Do Men Go on Vacation Alone?

Do people - specifically men - go on vacations/cruises by themselves? Especially if they are older, not married, no kids, etc? Is it a pretty common thing, especially with guys? I'm asking because I have a friend who is going on a vacation, and I'm curious whether or not he's going alone. He's gone alone on vacation plenty of times in the past. But I'm wondering if it's a common thing for men and/or older singles to do.

Also, as a single woman (not married, with one kid), what would be a good vacation to go on? I may have some time at the end of the summer so I'm considering planning something.

sure, men go on vacations alone. I went on a 7-day Caribbean cruise in 1999 by myself. There weren't a lot of singles to hang out with, however.

I've gone on vacations, trips, long weekends alone. Sometimes I may try to meet someone, and sometimes I just want solitude and a change of environment. I've gone when single, and when married or dating someone. It depends on my goal for the trip.

I've gone on vacations alone, both while married (wife had to work) and while single (many, many times). Main nice thing about having a companion is someone to share the driving on a ground vacation. Once out in the mix it's easy to meet people. Longest vacation I did while married was a week in New Zealand. Longest while single was a month in Africa (safari). The NZ deal was more a facilitator to work some deals to get my wife and I to Australia the following year for a month. That was back when I was playing the travel game. Spent much of the time in-country with a doctor I'd met on a travel board. He showed me around.

IME with male friends, most of whom got married the first time at a young age and have been married most of their lives, they don't do alone stuff. I was an only child and lived single for decades so was used to it. Companions were/are always optional. I did have some good times with my wife around the planet. Hope she did too. She did comment after we divorced that she missed her travel buddy. Heh....

PegNosePete

I've been alone many times. Hiking in Austria, trekking in Nepal (although that was with a group I booked alone and didn't know anyone else until I got there), skiing in Italy, etc. When you're on your own you can do whatever you want without having to check with anyone or consider anyone else's interests, tiredness, desires, etc.

Also, as a single woman (not married, with one kid), what would be a good vacation to go on?

Well, that would depend on your interests. Do you like sitting on a beach, partying in discos, hiking in the wilderness, exploring ancient ruins, watching wildlife, cocktails at sunset, climbing mountains, relaxing in a spa, etc?

• Author

Thank you! This actually makes me feel better! I wasn't sure if my "friend" was going with a woman or not. He's a bit of a loner, but you never know!

PegNosePete - I like doing a lot of things - one day I could be sitting on the beach, but then the next day, exploring ruins/history, or climbing mountains, or doing adventurous stuff. I'm pretty much up for anything. I like warm environments. I thought of a cruise because it takes you to different cities, but I'm not sure yet.

I like going places alone unfortunately my girlfriend isn't a big fan of me doing it so it doesn't happen much anymore.

But if she didn't make the effort to do the stuff I like to do then I would.

A LOT

The one I "don't get" is spouses taking separate vaca's and that I see quite a bit. I know why I don't get it as the wife and I are wired to spend as much time together as we can. I do understand those that need and enjoy self time.

bathtub-row

I had a guy tell me once that he went on an Alaskan cruise in order to meet women. But he said he was sorely disappointed because there were a bunch of old people on the cruise. Lol.

• Like 1

Ha, ha, Holland America, the mortuary ships :D

We went on one to Alaska with them, rolled the place up at 9pm. Cool thing was one could catch a late movie in the theater and be the only people there.

I never went on a cruise alone mainly due to the single supplement. Didn't feel it was worth it. I'm not a roommate person. Always have lived alone except when married.

• Like 1

It's not ideal to go on a cruise alone because you end up paying double since the tiny cabins are for two people. But someone with lots of money, older guy, probably would find lots of women on a cruise to talk to and have fun with.

I don't know if men go on vacations alone typically or not, but I can tell you as a woman, I have gone on 80 percent of my vacations alone. I find having someone around can ruin my plans, depending what it is I'm doing.

• Like 1

I went to Singapore alone a few years ago to watch a F1 race after a number of brief non-vacation trips there prior. Watching the recent summit it was cool to see some familiar landmarks. Maybe purpose vacations are more a guy thing, IDK. Most of mine have been to do something specific, interest-related, not a more free-form travel focus.

Relationship-oriented travel was mostly to Europe and FSU. Still it was a purpose, not just showing up and whatever. Sightseeing was part of it but that was mostly with the ladies I met.

I did most of my solo vacation travel when younger, 20's-40's. Now it's usually visiting or meeting up with friends at distant locations, so not solo. I've become more of a homebody growing older.

OP, responsibilities and disposable cash have an impact on older solo guy travel too. That could be work, grandkids, pets, community obligations, volunteering, etc.

I've noticed when putting together travel stuff, like meeting up with male friends, they always tell me to talk to their wives since 'she's the travel planner'. They show up. It's no coincidence that they rarely travel alone, vacations or otherwise.

frigginlost

I never went on vacations alone in my entire life. Always with family, then girls I dated, then with my ex-wife. After my divorce almost a decade ago I forced myself to go on a vacation alone. It was the most miserable trip I ever took. I hated it. I was depressed and had never felt more alone in my life.

