner.