How do you tell someone

Popsicle

who is nice and tries to engage you in conversation that you don't want to talk about work? I have several friends and family who I speak to often (some daily) who ask me about work, but I hate talking about work, especially when I'm not at work. Is there a way to do this without sounding rude or like I'm shutting them down? I can't think of any way. Sigh.

I suppose it depends what you do for a job. If you have a really interesting job then people probably do want to know about it, but there's no harm in just saying, "I get enough of it when I'm there, I'm doing leisure now." I have a girlfriend who works in the same profession as me and she does shop talk whenever she sees me, and I can see it bores other people silly, (not to mention me), and this is what I say to her. Just say it nicely and there's no harm done. :)

• Like 2

I'd say something along the lines of "I get you're interested in what I do, but it's not all I do. I've had work time, now it's fun/chill time". Not those words but those ideas.

You may not be able to eliminate work talk entirely (it is a huge part of our lives, for better or worse), but minimising it is still an improvement.

• Like 1
who is nice and tries to engage you in conversation that you don't want to talk about work? I have several friends and family who I speak to often (some daily) who ask me about work, but I hate talking about work, especially when I'm not at work. Is there a way to do this without sounding rude or like I'm shutting them down? I can't think of any way. Sigh.

Just say you really don't think about work when you 're not there...just kind of float it out there and eventually they will stop asking

• Like 1

You could try just giving vague answers then redirecting the conversation. "Work's good, how is your family?" Or, "Yeah, I did get that promotion, thanks for asking. Have you seen any good movies lately?"

Or if you really hate your job, it's that much easier to say, "Actually, work is terrible and I'd rather not talk about it and just have a nice time."

• Like 1