LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Platonic > Friendship

Nobody visited me while I was in hospital. Should I be upset?

Friendship Having issues with a friend? Get it off your chest!

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2018, 7:11 PM   #1
Established Member

Nobody visited me while I was in hospital. Should I be upset?

I consider myself to be from two different cities: my friends are spread between these two cities. I was hospitalised in city A for 5 weeks and in city B for 9 weeks; so I canít spare any of my friends the blame, whether they be city A friends or city B friends.

That either means I have no meaningful relationships in my life or Iím over reacting being sad. I already know the former to be true. But this is also a good litmus test for who cares about me in my life, and how good my Ďfriendsí really are. Are they still friends. Are they but I just shouldnít expect them to visit me in hospital? Should that act be reserved for family.

All I could think about enviously is the cards and balloons and visitations the people around me would be getting if they were in hospital. The company I never got.
Old 1st March 2018, 7:23 PM   #2
Established Member

Wow, glad you're OK. I mean my mom had part of her brain removed and she was only in the medical hospital for a bit over a week, then 30 days in rehab to learn her ADL's again. Sheesh, 14 weeks in two hospitals?

I can see how that would be frustrating and disheartening. One would think at that point people would be wondering if you were dead. I presume you did have some visitors, just not friends.

About the only friends I've visited in person in the hospital are close ones who've gone through major surgeries or cancer stuff. I'll clear it with their spouse for timing since they were always up on things.

Myself, with family dead and living alone, I wouldn't expect any visitors. Sure, that'd be nice but not an expectation. Get in, get it fixed, get out ASAP and back to living. Hope I never have to find out. Being a visitor has been enough for me.

Best wishes for a complete recovery!
carhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2018, 7:33 PM   #3
Established Member

People are weird about visiting people in hospitals. There are only a few I'd go to but I'd send a card or at least a FB message to many. People don't want to be in the way.

I'm sorry you feel abandoned.

Some times you need to be more proactive. If you were active on social media you may have sent out a plea or invitation . . . Stuck here & bored. Would welcome visitors. I posted something like that when I was sitting vigil as my mother was dying. Some people came. It helped.
d0nnivain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2018, 8:31 PM   #4
Established Member

Is it possible they knew you were in the hospital but didn't know which one or for how long? I would feel bad too. Hope you're feeling better now.
Old 2nd March 2018, 12:25 AM   #5
Established Member

I know I'm a sensitive guy. It would totally make me feel bad if nobody I loved or cared for visited me if I was in your situation; especially the duration you were there.

My sister has been in the hospital for a week now and I've gone to visit her every day and the hospital is an hour away from where I live. Every time I leave she starts to cry and I hold in my tears till I leave the room but I know we feel the same.
loverboy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 1:15 AM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nnivain View Post
People are weird about visiting people in hospitals. There are only a few I'd go to but I'd send a card or at least a FB message to many. People don't want to be in the way.
I agree with d0nnivain... I try to send a card if the hospital is too far away. I can say the farthest I've traveled to visit a friend in the hospital was a drive of 2.5 hours. I took that person a book with 2500 jokes in it, so they could laugh and pass the time, as I knew I couldn't make a repeat trip.

I did send a card to a friend/business associate when he was hospitalized, last year. He lives about 12 hours away. He later told me, no one visited him in the hospital and I was the only one who sent him a "Get Well" card. He told me, he is going to be more careful about who he calls "friend".

Last edited by Happy Lemming; 2nd March 2018 at 1:17 AM..
Happy Lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 8:27 AM   #7
Established Member

Awww.....I can understand why that would bum you out. That being said I don't think my friends would visit me either. I only have a few friends and I just don't think they would visit.
anika99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 8:39 AM   #8
Established Member

If they knew you were in the hospital and still didnít come then donít consider them close friends. Youíre right when you say this is a litmus test for who really cares about you. I would be upset too. If itís any consolation, as things stand, I think I wouldíve got only a handful of visitors at most. I hope youíve fully recovered from your illness.
Old 2nd March 2018, 11:22 AM   #9

I'm very sorry you were ill and that your friends hurt you.

I can't speak for all of your friends, but I know that I personally am squeamish about hospitals after my parents both spent years in them before passing away when I was very young. I spent many hours there with them and it was traumatic..so now I struggle to visit hospitals myself.

Perhaps some of your friends have similar stories?
CatMinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 12:02 PM   #10
Established Member

I think this is more of a reflection that you don't have any close friendships. I have a lot friends, but I'd only visit the very closest ones in the hospital because it can be very "intimate" to see someone in a gown, usually not showered, being attended to by nurses, etc. If most of your friendships aren't that close, they probably just assumed that your closer friends would be visiting you.

I am sad you felt unimportant, though .
CautiouslyOptimistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 12:09 AM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiouslyOptimistic View Post
I think this is more of a reflection that you don't have any close friendships. I have a lot friends, but I'd only visit the very closest ones in the hospital because it can be very "intimate" to see someone in a gown, usually not showered, being attended to by nurses, etc. If most of your friendships aren't that close, they probably just assumed that your closer friends would be visiting you.

Well said!
loverboy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 9:27 AM   #12
Established Member

You cant control what others do, you can only control your reaction to what they do. If I were you, Id just be glad I were out of the hospital, and move forward.

I wouldnt expect other than family and really close friends to visit you in the hospital. Its not a fun thing to do. And those who did visit Id be very grateful.
Whodatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 12:34 PM   #13
Established Member

This depends on where they live, how far away and whether they have cars or transportation. Usually only very close friends visit.
LuckyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2018, 10:53 AM   #14

I just want to add there is a cultural aspect to it. In some cultures, people are expected to visit you at the hospital (even not so close friends) while in others people feel like it is almost impolite and disrespectful to show up at the hospital (unless you are immediate family). As a matter of fact, hospitals in some places literally prohibit visits from anyone other than immediate family.

The real question for you is: did someone you were expecting/hoping to come visit didn't come? (there are probably one or two people you really wanted there who didn't show up... sorry)
OneParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2018, 6:35 PM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CautiouslyOptimistic View Post

I'm sure everyone assumed my 'closer friends' would be paying the visits. There isn't I mean much too though, then. Except for my family.
ZHguy is offline   Reply With Quote