A year and a half later, I took another one, and absolutely loved it.

Now being single for just about two and a half years, I go on vacations by myself all the time. Plenty of money to do it, I do whatever I want, go to wherever I want, and just roll with the flow while on them.

I *love* vacationing by myself now.

• Like 2

married, and a firm believer in separate vacations, though every so often we do something just for us that doesn't involve hanging out with either of our families.

I like it because I don't have to sit around doing old man stuff; he likes it because he's not forced to socialize with groups of women who like to stay up late talking or going to "girl" restaurants :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 1
  • Author
It's not ideal to go on a cruise alone because you end up paying double since the tiny cabins are for two people. But someone with lots of money, older guy, probably would find lots of women on a cruise to talk to and have fun with.

I don't know if men go on vacations alone typically or not, but I can tell you as a woman, I have gone on 80 percent of my vacations alone. I find having someone around can ruin my plans, depending what it is I'm doing.

Cruises make you bunk with someone else if you're single? Ew!

Yes, he's a little older with more money.

• Author
I never went on vacations alone in my entire life. Always with family, then girls I dated, then with my ex-wife. After my divorce almost a decade ago I forced myself to go on a vacation alone. It was the most miserable trip I ever took. I hated it. I was depressed and had never felt more alone in my life.

A year and a half later, I took another one, and absolutely loved it.

Now being single for just about two and a half years, I go on vacations by myself all the time. Plenty of money to do it, I do whatever I want, go to wherever I want, and just roll with the flow while on them.

I *love* vacationing by myself now.

Good for you! :-)

• Author

Relationship-oriented travel was mostly to Europe and FSU. Still it was a purpose, not just showing up and whatever. Sightseeing was part of it but that was mostly with the ladies I met.

I did most of my solo vacation travel when younger, 20's-40's. Now it's usually visiting or meeting up with friends at distant locations, so not solo. I've become more of a homebody growing older.

OP, responsibilities and disposable cash have an impact on older solo guy travel too. That could be work, grandkids, pets, community obligations, volunteering, etc.

Good to know! thank you.

This guy I'm speaking of is late 40s, no grandkids (no kids), pets, etc; and he going to cruise Scandanavia, Russia, a few other places. Not sure if he's going alone or not. It's a mystery, and I can't control whether he is or not, so I guess I should just let go of my negative thinking and hope for the best.

• Author
I had a guy tell me once that he went on an Alaskan cruise in order to meet women. But he said he was sorely disappointed because there were a bunch of old people on the cruise. Lol.

That always happens - when you look, you don't find! :-) I hope your friend is doing better.

I did before I started dating and met Timshel. Used to go down to St. Petersburg every year and see the Red Sox play. Would book a room by myself, see 2-3 games, enjoy the weather and the beach. Just walk around and explore. The most I socialized the whole trip was exchanging a few lines of small talk with the fans around me. It was awesome. :)

Pay the single supplement and you get the cabin to yourself. Usually it's double the normal cruise fare but not always. Also, with some deals it's worth it paying double. I remember we did a TransAt on Princess for 199/per person inside. I'd have paid the single supplement on that deal. Smokin good deal. Southampton to New York 7 days for 200 bucks per person. They were moving the ship from the Med to the Caribbean and gave it away to fill it up.

Cruises make you bunk with someone else if you're single? Ew!

Yes, he's a little older with more money.

Some guys will buy an RV and head out. We run into single older men at campgrounds all the time. I see them a lot on fishing vacations up at my new place. RV towing a fishing boat.

Happy Lemming

The majority of my vacations/trips/adventures have been by myself and I very much enjoy them.

• Like 1

Going on vacation alone gives one time to be introspective and not have to worry about missing out on things because the partner wants to do something different.

While I was in my relationship I spent a lot of time on "vacations" alone. Some were hiking or mountain biking trips, things my ex wasn't interested in. Some she just couldn't afford to go on or had other commitments, while I just needed a break desperately and had to get away. And some vacations I just tacked on to the end of a conference - I took 2 weeks off after a conference in the US (I'd never visited before, so it's unfair to travel across the world for a week!). We did take vacations together sometimes too, although normally shorter distances.

So to answer the question, yes. But so do women. Spending the time alone doesn't really have to signify anything - I'd hope that if a partner does that to me, I'd expect her back refreshed and happy :)

PegNosePete
PegNosePete - I like doing a lot of things - one day I could be sitting on the beach, but then the next day, exploring ruins/history, or climbing mountains, or doing adventurous stuff. I'm pretty much up for anything. I like warm environments. I thought of a cruise because it takes you to different cities, but I'm not sure yet.

I wouldn't recommend a cruise. It will be mostly couples and you won't have much time in each place.

Where abouts do you live, what's your budget, and what time of year are you looking at?

For low budget I'd say Amalfi Coast, Mexico, Cuba.

For mid budget, Lesser Antilles, Alps.

For higher budget, Galapagos, Machu Picchu, Everest Base Camp.

The great thing about going alone is that you can go wherever you want!!